What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Teflon© Bag Collection Tek, No scraping

BongDaddy

Bummer, I was worried that might be the case. I imagine Welch would probably ship to Canada if I needed it, but I don't really have a big enough batch for that kind of expense right now. Maybe I'll try the warm water method this time, that sounds interesting.

kcjnz

1 gallon pail liner from welch showed up today. Gonna do a big run (250+gms) into it and see how it does. I will report back :tiphat:

SB7

I've been using the beaker liners for a while now and I couldn't ever go back to scrapping.
Couldn't find them in Canada ( not surprising , so many things that I'd like aren't available north of the border. :( Welch have no problems shipping to Canada , and while their offerings might seem a little expensive, you get what you pay for !)
These days I'm using a SS (Food grade 304) Vacuum thermos and soaking the frozen buds/trim for 10/15min (while stirring it every min or so) I do 2 runs with each batch of trim/bud ( 1 x 300ml colibri for each run)
Then it's straight into the beaker liners , 1-2hr purge on hot/water ( not too boiling though)
After purging I let it sit overnight , then into the freezer , then into Teflon baggies for storage. I experimented with vacuum purging, but taking the material to work to use the industrial heater/vacuum system worked okay, until my boss decided to visit on a weekend ! No problems, I was potting prototype transducers at the same time so I was covered. Not going to repeat that. Having said that, I really didn't find any noticeable difference between my normal hot water purge and the heated vacuum purge. I get "glass" most times anyway, and I found that fresh/frozen material makes all the difference between taffy and glass.

I use the 20mil beaker liners as I've found the thinner ones aren't standing up to the "krinkleing " I give them when they come out the freezer .

Why a thermos vs a kief tube ? Well I had a major blow out when processing fresh/frozen material ( what a waste of some great Jackberry) Good job I had a full face mask , Jackberry everywhere .
I found it difficult to judge how hard to pack the fresh/frozen material , so I use the soak method that jump117 documented .
BHO the FOAF way .... nothing beats it. Teflon all the way

gonzo`

the gas that is given off from heating a teflon product kills birds... you guys worried about that at all?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the gas that is given off from heating a teflon product kills birds... you guys worried about that at all?

Not at the temperatures involved here.

If you heat PTFE hot enought to decompose, it does release hydrogen fluoride, so I advise strongly against smoking it. It burns somewhere above its melting point range of 327 - 342 °C.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
lol gonzo!

nice thread foaf, glad you redid this thread. i love seeing people be innovative in their concentrate making. what about those turkey baking bags? could they be used the same way, they seem able to withstand the oven, so should be able to deal with warm water no problem no?

SB7

Regarding the Teflon vs temp ... am I concerned ? Not at all, I purge around 150F, which , as GW pointed out is far below the temp at which FEP decompose.

I now have my Tamisi_m . Works well with dry/cured material, but not too well with fresh/frozen. Fresh frozen material yielded a darker , greenish, result. Yesterday, I did a run of 3 week old ( dry but not power dry) Super Skunk. I used small amount of ISO for a carrier solvent.
I filtered the ISO/BHO through a coffee filter into my teflon beaker liners, then onto the double boiler @ 155F . It produced a beautiful golden taffy, that has incredible flavour, extremely close to fresh/frozen thermos BHO.
I love the teflon beaker liners, it soooooooooooo much easier than scrapping a glass dish.
Thanks FOAF

SB7

Regarding turkey bags, it would depend entirely on the material. I've seen PET and nylon/CPP etc, I would check how butane reacts with whatever material you choose, before using them. PET ( or PETE) contains phtalates, an endocrine disruptor . However unlikely, there is the possibility of leaching phtalates into your material. I wouldn't cook with them either, Why risk it ? I mean what man wants to grow breasts ..... it might seem fun to have a set in the beginning but after awhile not so much. ( Of course that is purely tongue in cheek) :)
Personally I'd stick ( par don the pun) with PTFE ,PFA or FEP where possible. JMHO

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Regarding turkey bags, it would depend entirely on the material. I've seen PET and nylon/CPP etc, I would check how butane reacts with whatever material you choose, before using them. PET ( or PETE) contains phtalates, an endocrine disruptor . However unlikely, there is the possibility of leaching phtalates into your material. I wouldn't cook with them either, Why risk it ? I mean what man wants to grow breasts ..... it might seem fun to have a set in the beginning but after awhile not so much. ( Of course that is purely tongue in cheek) :)
Personally I'd stick ( par don the pun) with PTFE ,PFA or FEP where possible. JMHO

yeah i'd never use them for cooking a turkey, i just buy them for the volcano and figured since they are supposed to be cooked they might work. but so far i don't make enough bho to merit getting specialized equipment. just have a square pyrex dish which goes in the freezer before scraping

foaf

Veteran
Besides being nonstick, as mentioned, the Teflon® is chemically resistant to butane and alcohol, so the mystery chemicals that might leech from otherwise resistant plastics aren't a problem. And as mentioned, the poisons from burnt Teflon® aren't a known problem if you don't burn it. I cook eggs on Teflon® for my kids. If you didn't feel safe cooking on Teflon, then you should probably avoid it just on your religous principle.

mofeta

Veteran
Totally OT, but -

I love your avatar! Eno/Byrne masterpiece.

Its kinda funny, there is a mofeta/mesc/music/foaf convergence here. When Bush of Ghosts was first released, me and my friend Kevin (RIP) were HUGE Eno fans, and really big Heads fans too, so we bought it on the day it came out.

By coincidence, we had just completed our first really successful AB extraction of a bridgesii clone that we had been chomping on for a couple of years. We had gone through hell trying to duplicate the extractions we had read in Lloydia/Journal of Natural Products (it had just made the name change like the year before), sourcing materials etc. We had limited success. To make a long story short, we eventually gave up on trying to copy the journal methods exactly, and designed our technique around what was easily available, and used the knowledge that we had gained in our failures also. What we ended up with looked good, but we weren't sure if it was mesc, or other alkaloids from the cactus. Only a bioassay would reveal the truth!

The day we were going to test, like 15 minutes before we were going to drop, the record store called to tell me Bush of Ghosts was in. We rejoiced! It was a sign.

Two hours later, we were in magic land with Eno and Byrne, and the Ghosts. To this day nothing in my personal experience has surpassed this day. Hearing the music or even just seeing the cover art brings on waves of psychedelic nostalgia.

Then, one day, almost 30 years later, I see your avatar and think of that day. Then I notice your sig, and check out the link. LOL! What a trip!

Gruetoo

Great info. Amazing the way some peoples minds work (Or don't work) Had not thought of using teflon. I have used parchment paper to line the glass. Works, Not as sexy and you may have to smoke small amounts of wax as I am unsure if you can remove it all:biggrin:

Gruetoo :plant grow:

jump /injack

Veteran
I haven't seen any prices on the bags, can anyone give an idea and what would be the best ones to use for a small run, have a thermos and a SS tube?

Grey Wolf, made up some of your topical for muscle cramps and other afflictions, had a double muscle cramp last night that jerked me awake at about 3 am, usually I use Cyclobenzaprine but tried yours for the first time as it was really hurting. With in seconds the cramps abated and then completely disappeared, the Cyclobenzaprine takes about 15 to 20 minutes to work; worked on the arthritic pain also. Thank you for posting that recipe!! And...any downside to using Acetone rather than Isopropyl, big price difference where I'm located. $14 compared to $45.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't seen any prices on the bags, can anyone give an idea and what would be the best ones to use for a small run, have a thermos and a SS tube?

Grey Wolf, made up some of your topical for muscle cramps and other afflictions, had a double muscle cramp last night that jerked me awake at about 3 am, usually I use Cyclobenzaprine but tried yours for the first time as it was really hurting. With in seconds the cramps abated and then completely disappeared, the Cyclobenzaprine takes about 15 to 20 minutes to work; worked on the arthritic pain also. Thank you for posting that recipe!! And...any downside to using Acetone rather than Isopropyl, big price difference where I'm located. $14 compared to $45.

Glad it worked for you bro and that you are spreading the word!

Except for experimentation, I have steered clear of acetone for extraction, because it is a known mutagen and teratogen. Here is a cut and paste from a typical MSDS:

Chronic Toxicity
Carcinogenicity There are no known carcinogenic chemicals in this product

Sensitization No information available.

Mutagenic Effects Mutagenic effects have occurred in experimental animals.

Reproductive Effects Experiments have shown reproductive toxicity effects on laboratory animals.

Developmental Effects Developmental effects have occurred in experimental animals.

Teratogenicity Teratogenic effects have occurred in experimental animals..

Other Adverse Effects The toxicological properties have not been fully investigated.. See actual entry in RTECS for
complete information.

Endocrine Disruptor Information No information available

jump /injack

Veteran
"I like the thicker modified PTFE bags. This page has the different sizes. They once sold singles, now only in lots of 10 for this type. I'd get a 9x8 at least for blowing into. The small ones are good for storage and transferring."

Checked the site and they have 12x12 singles for $9+-, Thanks foaf.

Gray Wolf, had another episode with leg cramps, your stuff worked again, unbelievably fast acting, seconds and not minutes. The pharmaceuticals have to be suppressing this.