Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Mixing PG, VG, & BHO for vape cartridges

Thread Title Search
Mixing PG, VG, & BHO for vape cartridges Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2018, 03:39 AM #1
Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the rough
Mixing PG, VG, & BHO for vape cartridges

Is there a definitive ratio of Propelene Glycol to Vegetable Glycerin to BHO for smooth but full hits and are there any special techniques necessary to ensure a stable mixture?
Dirt Bag is offline Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 07-05-2018, 07:06 AM #2
WaterFarmFan

WaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to all
I would always get some separation when trying to use PEG/PG/VG, including Vapeur Extract (a proprietary blend of Propylene Glycol USP, Polyethylene Glycol USP, Vegetable Glycerin USP), so I just switched to terps.

I would think that a homogenizer would do the trick better, but a proper one is close to a grand. If this just for your personal consumption, a magnetic stir bar and some heat should mix it nicely, but you will need to consume rather quickly.

From VE website:

1. Mix Vapeur Extract with extract at any ratio, 2:1 is typical. Note: 1mL (32 drops) of VE is equivalent to 1g
2. Stir under 150°F until the mixture is one solution
3. While warm, inject into cartridge
WaterFarmFan is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:08 PM #3
Dirt Bag

Dirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the roughDirt Bag is a jewel in the rough
So do PG and BHO alone stay mixed, or BHO and VG?
Dirt Bag is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:33 AM #4
WaterFarmFan

WaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to allWaterFarmFan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Bag View Post
So do PG and BHO alone stay mixed, or BHO and VG?
I have only tried PEG400 and VE, and both would stay mixed for a couple of days (max 1 week) and then begin to separate. Another important thing is that these blends are very runny and tend to leak more in cartridges. At 2:1, you would have ~300mg of THC, but with 1:10 ratio of terpenes, you would have something closer to ~800mg of THC.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 AM #5
Mengsk

Mengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFarmFan View Post
so I just switched to terps.

For us plebs is this available locally?
Mengsk is offline Quote

Old 07-07-2018, 11:46 AM #6
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
EJ-mix does the trick and, no separation. It ain't cheap but it works.
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 08:38 AM #7
WaterFarmFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mengsk View Post
For us plebs is this available locally?
Unfortunately, these (terpenes that have been isolated in a lab and are suitable for human inhalation) are available locally in only a few select cities. You can order strain profiles, but they are quite expensive:

https://www.extractconsultants.com/p...erpene-blends/
https://buy-terpenes.com/product-category/ttp/profiles/

If you making larger batches or using the terpenes in higher quantities with edibles, it is far more affordable to order the individual terpenes and make your own custom blends:

https://www.extractconsultants.com/p...ated-terpenes/
https://trueterpenes.com/product-category/terpenes/

I would say there are a few major benefits of using terpenes. First is the fact that you only use a small amount (~10% or 0.1ml for every gram of extract) to dissolve the bho/shatter. If your bho is winterized and on point, this will create a very high potency vape pen. The second and probably most important is that certain combinations (strain profiles or custom mixes) of terpenes produce an indica or sativa effect from the same bho/shatter. Try it, you will be fucking amazed...

If you really want to see if terpenes are good fit, this is a pretty good way to sample some indica and sativa effects:

https://buy-terpenes.com/products/sa...s-sample-pack/

Old 07-08-2018, 08:43 AM #8
WaterFarmFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switcher56 View Post
EJ-mix does the trick and, no separation. It ain't cheap but it works.
I always assumed that EJ was pretty close to Vapeur Extract. Have you made batches and let them sit for a few weeks? VE would always mix well initially, but after a while a bit of a darker layer would begin to form at the top. I am not sure if it is oxidization or another chemical reaction involving the terpenes or other organics. I wonder if these (PEG, PG & VG) style mixes would work better with refined distillate???

Old 07-08-2018, 01:14 PM #9
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFarmFan View Post
I always assumed that EJ was pretty close to Vapeur Extract. Have you made batches and let them sit for a few weeks? VE would always mix well initially, but after a while a bit of a darker layer would begin to form at the top. I am not sure if it is oxidization or another chemical reaction involving the terpenes or other organics. I wonder if these (PEG, PG & VG) style mixes would work better with refined distillate???
Yassir I did

I've been vaping for 8 yrs so quite familiar with PEG 400, PG & VG. I never used PEG in the past but have messed with PG & VG. I prefer PG over VG but regardless I was getting separation, even with an 80/20 mix.

So I gave EJ a whirl and all is well. I have got strains that have been in viles for months without separation. I recently bought a cheaper alternative (BB Mix Pro) slightly cheaper but although it doesn't separate either. I prefer the EJ.

From what I have gathered, EJ is a mix of the aforementioned 3 ingredients, all of 'em do. The ratio (key) is proprietary but, it does work with everything I threw at it Since I no longer smoke and I can no longer smoke the bud (even through a vaporiser) I had to find a way to make canna e-juice. In the long run waaaay cheaper than buying vape cartriges.
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 PM #10
Mengsk

Mengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the roughMengsk is a jewel in the rough
It is a huge amount of work and/or very expensive to consume extracts compared to lighting a spliff but if looking for a change or especially people that may have asthma or COPD, many reasons it is so worth it especially with a bubbler. Lot of prep up front but the little e cig things are one and done super convenient. I'm not sure that burning cannabis even harms you at all the way that tobacco does, but if you are stuck to edibles/tinctures unable to tolerate how it dries the throat etc then potential bubbler/inhaler candidate you almost don't cough at all.
Mengsk is offline Quote