What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Local Pigeon Pals; I want their droppins

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
I know a little spot where some pigeons hang and the shit accumulates, what are the steps to prep it for plant use, and what kinda nutrition should I expect from the assgold?

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Nutrition wise you'll probably find it's probably heavier on the nitrogen, unless the birds eat a lot of fruit (doubtful)..

Prep wise you want to be really careful, you really need to get it up to a high temp to get rid of the many nasty nasty pathogens present in it, baking it for 10 minutes or an autoclave would be the best solutions. The I'd probably toss it in a worm bin to let the worms make it into something less hot and more palatable for your plants.

Be sure to wear gloves, an anti dust mask, and wash your hands very thoroughly after handling it (before sterilizing).

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
who knows what the pigeons have been eating and what nasties are in there crap. id look for something else if possible.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Sounds kinky bro. You sure you just don't have a thing for birds?
FredRogers_BigBird.jpg

CannaExists

Paint Your DreamStrain
Veteran
Good call on the possible junk consumption. I guess I assumed they ate tree berries or some'n.

snork

Local Pigeon Pals; I want their droppins
No, you don't.

And it does not matter what exactly they eat.
First, it may be contagious | contaminated (vocabulary?) with various really nasty stuff, though not so much the H5N1 killer flue.
Second, it needs to be old, I mean OLD to become Guano. You could put it into your compost and let it rot for long time in there, then you could use that compost the next year or so.

Still the best is simply to stay away from any birdpoo.
I mean it corrodes stone and maybe even concrete, that alone makes me not wanting any of that near me nor my plants, leave alone the health risks.

Nice pic of Big Bird. :yes:

snork

It is not as drastic as that.

If you collect the droppings while wearing a mask and gloves and then compost with organic material i see no real issues.

100% agreed.
It is just that I think this is more trouble than it's worth.

And to me CannaExists did not sound as if (s)he had a compost available.

BubsNugs

No House fans here???

They had a episode were some dude was using pigeon shit fer growing weed n IT FUCKIN KILLED THE GUY!!!!! So if I was you,I would rethink the idea n come up with a better ,less dangerous,plan.

Peace

snork

hehe

a) that episode : he was practically living in a giant pidgeon toilet. (maybe that was another episode, I don't remember a patient growing weed)

b) you do realise house is just fiction ?

Come on, I practically stopped watching it after it took them a whole episode to realise another patient had rabies (after almost killing her 3 times with funny therapy ideas), although that patient showed every "trademark" symptom. Every real world hospital would have been convicted for incompetence.

The same goes for other episodes. "It can't be Lyme borreliosis, he has no erythema" SLAP is what you get over here if you say such stupid thing when studying med.

swampdank

Pull my finger
Veteran
I have used it. Find the really old stuff that looks like powder. Be careful though, pigeon shit will burn your plants. I wouldnt recommend using it indoors either. Could be any number of contaminants. Pigeons are pretty nasty. I would look at athe surroundings and you can get a good idea of what they eat. In the counrty?? Probably safe. City, Na.

I have used it before, but now I just buy the real stuff.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
My dad used to race pigeons,,,I grew up around TONS of Pigeon poo!
Outdoor wild pigeons (Roof Rats) I guess could have some kinds of issues, (mites come to mind, also possibly Bac. or fungi that may be growing in it).
I would not be horribly concerned unless I was immune damaged, or allergies.
HOWEVER, probably best to leave it alone.
Crap's pretty cheap.
I'd just buy it, unless the source was known.

SD:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts