What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

- Users Thread - Hydrosol/Jacks Pro Hydro (and other copies) & Calcium Nitrate

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
you can foliar your regular feed right out the tank at 1/4 strength, itll add cal/nit along with everything else. but you could also combine cal/nit and mag at low concentrations to foliar and itll work great, i had someones yellow plants to take cutting from and i had to try to clone the sad yellow snips. i just dunked the leaves in the rez that feeds the flowering room every couple days to foliar feed them. they greened up within a couple days.,

I have used Jacks 5 12 26 with calcium nitrate for about 1 year I was not real happy so I tried Plantprod 7 11 27 which I am satisfied with the Plantprod disolves much easier much faster than Jacks. The Plantprod mix as far as I can tell is exactly the same as Jacks same proportions of calcint/Plantprod. I noticed after I started to use Jacks 10 30 20 that the plant leaves gain quite a bit of definition when using 10 30 20 as opposed to straight Plantprod 7 11 27 or Jacks 5 12 26 . The leaves when using straight Jacks or Plantprod look flat and thin like they have been printed on a sheet of paper in a printer then cut out and hung on the plant. When adding 10 30 20 to the program the leaf veins look more pronounced and also show some ripple between veins. I now feed according to what the plants look like they want rather than sticking religiously to a preplanned feeding schedule. Krystal at Peters recommends alternating between 5 12 26 and 10 30 20 it seems to be the way to go to get healthier looking plants probably better yields. In my experience if you want to alternate between Plantprod/Jacks and Jacks 10 30 20 you get better results if you feed according to what the plants look like they want which includes some times feeding just plain water. It takes a while but eventually most people will be able to walk into a veg or flower room and notice right away what state the plants are in over fed under fed lacking mg or need more N ect. Also I think the recommendations by Peters of using 10 30 20 at 300 ppm nitrogen is so far off the charts it's nuts I tried that strength it's way to much build nute strength slowly and watch the reaction of the plants, at Peters recomended strength you will notice the leaves go real dark green super fast to dark green. Happy Grows !

DeceiverZ

Veteran
you can foliar your regular feed right out the tank at 1/4 strength, itll add cal/nit along with everything else. but you could also combine cal/nit and mag at low concentrations to foliar and itll work great, i had someones yellow plants to take cutting from and i had to try to clone the sad yellow snips. i just dunked the leaves in the rez that feeds the flowering room every couple days to foliar feed them. they greened up within a couple days.,

Thanks for the info! What E.C (or ppm) strength are you feeding at full strength?

Last run I switched from Dyna-Grow Foliage Pro (9-3-6) at 5 weeks to Jack's @ 700ppm (.5 scale) and burned everything to shit.

The Foliage Pro was running at 950ppm but things were still yellowing at 5 weeks so being a noob I switched out to Jacks+Cal Nit thinking it would get better. I think the salts left over from the FP combined with Jacks Hydro was what did it.

This time around I've kept the EC at 1.2 (600ppm) throughout flower and it feels like this might not be close to enough. The plants look starved and seeing Cal/Mag deficiencies as well. I've heard that growing in pure coco could be the culprit for the Cal/Mag issues but instead of using Epson Salts, I went with Botanicare CalMag at 100ppm to my RO water.

DeceiverZ

Veteran
I have used Jacks 5 12 26 with calcium nitrate for about 1 year I was not real happy so I tried Plantprod 7 11 27 which I am satisfied with the Plantprod disolves much easier much faster than Jacks. The Plantprod mix as far as I can tell is exactly the same as Jacks same proportions of calcint/Plantprod. I noticed after I started to use Jacks 10 30 20 that the plant leaves gain quite a bit of definition when using 10 30 20 as opposed to straight Plantprod 7 11 27 or Jacks 5 12 26 . The leaves when using straight Jacks or Plantprod look flat and thin like they have been printed on a sheet of paper in a printer then cut out and hung on the plant. When adding 10 30 20 to the program the leaf veins look more pronounced and also show some ripple between veins. I now feed according to what the plants look like they want rather than sticking religiously to a preplanned feeding schedule. Krystal at Peters recommends alternating between 5 12 26 and 10 30 20 it seems to be the way to go to get healthier looking plants probably better yields. In my experience if you want to alternate between Plantprod/Jacks and Jacks 10 30 20 you get better results if you feed according to what the plants look like they want which includes some times feeding just plain water. It takes a while but eventually most people will be able to walk into a veg or flower room and notice right away what state the plants are in over fed under fed lacking mg or need more N ect. Also I think the recommendations by Peters of using 10 30 20 at 300 ppm nitrogen is so far off the charts it's nuts I tried that strength it's way to much build nute strength slowly and watch the reaction of the plants, at Peters recomended strength you will notice the leaves go real dark green super fast to dark green. Happy Grows !

Were you doing the 1 part Jacks and 2/3 parts Cal Nitrate? That's what I've been doing but still behind the learning curve on these nutes.

I'm looking for the 3-1-4 ratio since I don't have much runoff (if at all) from my 2 gal smart pots.

DZ I mix by ppm now which is easy and more accurate. In the case of 5 12 26 I fed plants between 600 and 700ppm's, thats jacks x .67 calcium nitrate = the correct amount of calcium nitrate to mix into the Jacks. 10 30 20 I feed high 600 - 800 ppm mostly around 700 ppm.

DeceiverZ

Veteran
So you're feeding between 600-700 ppm on Jacks/Cal Nit (1/.67) ratio then supplementing them with the 10-30-20 at 600-800 ppm when they are in Veg or Flower?

Are you alternating between the two and incorporating a water day in there somewhere?

I've seen people do feed - feed - water or feed - water -feed.

In Veg Jacks and Cal Nit works great! Healthy green without any deficiencies @ 400 ppm then up it to 600 ppm when going into flower. I think there's a lack of Nitrogen due to the low ppms at 600.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Thanks for the info! What E.C (or ppm) strength are you feeding at full strength?

Last run I switched from Dyna-Grow Foliage Pro (9-3-6) at 5 weeks to Jack's @ 700ppm (.5 scale) and burned everything to shit.

The Foliage Pro was running at 950ppm but things were still yellowing at 5 weeks so being a noob I switched out to Jacks+Cal Nit thinking it would get better. I think the salts left over from the FP combined with Jacks Hydro was what did it.

This time around I've kept the EC at 1.2 (600ppm) throughout flower and it feels like this might not be close to enough. The plants look starved and seeing Cal/Mag deficiencies as well. I've heard that growing in pure coco could be the culprit for the Cal/Mag issues but instead of using Epson Salts, I went with Botanicare CalMag at 100ppm to my RO water.
do you check your run off? maybe your plants want more. are you absolutely certain your ppm meter is scaled to 500? if its not maybe you are calculating wrong. unless its a convertible meter. if so id abandon ppm and speak in terms of e.c on the threads unless your breaking down a multipart feed recipe.
i run 1.2 ec but then i have also seen plants that want a little more. and ive also seen plants want less. it also depends on ratio. so i mix the 3-2-1 (actually 3-1.8-1) and water it down to 1.2 strength. which comes out to about .75strength. i usually mix it a hair light and add dynagrow foliage pro to top off e.c. just because its easy to narrow in on ec with a good well balanced one part feed. 100 ecs of well balanced feed isnt gonna change the profile that much. its just a precision tool for ease of quick ec adjustments..
i figure its similar enough to be fine.

dont have any clue why you burned your plants other than what you mentioned. sounds like you were running a high ec and it was just the timing of the switch that made it look as though it was the jacks. im gussing you were heading into to trouble with or with out the jacks. buildup of high feed.

I alternate between Plantprod/Jacks and Jacks 10 30 20 depending on what the plants look like they need if they look like they need just plain water then they get just plain water. I might go 2 days Plantprod 2 days Jacks 10 30 20 then 1 or 2 days water it just depends what stage the plants are at. The Jacks 10 30 20 does make an obvious difference I wouldn't want to grow without it after bringing it into the program and trying it out but it works better if you use it for short intervals like 2 days in a row then 2 days 5 12 26 or 7 11 27 then 1 or 2 days water. If you use the 10 30 20 at say 650 - 700ppm for 4 consecutive days it will begin to slow things down a bit.

DeceiverZ

Veteran
do you check your run off? maybe your plants want more. are you absolutely certain your ppm meter is scaled to 500? if its not maybe you are calculating wrong. unless its a convertible meter. if so id abandon ppm and speak in terms of e.c on the threads unless your breaking down a multipart feed recipe.

i run 1.2 ec but then i have also seen plants that want a little more. and ive also seen plants want less. it also depends on ratio. so i mix the 3-2-1 (actually 3-1.8-1) and water it down to 1.2 strength. which comes out to about .75strength. i usually mix it a hair light and add dynagrow foliage pro to top off e.c. just because its easy to narrow in on ec with a good well balanced one part feed. 100 ecs of well balanced feed isnt gonna change the profile that much. its just a precision tool for ease of quick ec adjustments..
i figure its similar enough to be fine.

I am using Hanna Instruments HI 98129 which displays PPM in the .5 conversion scale.

Made it easier for myself by dissolving 3lbs of Jacks and 2lbs of Cal Nit into their respective 1Gal RO jugs to produce stock solutions. Then I feed 1/.67 Jacks/CalNit to the desired EC.

I've heard of people running 1.2 EC throughout all stages which is what I was hoping to do since I don't typically measure run-off.

At 600ppm (.5) or 1.2 EC I've found that my Paradise Seeds White Berry are still lacking in Nitrogen even after week 4! This is an Indica dominant hybrid which apparently loves its Nitrogen.

Do you know what EC or ppm you are supplementing the Epson salts (magnesium sulfate) at?

I've seen the 3/2/1 (Jacks/CalNit/Epson) discussed before but never quite got how much ppm the Epson added to the final solution

dont have any clue why you burned your plants other than what you mentioned. sounds like you were running a high ec and it was just the timing of the switch that made it look as though it was the jacks. im gussing you were heading into to trouble with or with out the jacks. buildup of high feed.

The plants are in #2 smart pots laid on top of white tarp so they are sitting in their own run-off -which might explain the salt buildup near the bottom of the pots. At the moment, there's no way for me to keep these lifted off the tarp and collect the waste run-off.

This was my reason for looking to a balanced profile near the 3-1-4 ratio.

I alternate between Plantprod/Jacks and Jacks 10 30 20 depending on what the plants look like they need if they look like they need just plain water then they get just plain water. I might go 2 days Plantprod 2 days Jacks 10 30 20 then 1 or 2 days water it just depends what stage the plants are at. The Jacks 10 30 20 does make an obvious difference I wouldn't want to grow without it after bringing it into the program and trying it out but it works better if you use it for short intervals like 2 days in a row then 2 days 5 12 26 or 7 11 27 then 1 or 2 days water. If you use the 10 30 20 at say 650 - 700ppm for 4 consecutive days it will begin to slow things down a bit.

I'm very interested in your regiment. The 10-30-20 is perhaps providing more Phosphorus (P) during your flower period which is enhancing growth?

Are you combining Jacks with CalNit when you aren't running the 10-30-20?

Do you keep up this program throughout your flower cycle? Sorry for so many questions -I am truly intrigued how you are incorporating these products.

I was thinking of incorporating the "MOST" product which would make up for any micro nutrients I could be missing. I'm not sure if anyone has experience with this. -If so any advice is appreciated!

DZee I honestly don't know why the 10 30 20 makes a noticeable difference in fact the nute eagles may not be able to quite figure it. Peters themselves recommended alternating but I found 4 straight days of 10 30 20 was to much so I cut it to 2 days 10 30 20 2 days 7 11 27 and usually 1 day water. I mix by ppm only using the 1 to .67 ratio, first the Plantprod/Jacks and all supplements then last calcium nitrate. I feed the plants some times more or less of one nute or the other depending on what the plants look like they want. In flower I note how fast the plants are drying out the soil and the colour of the leaves especially the new growth at the top. I do back off the N in flower by feeding say 1/4 strength nute, keep an eye on the hairs if they are turning red to early they are getting to much food most likely to much n. I use MOST once in a while just a tiny amount but if you have decent say 75+ ppm water you probably don't need MOST it can do as much harm as good.

DeceiverZ

Veteran
DZee I honestly don't know why the 10 30 20 makes a noticeable difference in fact the nute eagles may not be able to quite figure it. Peters themselves recommended alternating but I found 4 straight days of 10 30 20 was to much so I cut it to 2 days 10 30 20 2 days 7 11 27 and usually 1 day water. I mix by ppm only using the 1 to .67 ratio, first the Plantprod/Jacks and all supplements then last calcium nitrate. I feed the plants some times more or less of one nute or the other depending on what the plants look like they want. In flower I note how fast the plants are drying out the soil and the colour of the leaves especially the new growth at the top. I do back off the N in flower by feeding say 1/4 strength nute, keep an eye on the hairs if they are turning red to early they are getting to much food most likely to much n. I use MOST once in a while just a tiny amount but if you have decent say 75+ ppm water you probably don't need MOST it can do as much harm as good.

Hey Cannabacca! Thanks for the info my man.
I just ordered some of Jacks Classic Blossom Booster 10-30-20 and will be incorporating it into my flower cycle. I'm going to start slow and see how the plants respond.

I'm also going to be doing a control group that won't receive the 10-30-20 to compare results. I'm thinking at starting this regiment after 2nd week of flower (after stretch) since I believe our beloved plants need lots of N during this time.

I'm going to do 2 days 10-30-20.. Water.. then 2 days of Jacks Hydro/CalNit then Water. When I say water, I usually water with bennies. Caps Bennies are the best! I'm going to keep a close eye on foliage, especially the lower leaves.

Thanks for all your input bro. Best luck and wishes to ya

DZee you will definitely notice a difference the low end for me of the 10 30 20 is about 600ppm I would start about there. I agree with your program sounds spot on to me !

h1ghscore1

what is the correct amount of grams per gallon to get a stock a & b solution using jacks 5-12-26 and calnit... anyone use this with peat and tap water? my starting ppms out of my tap is pretty high @ 330 ppms. want to make the switch from dyna grow to this formula having a hard time figuring out a stock solution to mix in mls/per gallon ratios. im hand fed drain to waste in a peat/perlite/ewc mix. thanks for the help

guido420

You may want to pause on the sentiment of "Giving money to Monsanto".

JR Peters makes the fertilizer for the Scott's "Peter's Professional" as well as Everris/ICL.

The Peter's line has slight differences from the Jacks....

Here is an example: Jack's 5-12-26 Peter's 5-11-26 basically the same. Sulfur and other minors different.

Jacks Citrus FeED 20-10-20 Peters PEAT Lite 20-10-20
Jacks High Performance 25-5-15 Peters High Efficiency 25-5-15

So I will be trying most of my Dry Powder grows with Peters not Jacks...or am I?

Hope this helps.

Guido