What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question for those of you that have mastered germinating in a humidity tray/dome

Ono Nadagin

Anyone have any tricks to keep young seedlings stems from dehydrating when you take them out of a humidity dome/tray?

I am about 2 yrs into hydro growing, many years of outdoor backing that....

About a year ago I started using a humidity tray/dome and Rapid Rooters to germ seeds where as before it was strickly dirt and a plastic cup... I use the dome/tray to keep the Rapid Rooters from drying out...wich when it happens is instant death for the seedling if it has germed.

The problem I am having is once a seed germs and breaks the surface of the rapid rooter I am usually at work of somewhere other than my garden

this means they have anywhere from 6-8hrs to 24 hrs before I can check back in on them to see if any have germed and surfaced.

It allows the plant to use its endosperm to push roots down and allow the main stem to grow a bit.....

It isnt until the 1st true set of leaves that a plant will grow stretch towards the light however they will point themselves at it... so it is not a 'lights not close enough' situation.

They just have a built in amount of growwth upward and roots downward due to the fuel provided by the endoserm

And this upward growth in the humidity dome/tray is where my problems lie, when I return to the grow I find some have germed and remove them from the dome/tray and pace them in the grow medea that suits my plans for said seedling(netpots and expanded clay or a cloning machine or possibly dirt

And upon removing them from the humidity some will have their stem dehydrate almost instantly....

The best method of stopping this dehydration seems to be to transplant deeply into dirt(up to Cot leaves) but even this seemes not to stop the dehydration of the seedling stem on all

Anyone have a trick or technique that may solve this little annoyance I am encountering?

Last edited:

So Quick

Hmmm...that's weird Ono :confused: I always (except for a few occasions) germ in rw cubes...well actually I germ in a wet paper towel and throw em in wet rw cubes when they crack...the stems shouldn't ever dry out...that would mean that your rapid rooters aren't holding any moisture...you do soak em?? A quick question...do you put em under flo's or the big light?? I always leave my seedlings in the cube till the roots pop out of the bottom...that would be anywhere from 3-4 days...and if the cube dries out before the root busts thru, then I would hit the cube wit some ph'd water to keep the roots nice a moist...

SQ

krusty

couple things come to mind from your guys posts.....

WTF ARE YOU ON???

lmao

you make this sound like some sorta rocket science to germ seeds...

myself i keep it simple...

use jiffy's with a heated tray.....how can you go wrong??

if you fully are against ussing even the small amount of organic material in the jiffy's then use a 50/50 ver/perl in small the chamber type tray.....

and wtf?? paper towels and rock cubes??? i cant beleive anyone would suggest this much handling so quickly....

also cant beleive anyone still usses rw cubes...especially a mod who is supposed to give sound advice....

*shakes head*

the whole idea is to keep the stems dry...rw cubes cannot do this....they will wick up any moisture and you end up with stem rot in most cases...yes there is tricks to counter this a bit....but why go thru the bother??

actually had one moron suggest ussing h2o2 with there rw cubes to prevent the stem rot.....like why fix something with more chemicals...

peace

krusty

Ono Nadagin

Krusty....

I AM ON WEED...
thougth that was self explanitory ;)

I have had the same probs with Jiffy Pellets and RW when using a humidity dome to keeopp the medias moist

Yes I soak RW prior to inserting seeds and Jiffys as well, but I will soak jiffys a bit after insertion of the seed to insure that the pellet closes around the seed

My point is that the stems of new seedlings if given less than a day to grow after breaking the surface of the respective media while in a humidity tray/dome dont seem to grow with the stiff stemms that I get from ones that are germed in soil...

They are under floros at a very close distance.... less than 2-3 inches tops

I would take them out of the humid tray/dome but RW and jiffies and Rapid rooters will dry out rapidly in my very warm even in winter climate... hell to me 80-85 is a nice day in the winter

Last edited:

So Quick

@ krusty...check this out bro...I won't even get caught up in your style of communication..or we'll both be back and forth wit a bunch of bullshit!! Not my style!! When I reply to a thread...I'm givin advice on how I grow!! Why knock the next mans growing style?? Not everybody believes in what you believe...nor does everybody use what you use...do I have to get a thomas air compressor to get the okay from you...or would I need to sink my res under ground to be approved as a ligitimate grower!! I don't think so!! I've done many styles of growing and I'm still fuckin around and havin fun...rarely do I stick to one style of growing!! As a matter of fact I'm doing a tree grow right now...and guess what...it's not the way you do it...it's Quicks way!! Not saying that yours is wrong in my opinion, but I choose to grow in my comfort zone...so if that means pullin tid bits of info from all the KFB threads and adding my twist to it...ain't a dam thing wrong wit it!! I could get into a few other things that I disagree wit what you do, but I won't even get into that...whatr you do is what you do!! Check my credentials Bro...I'm more than qualified to hand out advice!!

SQ

krusty

ono - you answered yer own questions.....and it still doenst change my adivce to you...keep it simple:)

so quick - you seem like a nice fellow....as a meber yer okies....as a mod giving advice ....you are lacking:)

i already checked out yer threads/posts/pix....you want to feel the excitment of seeing *A* lb of final product on one plant....well yer rubbing shoulders with a guy who indoors/9 foot ceiling got 5+ lbs off one plant...

you say you dont want to get into it with me...but you have:)

teehee

dont make sum bullshit about you want to do things *your way* and "ain't a dam thing wrong wit it!!"

there is a shit load of things wrong with NOT doing it my way...hence why its called the WRONG WAY:)

" I could get into a few other things that I disagree wit what you do, but I won't even get into that."

bring it kid:)

i have forgotten more on growwing then you know.....i grew in as much as 5 different places at one time for over a decade....i wasnt just a commercial grower...the courts called me a drug lord:)...that too me was a wee bit drama simply to try and get judge to nail me...but the bottom line is that nobody has yet posted pix or shown me in any reguards they got the hands on experience i do:)

i can spend an hour picking apart your system....i already gave you a few pointers in yer welcoming thread....

so please!!!! start up a thread there So Quick and call it "Here are the things i think krusty does wrong"

then you can explain why i got the indoor record of 3.35 lbs per 1000 watts....

why i have been succesful for over a decade...

why you have changed yer styles to basically mine...with a few errors:)...which soon you will see why..and i bet you either admit to these errors or you stop posting update pix in OG:) mark them words:)

and lastly...why none of yer pix or anyone elses look like this:)

(my biggest buds i have on file)
220FEB2001d.jpg

(decade ago before you knew what ph was:) )
220krusty3.jpg

(this is the place that got 5+lbs off one plant)
220islandveg_copy.jpg

(and last but not least...what i did about a month ago:) )
220BCBB.jpg

sorry to bust yer balls kid....but i think it is better for me to say what i truely feel instead of playing nice.....i think if your going to give adive and you know i am lurking in the mists you might stick to shit you know about...cause soon yer going to realize with yer trees i am right...and you fucked up a bit:)

peace

krusty

So Quick

Nah...won't go there wit ya bro!! But what I will do is, show you a bit of my work!! Not bad for a mickey mouse set up, eh ;) And yes these were produced in rockwool!!

949for_krusty-med.JPG

949for_krusty_2-med.JPG

949for_krusty_4-med.JPG

Just thought of somethin...while were at bro...pull your pants down real quick Krusty and lets see who's dick is bigger *LOL*

And here's some nice reading for ya...if your up to it!! https://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?t=353736&onlyuser=&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 from my calculations...I think I'm just about 3.?? L's per 1000 in this set up...alot more dangerous, but I did get a tad over 10L's off of 3000w...and mind you, I had severe heat issues...room never left 90F!!

Oh and the comment about me switchin up...wrong there bro!! I tried this style out because I've never done it before!! Bust this kids balls?? NEVER!! I'm fully confident, just as you are, with every style I grow!! If I get a L per...so be it!! And if I fucked up...I'm man enough to say...hey Krusty...you was fuckin right!! Dam thing didn't go as I thought!! So me stop posting updates, won't happen!! I'm not ashamed to show I fucked up...once you read that thread...you'll see :)

Oh and just thought I mention...I cheated on the medium...it's not all hydroton!! I filled 3/4 of the bucket wit diced wool and the top layer hydroton :p Hee hee!! Catch ya later Bro...I'll post a pic or 2 of my tree progress fer ya :)

SQ

Ono Nadagin

I got $100 On SQ.....for a knock out in the 6th!

And while I'm at it....I want everybody to know that SQ is the greatest in the whole wide world!! I really love this guy!! I mean he's like a Dad to me...I've never really knew my dad, so having him in my life has been wonderful...and I don't know what I would do with out em!! I love you SQ!!

And he gave someone a clone(or possibly a seed) of my favorite pot plant of all time.... AK99(akx47xC99) wich they were kind enough to make my 1st ever gift of a clone and Man that plant was the fucking end all of pot imho.... pretty sure thats it in thde pic SQ posted with the guy wearing latex gloves.

I was pulling a little over 10 Ozs off of 8 AK99 plants in a E&F sog under a 430HPS, before I lost the orig clone mother to an attack of spider mites that is impossible to describe.... made mu moms look like flippin Q-Tips after a week or so of not being checked

PS.... Man SQ you got me good with that mod of my post earlier.... I read it after the fact and you had me thinking I had slipped a gear. :p

Last edited:

krusty

hhmmm

i got 33.5 lbs with 10 lights...

3.35 lbs per 1000 watts...

you say you got 10 lbs with 3,000 watts

which is 3.33 lbs per 1000 watts....basically same as my record....i would beleive yas full out cause it looks like you got the genetics and the abilities BUT...teehee

in rw cubes??

*cough* (bullshit) *cough*

post some pictures of this then i will beleive yas:)..yer link aint working for me....

is this the thread?? http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?t=415087

been there done that

hmmm...i feel kinda dumb here with my pants down and my web camera on....

teehee

you still watching my cam ??

peace

krusty

So Quick

As requested :) http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?t=353736

I kindly ask you to take back the coughin bullshit!! Pull up a chair and watch the kid...you'll soon see that you are amogst "GREATNESS" too :)

Okay you can pull up your pants now...I see I have the bigger dick...but you got me on the hairyness LMAO!!

Ono: The ability to edit the next mans post is kewl!! :D

JLP

Veteran
Hey Ono,

You said you're using a dome.Have you tried poking a couple holes in it.I don't use a dome at all.

JLP:)

VitaDiAmore

SQ, just joined here from OG and it's good to see the other side as well (not that there's been any jibin) stick to those guns. (manner of speach, guns are for the ranges.)
ono, I had the same prob with my seeds. They also didn't grow more than 2" in 19ish days and went yellow. Turns out i have water with a way too high EC. Could it be that the plants can't get the water through the roots so have to get it through their leaves, so when you let the hum drop they wilt.
If he can get a word in edge on, SQ might be able to say whether this is complete bollox or not.
(round 2, my money is on SQ to come through quietly towards the end when Krusty tires);)

splif-magnet

hey all,,, I thought this was about dome sprouts,,,,,

Ok HERE;s MY way,,,

I use a combo-sys just now.... I will soak my seeds and wait until the "LITTLE FOOT" sticks out.. then I pull them put them into a foam EGG CARTOON,, with vremiculite in the cups..... just place the seed "foot DWN" in damp vermiculite,,,, close the lid and place in my VEG TUB......when they get the first GREEN leaves I place them in a AERO CLONER... when they get nice roots I place in the net baskets,, to VEG,,,,,

so you see i use both soil & hyro techneces....

I hope this helps

ps... HELL GUYS... IF i can grow any BUDS like yours I will be VERY PLEASED!!!!! <GRIN>

Latest posts

Latest posts