What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just like that....... Alice is gone

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alice suffered a mild stroke about 10 days ago, it slowed her down to about 25% power, she couldn't run for her frisbee but she could do her little hustle trot to go fetch it up.

The stroke affected her jaw muscles and tongue coordination so drinking and eating became a small challenge for her; I switched to a taller water bucket and hand fed her to begin each meal, after starting her meal for her she would generally gobble it up, by now I was cooking beef & chicken for her so as to amp up her appetite.

Alice never hesitated to get up and go outside, it took her a few more seconds to get moving but she was up on her own power every time, her tail was always wagging and she greeted her friends with her usual love and cuddles.

This morning @ 7:30 she came back inside and I watched her collapse into her bed unnaturally, after coaxing her to stand up and walk to me I could see she had really lost a step in her power and she was now whimpering, I could never allow her to suffer and so I readied Alice for her last ride in the car.

To say I'm devastated would be an understatement, I've now lost both of my dogs, my only companions within 30 days of each other. And although I'll mourn greatly over losing Alice I'm almost compelled to start my search for my next best friend now.

A few pics of Alice.......

5db3d3dc-e79c-4294-9ef3-b0276c5b273f_zpsywe9vpqy.jpg

afa12a3b-8300-46ff-b11a-527bf837e0c6_zpsb9q1dt1a.jpg

Alice (behind) and her mom Kayla in 2010 :)

0e156897-c2a5-4f08-9378-badb10f0d2fb_zpslrbqlbey.jpg

R.I.P. my little angel

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
sorry S4L. nothing anyone can say will fix some things

you should get in the car and hit the animal shelter brother. puppies are loaded with good mojo

Useful Idiot

Veteran
DAMMIT!! I am heartbroken for you man. You know me and how much my critters mean to me...and I know how much you loved yours. Damn saddened for your loss.

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
Damn brother I'm sorry. Losing a dog is as hard as losing a person you love keep your head up man. I'll be blazing one for you and Alice.

TheArchitect

Veteran
S4L I feel you're pain, my pup went through a similar situation, she was 12, we sent her off on my birthday which sucked at first, but now I get to celebrate her entry into heaven with my birthday, cause, you know, all dogs go to heaven :)

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran

They may not be your best friend for the rest of your life, but they will be your best friend for the rest of their lives.

So sorry for your loss, your loved one is chasing their tail with their fam in a better place with all the newspaper to shred, an rooms full of couches to lay on an chew on at their desire.

Stay up my friend, there's a kind soul right around the corner. Just gotta rescue him/her:biggrin:

Madjag

Veteran
Stoner dude......there is nothing like losing a dog friend, nothing. Losing people is totally different and painful, however losing a firend that was loyal, always there, and never complained about how you treated him or her is beyond words. Peace to you.

A couple of years ago I was in the same situation. A year later my lost friend's successor came home and has proven to be equal, though different, to the task. Have faith....

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

one of my biggest fears was that Scooby would fuck up too much forcing me to put her down (which is exactly what happened) and then that Alice would take ill soon after, after all 12~14 years is a springer spaniel's life expectancy.

it's a shame that Alice experienced her entire senior years in 10 short days, just last fall when the driveway was clear of snow she was able to dash the 70-80 feet that I'd toss her frisbee and she'd catch it. She loved playing catch/fetch with that frisbee (a Flippy-Flopper) and she relished the praise I'd give her when she was done; "what a good catcher, what a good fetcher you are!" I'd tell her.

Ever since I'd injured my back playing fetch was her replacement for bird hunting with me, right up to the end if I mentioned "Birds!?" to her she'd go stiff and she'd lock eyes with me waiting to see which direction I'd point her in. Once or twice a year a good friend of mine would take her out grouse hunting to feed her jones, I really had to trust a man to allow him to hunt/shoot over my dog, Doug is that kind of guy.

Alice will probably be my last springer spaniel, they're just a bit too big for me to handle with my bad back, I'm looking for a medium to small dog; from Brittany spaniel size on down to Dachshund, hopefully under a year old and surely less than 3 years. I'm going to adopt from one humane society or another, no supporting the puppy mills; and what can I say, no pitbull or pit mixes either.......

Green Squall

I obviously don't know you, but it sounds like that dog had the best damn life a dog can have. For that I am sure she is grateful. :)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I was just gonna take a nap, as I turned to face the bed I wondered where would Alice be laying, on her end or in my way. Of course I can barely get the thought out before realizing that she's gone, when I step around the corner I go wide because she's always got a leg stuck out in the way, I stand up, I expect her to be right there.

it's kinda freaky.......

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn,damn,damn......I know the pain you're feeling:comfort:. It's like a part of your body is missing. So very sorry to hear about your loss. Absolutely NOTHING loves you like a dog. Good luck finding your new best friend.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Shame....I'm still mourning the loss of my first dog, Bridgette, a miniature poodle, and that was 1980. Tough blow. There is someone in a shelter somewhere waiting for you. Poodles are awesomely smart and funny dogs. Very athletic too. Come in all sizes and are long lived, and they don't shed, so no hair around the house. Must be clipped occasionally though, unless you go full Rasta. Take some time to mourn, and then off to the rescue.....

Latest posts

Latest posts