What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My best cannabutter recipe - enjoy!

I am really a cannabutter lover. I like to drink my 'Bhang' in the evening and I want to share my recipe, because I often read many questions about cannabutter.

This recipe is especially for the fan leaves, the trim and the males. For all the stuff you wouldn't smoke usually. Don't waste it! I will tell you how to make tasty and very strong cannabutter from it. Your leaves contain more THC than you guess.

Before cooking you must water the leaves or your cannabutter will taste terrible:
Dry your leaves so you can crumble them into small pieces. Use a box and rub the leaves between your hands or use any kitchen device to grind them. Then water your leaves for one or two days in cold water.
I use a 10 Liter/3 gallon bucket and give about 100 g/3.5 ounces of dried leaves into the cold water. I change the water two or three times a day using a second bucket, a strainer and a cheesecloth.
First time you change the water you will have a disgusting brown extract from the leaves. It smells like cleaning an ashtray. This is the reason for the bad taste many people complain about if they make cannabutter.

THC can not be dissolved in water, but in fat. But there is a lot of stuff in the leaves we don't need, which tastes disgusting and which is dissolvable in water. Protein, glucose, chlorophyll and so on. Use cold water, because even if the resin can't be dissolved in water, the resin can gets soft and liquid if warmed up and flushed away. So just use cold water as it comes from the tap and let the bucket rest at roomtemperature.

After one or two days the water gets more and more clear. The better you water your leaves the better will be the taste of your cannabutter.

Don't water your leaves longer than three days, because after such a long time your leaves can rotten in the water. If they rotten it depends also on how often the water was replaced and kept fresh.
To water the leaves before cooking also brings the advantage, that the leaves are already completely soken and soft. Also the smell gets drastically reduced while cooking.

Cooking the leaves with ghee:
Filter your watered leaves, press them out and put them into a big pot (6 Liter, 1,5 - 2 Gallons) and cook them with water and clear butterfat (Ghee). I use 250 g / 9 ounces ghee, for 100 g / 3.5 ounces leaves. Cook the stuff at low heat for 6 - 8 hours. It takes that long to get the THC out of the leaves and bind it to the fat, which will transport the THC into your blood. It is not necessary that it is heavily boiling. Just a bit heat to keep it slightly boiling.

Don't use normal butter or even worse, margarine, because both contain emulsifiers. Emulsifiers mix fat and water and this is something we want to avoid. We want to separate fat and water instead. So use clear butterfat, ghee, which is free of emulsifiers. There are different products in your supermarket depending on your country/continent.

When cooking is finished, filter the water/ghee/leaves-mix through a strainer and a cheesecloth into another pot or bucket. Just put a strainer above a pot/bucket, put a cheesecloth into it and fill the boiling stuff through it.

Flush the cooked leaves in the cheesecloth in the strainer over the bucket with some boiling hot water and press it out with a potatoe masher or something similiar, to get all the butter out of the leaves. It is important to know, that the leaves get soked especially with fat. Not with water. A big part of the ghee is in the leaves which are completely soked. And the THC is in the ghee. You have to flush the ghee out of the leaves many times with a bit boiling hot water, pressing it again and again. To handle the hot stuff properly can be a bit tricky first time. But you will find everything you need in the average kitchen.

After filtering the leaves from the hot water/ghee mix, the hot liquid ghee swims on the hot water and build a layer on the surface. Let the pot/bucket cool down. First in the sink, in cold water from the tap. And then place it at a cool place (balcony, basement). If you don't have a cool place, use crashed ice and give it to the water in the sink, where you placed the bucket for cooling down.

If it is cooled, the ghee gets hard and can be taken easily from the surface of the water. Cut the edge of the ghee and take it out of the bucket. Dry the ghee-pieces on a paper towel.

I like to melt the ghee pieces carefully in a waterbath or in winter more convenient on the heater and fill it in a box and cool it down again. It looks perfectly, like an industrial product from the supermarket. Perfect to storage the cannabutter in the fridge or the freezer. If you want to storage longer than two weeks - freeze it. Frozen you can keep the cannabutter for years.

You can have three harvests! It's possible to cook the leaves a second and a third time and you will get again cannabutter, but weaker. The first crop is the strongest, so use less ghee the second and more less ghee the third time, so THC gets more concentrated. I cook my leaves three times and every time about 8 hours. I recommend to cook at least 6 hours and fill up boiling water if necessary.
To cook the leaves two times that long is recommended and three times is often worth a try.

Use liquid soya lecithin:
If you eat cannabutter, I recommend to combine it with liquid soya lecithin! This will make the effect stronger and it will come faster. I estimate 50%. At least 30%. I don't know if liquid soya lecithin is available in all countries, but this is a common emulsifier. It is often used in chocolate. I get it at a drugstore, but I had to search for. Also look at pharmacies. Get liquid soya lecithin, no crystals.
Of cause you can do it without liquid soya lecithin, but you will need more cannabutter.
edit:
When I wrote this years ago, I just could find liquid soya lecithin or useless crystals. Meanwhile I use soya lecithin powder, which melts in the milk and is highly dissolvable. There is also lecithin available extracted from wheat, if you want to avoid soya for any reason. You can buy everything you need at the usual marketplaces in the web.

My favourite recipe - Bhang:
To prepare Bhang takes just some minutes. Get your cannabutter out of the fridge. Take a scale and weight a couple of grams. Put the cannabutter into a pot together with a cup of milk, a teaspoon of soya lecithin and some honey. Boil it up shortly, just some seconds and stir it with a hand blender, a kitchen mixer or something similiar. When you mix it, it will be immediately a homogenous drink. The cannabutter gets immediately dissolved in the milk by the help of the soya lecithin.

The soya lecithin also helps to bring the fat faster into your blood. And the THC is bound to the fat. If you drink Bhang having an empty belly, the high/stone will hit you within 40 - 60 Minutes and last a couple of hours.

I like to be stoned for the whole evening, with just a cup of 'warm milk with honey and butter', being freed from smoking and rolling joints or using the vaporizer.
Have fun!

But be very careful if you do this the first time and have no experience eating cannabis!! If you have no experience at all, I recommend to start with 2 or 3 gram of this cannabutter and check how you feel. Take more next day if you was disappointed. And believe me, it is better to be disappointed by a too low dosage, than by a too high dosage instead.
If you catched an overdosage: Keep cool, open your window, lay down in bed, listen some calm music, eat some fat or sweet stuff if you can. Drink lots of water and juice. Take vitamin C. Phone a friend.

Last edited:

RandomMan

I Build Things
ICMag Donor
And here I was thinking my butter was better. You've taken this to a whole new level..... Dang!

Thanks for posting!

People need pics...

People need pics...

...so I took some. I just dried some males and collected other stuff and I have enaugh for cannabutter. If you like, watch me making cannabutter the next days. I will post pics day after day. I'm limited to five pics, so I have to split my posts.

I like to share this, because I like this recipe. It is very simple. You don't need much money. It is not even much work. The single steps are done within minutes. All you need is patience. Everybody can do this very easy and I think this not only good for having fun. This is also good for medical use. I consider this as a healthy way to consume cannabis for any purpose.

I did this many many times and this is the result of my experience. I always used ghee because I like the taste. I have no experience with other fats, but generally should this also work with any other fat which is free of emulsifiers.

What I would like to add to my post above:
Cooking the leaves 6 - 8 hours means everything is decarboxylised. You don't have to care anymore.

The amounts of leaves, water and ghee are by rule of thumb. It depends on what you have and what you want to get. This time I use a bit more than 100 g. So my cannabutter will be a bit stronger.

Generelly I recommend to use as much water as possible, while watering and also while cooking. Use the biggest pots you have.

You need for watering:
2 clean buckets 10 Liter / 2,64 gallons, a strainer which fits on the buckets, a cheesecloth.

You need for cooking:
additional a big pot 6 Liter / 1,58 gallons or bigger, a potatoemasher, 250 g / 8.81 ounces ghee.

I water the leaves:

I watered the leaves over night. I replaced the water first time next morning. Second time noon and again in the evening.
I stir the leaves carefully a bit with a big spoon before filtering.

This is the first extract from the leaves. Usually I flush it down the toilet, but for you I gave it into my bathtube, so you can see what it looks like. You have to repeat this procedure a couple of times, until the water is only slightly green and has no bad smell anymore. I will replace the water at least four times over two nights and one day. Maybe longer.
I took more pics from further extracs, so you can watch how the water gets more clear after a while.

Press out your leaves and give them back into a clean bucket. Flush the rests of the leaves on the cheescloth with water down into the bucket and water them again.

You can see that the leaves are already completely soken and sunk down to the bottom of the bucket. Only some stems are still swimming on the surface.

Three pics of the first three extracts to compare colors. Tomorrow I will add more pics, so you can see at which state I start cooking.
Especially the first extract is really disgusting:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
soaking the weed in cold water and change several times is exactly what I do ...never used clear butterfat or soy...will try it sometime tho ..thanks

The next two extracts. The last one is O.K. You will never get it completely clear. It will stay slightly green. I watered the leaves from Monday evening until Wednesday noon replacing the water five times.

Give the watered leaves into a big pot.

And cook them 6 - 8 hours with 250 g ghee at low heat:

After cooking, filter the leaves with a cheesecloth. I use a bucket and place it in the sink with cold water from the tap to cool it down.

I fold the cheesecloth with the hot and oily leaves and press the ghee out of the leaves with a potatoemasher and a strainer.

And flush it again and again with a bit boiling hot water.

And press again out the ghee, until only less ghee comes out of the cheesecloth. There will always stay a rest of ghee in the leaves. But you will get a big part of the rest when you cook it a second time..

great share, im brand new and i plan on making my first batch of cannabutter, as soon as my product is dry enough.

should the herb used be cured? or is it just as good using the herb, as soon as it is dry enough? thank you

The first crop. The fat swims on the surface of the water. Looks dark on the pic, but it isn't. The color of the ghee is green, like you see it on the pics when I press out the leaves.

I will let it cool down over night and tomorrow more pics will follow, when I will have a 'cup of warm milk with butter and honey' ^^

My crop next day. The ghee cooled down over night and hardened.

Cut the edge of the cannabutter.

Dry the ghee on kitchenpaper

Filter the rests of the ghee in the bucket with a screen. You can see the waste water after boiling in the bucket. By cooking, again lots of unwanted water dissolvable ingredients of the leaves were dissolved in the waste water and made the butter more clear.

I press the ghee back into the original box and storage it in the fridge. If you like it more 'tidy' ;-) melt the butter simply by placing it in hot water and cool it down again.

Making Bhang:
I give cannabutter, honey and liquid soya lecithin into a big cup.

Fill up with milk.

I heat the cup in my microwave until it is hot, not boiling. The cannabutter melts and it looks like this.

I mix it directly in the cup with a hand blender like this.

Stir it for a couple of seconds.

Done!

Enjoy!

But I will repeat my warning to be very careful, if you don't know the butter and your personal dosage. Start with very low amounts of maybe 2 gram and check what happens. Take more next day if you was bored and try to find the right dosage for you. Don't underestimate the effect of the cannabutter! Too much is no fun stuff. It should be clear that a scale with at least 1g units is a MUST. Otherwise it is russian roulette.

I don't know anybody in real life, who is doing what I'm doing here. I have nobody to compare with concerning the amounts I consume. But I know I developed high THC tolerance, although I don't use cannabutter daily for good reasons. And I can tell you I will try my 'first crop' cannabutter this time starting with 15 g. DO NOT DO THIS FIRST TIME!!!!! (remember: I used 137 g leaves for 250 g ghee)

Meanwhile I developed respect for the cannabutter. Start with much lower amounts to find the individual dosage for you. Only the right dosage, not too less, not too much, is the real fun stuff. Use a scale. Be patient.

Today I cooked the leaves a second time and I will cook them a third time. I used the half amount of ghee, 125 g. And less third time.The procedure will repeat and I will keep on cooking my leaves.

How much cannabutter I use depends on the crop. In my cup on the pic I mixed weak cannabutter (third crop) I still had in the fridge with some of the first crop of this turn. I find this a good way to use very much of the THC which is in your fanleaves and your trim.

I will end here. I think this is the most important stuff I know concerning cannabutter.

Hope this helps some people out there. Ask if you have questions.

By the way, what a joy to have cannabutter again. Am I stoned...

How much should I eat? - Let us reckon a bit

How much should I eat? - Let us reckon a bit

I just found my old post and I'm happy so many people read it. Hope some people had fun.

I read my post again and at the end I thought, maybe some people will find my warning ridiculous. So lets reckon a bit. ;-)

In my example above I used 137 g leaves. So if the leaves contain only 1% THC, there will be found 137 g / 100 = 1.37 g pure THC inside.

But how much THC is in the leaves? We don't know. But I estimate there is much more than 1% of THC in the fanleaves and especially in the trim. What if the fanleaves contain 3% THC and the trim 6% THC and the mix I cooked had 4% THC?
Than we would have 1.37 g THC * 4 = 5.48 g pur THC in the leaves. This would be 5480 mg pure THC!

For cooking I used 250 g ghee for all the leaves, what would mean 5480 mg THC. And I used 15 g cannabutter for my Bhang:
250 / 15 = 16.66

The amounts of THC in my Bhang with 15 g of my cannabutter depending on different THC levels.
1% THC in the leaves: 1370 mg THC / 16.66 = 82,23 mg THC in 15 g cannabutter
2% THC in the leaves: 2740 mg THC / 16.66 = 164.46 mg THC in 15 g cannabutter
3% THC in the leaves: 4110 mg THC / 16.66 = 246.67 mg THC in 15 g cannabutter
4% THC in the leaves: 5480 mg THC / 16.66 = 328,93 mg THC in 15 g cannabutter
5% THC in the leaves: 6850 mg THC / 16.66 = 411.16 mg THC in 15 g cannabutter
6% THC in the leaves: 8220 mg THC / 16.66 = 493,39 mg THC in 15 g cannabutter

For sure not all of the THC which is in the plant will be in the butter and also not in my blood. Most likely not. But I think my receipe has a high effectiveness in the sense, that one will get as much THC out of the leaves, which is possible with such simple tools avoiding resolvents. But if only 70% of the THC is in my Bhang, this is still enough. ;-)

Have a look here:
http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/02/...bles-why-ingesting-cannabis-just-makes-sense/

'Nonetheless, 30-100mg of active cannabinoids is considered a daily dose by most patients (depending on your experience). 10-30mg is a good place to start if you are brand new to ingesting cannabis.'

Or concerning Dronabinol here:
http://www.cannabis-med.org/english/faq/14-oral-dose.htm

'Prolonged THC ingestion causes tolerance to unwanted effects on circulation and to psychological effects, so that daily doses of more than 50 mg THC may sometimes be taken without significant unwanted psychic or physical side effects. Heavy regular users in western societies may smoke five to ten cannabis cigarettes per day or more, thus well tolerating daily doses of 100 mg THC and more. In a sample of cannabis users analyzed by Solowij (1991) mean weekly consumption was 766 mg THC, ranging from 30-2400 mg THC.'

So heavy users consumpted up to 2400 mg weekly. What means 343 mg daily. I confess I fear I'm one of those heavy users. ;-)

If you see this, maybe you will understand my warning better, for nobody really knows what he is cooking and how much THC is inside. If you have strong stuff with 5% or 6% THC, 15 g cannbutter can be VERY much. 400 mg pure THC will knock you definetely out if you are not used to it, thats for sure! Especially if prepared with soya lecithin like in my Bhang. A first-timer will never forget such a Bhang. ;-)

So I repeat my warning: Use a scale and start with very low amounts and check what happens.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Great Post CoconutCury !

Great Post CoconutCury !

I like your thinking ..

So I want to determine the approximate strength of my Budder.

1 oz of 16.7% (tested) for 1 pound of butter.

What percentage of THC absorption would you expect?

Peace :biggrin:

First of all I would recommend to use ghee instead of butter. At least if you want to cook it with water like I described above, you should not use fat which contains emulsifiers and normal butter contains emulsifiers.

1 OZ = 28.35 gram

28.35 g = 28350 mg

You have one ounce of weed. One ounce means 28350 mg weed. And this weed contains 16,7 % THC

28350 mg weed / 100 * 16.7 % THC = 4734.45 mg THC

1 pound of ghee? Guess you are talking about this kind of pound:

1 lb = 453.59237 gram

So there are 4734 mg THC and 453 g ghee, what means there could be maximum 4734 mg / 453 g= 10.44 mg in each gram ghee. What means the ghee could contain max 1% THC.

If you are no daily smoker, start with 3 gram (max 30 mg THC) of the first crop and check what happens. If you smoke daily start with 10 g (max 100 mg THC). I would start with 30 g (max 300 mg THC), but this is not recommended. ;-)

It is always better to catch a too low dosage first time. If so, some single tokes will change a too weak stone very fast into somewhat different. Smoking if eaten to less will surprise many beginners, because much less smoking is affordable than usually. This is a good way to 'adjust' the level of stone/highness you want and prefer. When you know your cannabutter better, you can estimate the effect better. But eating cannabis stays a bit unpredictable. I like to keep my dosage low and smoke or vaporize additionally.

Twitch6123

what an easy way to make cannabutter! Now testing it out waiting for my 7g bang kick in to test out its potency. Edibles have never done anything for me besides that one time in college when my roommate made some brownies which made me trip. Lol

Anyways, waiting for it to kick in and will report back.

Btw I used 120g of leaves and sugar trim that I made dry ice hash from with 212g of ghee.

Latest posts

Latest posts