What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Garden of Unc-ly delights...

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
At least you're not having to crawl under screens, out side, in the hot sun, trimming off pieces of cacti, and watering every now and again.

Betterhaff

Veteran
given the variety of hedgehog cactus blooming im wondering if they will produce any funky hybrids or possibly any inter-genetic hybrids that could come about with the other species popping at the same time...
Have you ever looked for seeds? I grew some cactus seeds a long time ago, it was a store bought mix that somebody gave me. I got some to germ but that’s about it, lost patience (or interest) in them. Love your garden, desert beauty.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
another morning in the garden...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if i recall correctly this is a perry's penstemon,like most of the plants this one came to me in a one gallon container,i think it put out 2 flowering spikes last year,this year its more like 20-30....these flowers just reek of flowery perfume-y sweetness...
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

water drops on a mexican primrose...i love these plants,they just sort of ramble all over the place and its not unusual to find blossoms 5-6 feet away from the main root mass..they have a sort of scraggly looking phase but then they will suddenly explode into masses of these delicate pink flowers....some of these desert flowers are so fragile and transient that they blossom and fade in a matter of hours
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh,not much....palo verde,desert willow,paper flower,chocolate daisies,mexican primrose,mexican blue sage,apache plume,fairy duster,rock vebena,morning glory,basket flower,firecracker salvia,hot lips salvia,blue salvia,purple sage,bulbine,foxglove,fleabane,cardinal penstemon,blue mistflower,golden columbine....um,and maybe a dozen other things im not remembering plus some stuff from a butterfly flower mix pack i dont know.....
so,not much,the usual....

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've been neglecting the garden...my back and knees just cant take the strain of keeping everything weeded...but i should have some $$$ to put into it this winter...its really a xeriscape now since i cut way back on watering it...theres been lots of die off,but the survivors are thriving...so i will probably thin things out a bit more,get in and weed everything,and get a bunch of gravel delivered...so maybe in the spring...

Just have to say that is an incredible garden, amazingly well done, stunning pics as well. The only time I have seen cactus in nature was cycling from San Diego to Phoenix(On a Surly Long Haul Trucker, don't worry) and never got a sense of the beauty of their blooms. Are there certain types of rock that work better as heat sinks for your more tender varieties? Are cactus people anything like orchid people?(by which I mean eccentric and slightly touched)

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Are cactus people anything like orchid people?(by which I mean eccentric and slightly touched)

Oh Yeah!
Once you get to know Unc a little better, you will realize he is eccentric, and more than slightly touched....:biggrin:...(Um, you do mean "in the head" don't you?)

PS.. nice cacti garden Unc,,, can't believe I never saw these pics before....

Latest posts

Latest posts