What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bug ID help needed

Swarm

Can anyone help me ID these pests.
They are very tiny this is zoomed in at 100x

Attachments

• Image130.jpg
    Image130.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Image131.jpg
    Image131.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4
  • Image132.jpg
    Image132.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Image133.jpg
    Image133.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 3

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Can anyone help me ID these pests.
They are very tiny this is zoomed in at 100x

THRIPS, they can spread viruses.

TO CONTROL USE:

Amblydromalus limonicus (predatory mite)

Gaeolaelaps aculeifer (formerly known as Hypoaspis aculeifer)
(predatory mite)

Stratiolaelaps scimitus (formerly known as Hypoaspis miles)
(predatory mite)

Macrocheles robustulus (predatory mite)

Amblyseius swirskii (predatory mite)

Neoseiulus cucumeris (Formerly known as Amblyseius cucumeris)
(predatory mite)

Orius laevigatus (predatory bug)

Orius insidiosus (predatory bug)

Steinernema feltiae (entomopathogenic nematode)

http://www.koppert.com/pests/thrips/

Lacewings and ladybugs can also help control thrips. Ladybugs seem to prefer aphids if a choice.
Verticillium lecanii can be used in veg, it requires high humidity to work well.
-SamS

Last edited:

Snype

Veteran
You can get rid of them really easy with a product that contains Spinosad. Monterey Spinosad Organic Garden Insect Spray is what I used when I've had thrips. It only takes a couple treatments about a week apart. 3 if the infestation is bad. Always turn lights off for at least 3 hours after you finish spraying or your plants can burn. Also use a spreader like Coco Wet so it mixes properly and gets on the leaves. Thrips are pretty easy to get rid of compared to some other types of mites. I never have to stress over thrips.

Swarm

could they be anything else other than thrips? I looked on google images and thrips look a little different.

Mikenite69

Veteran
I think you have 2 excellent people with tons of knowledge telling you it's thrips I would listen. Sam the skunkman has seen I am sure his fair share of many garden pest over his years in the industry I am sure he knows what he is talking about.

Snype also is a very knowledgable person as well.

U can also pick up captn jacks dead bug brew that is sold everywhere to wipe them out it also contains spinosad. What snipe suggested would most likely work faster because I think it contains a higher anout of active ingrediant spinosad.

Snype

Veteran
could they be anything else other than thrips? I looked on google images and thrips look a little different.

I'll admit that your pic looked kind of funny to to me at first. I think it looked weird because they are really so much smaller and the picture is so zoomed in on them. The color also looks much more like orange/yellow to me in person but the shape of your pics remind me more of thrips. The ones that I see are much lighter in color and I used to see them on the front and bottom of the leaves, unlike spider mites.
Look at what Thrips look like:
picture.php

And the damage the do to your leaves:
picture.php

Swarm

Yeah the color and antenna looks different to me and the butt from images on the net. I have only seen them on the floor so far, never on a plant or in a pot but they are small so who knows. I see tiny sap excretions on the stems like orange hatched eggs or sap excretions. They have been around for a few months. I do keep everything clean with bleach etc. The only thing that keeps me from thinking thrips is i cant find them on plants or the markings.

Thanks for the help fellas

Swarm

Also when i see them on the concrete they look black to the eye some move slow and some move fairly quick when they see they finger of death coming.

Snype

Veteran
Well if you don't see them on the plants, they probably aren't thrips and probably not harmful to plants. You'll know when you have thrips or something to be concerned about.

Snype

Veteran
Could be but you should find them in the soil when you water. If you dump a good amount of water in the soil or medium, you'll see lots of Springtials come to the top and start twitching.

Those bugs that you are finding on the floor might just be some type of bug that doesn't mess with your plants. That's what I suspect if you saw them on the floor like that. They may look small to you but small to me may be much smaller.