What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(TDS) range of 800 to 3000 PPM

dpeter2101

I've got a question about something I read on this site. It says that "The best range for nutrients to be absorbed is between a pH of 5 and 7 and a (TDS) range of 800 to 3000 PPM."

So, okay, the ph range I understand. However, using the tap water right from the faucets my PPM's start out at 175 ppm. I'm using Sensi Bloom Part A and B recommended amounts per liter. (4mL per Liter) I convert to gallons and am using 1 Tbsp. for every five gallons of water.

When I check my TDS on a fresh reservoir it's only at 347. Which is only 172 TDS above my base water PPM's. How can I ever expect to get my TDS up near 800 to 3000 with out cooking my plants?

This is the page I was reading:
Marijuana Garden Saver: AKA The Complete guide to Sick Plants, pH, and Pest troubles! https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

Am I doing something wrong or misreading the statement. I do have a cheep TDS meter. It's a TDS EZ my HM Digital.

Thanks for any advice.

MIway

Veteran
i just see the basic math problem... 1tbl per gal, not per 5gal. that'l jump the ppms for ya

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
basic math for sure

4ml per litre (so u say)
roughtly 4 litres per one gal x 4mL per litre:
that's 16 ml per ONE gal
one tablespoon is 15ml

and that's what you are feeding per FIVE gals....

so try a Tbsp per Gal or 16 mL if you wanna get all accurate, that should jump them ppms lke MIway said it.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
^what they said.

But while we are here. Please do make yourself aware of the different conversion factors. Without knowing what conversion factor someone is speaking in (or what their meter reads) it really is pointless info and can be rather confusing.

300ppm to you may not be 300ppm to me.

Or we can just avoid all the confusion and use EC.

I do believe your meter is a .5 conversion. I could be wrong, but I think HM is a .5. It might be worth noting this when talking about nutrient strength to others. Something like this:

"I am feeding X nutrient brand at 900ppm @ a .5 conversion."

This is important because if I told you to go feed at 1400 ppm and didnt specify that I was using a .7 meter (and you went home and fed 1400 @ .5) you'd be giving your plants 2.8EC and likely burn the crap out of them.

picture.php

dpeter2101

Wow, how could I've screwed that one up. Now that you point it out, I can't see how I missed that. I've been starving them. Thanks for the knock on that head.

As for the PPM, TDS and the possible .5 conversion go, I need to keep reading to understand this. If I have problems with my basic math (as you know) the chart and info Flower Farmer gave me is a brain teaser.

Thanks for the responses. I'm adjusting my Nutrition's today and beginning my study of the TDS meter and how to properly use it..

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Doesnt really matter which you follow, but just to stick to the same one and be aware of the differences when someone is referring to PPM without specifying any conversion factor.

All meters read EC (electrical conductivity), but many of them display PPM by making the conversion for you.

You can find the PPM from EC by multiplying by 500 or 700.
2.0EC x 500 = 1000ppm @ .5
2.0EC x 700 = 1400ppm @ .7

Hope that helps.

The problem isnt with ppm, but rather a wide amount of growers, or more importantly to nutrient companies that aren't even aware of this themselves (or just don't care), but will proceed offer recommended or suggested PPMs on their feeding schedules.

Why a nutrient company would bother telling you to feed at X ppm of their product without specifying the factor they are working with is beyond me.

Fortunately I have noticed this gradually changing over the last few years and more companies are also mentioning EC or the conversion factor.

dpeter2101

I went to HM Digital's Web site and verified that you are correct with the .5 conversion. I also started to slowly up my nutrient and am at 600 TDS or 1.2 EC (I think that's right). Anyways, we'll see what happens.