Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!"

Thread Title Search
BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!" Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 AM #21
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudGood View Post
Because I live in a windy desert environment, theres always dust blowing around outside to some degree. I've refined my technique down to a t, for my area. YMMV.

The reason why I leave it to drip? Because I'm not gonna let it sit there waiting for the last 5% to drip out (on a okief xl or similar, after doing 3-3.5 cans), it will drip out a couple of grams after the lions share of the butane runs through. It takes way too long, I'd rather just set it off to the side while I'm getting the main part evap'd. It really does drip out quite a bit: ask my buddy, he found out the hard way after he semi-ruined the finish on his table, thought it was done running out (his lady just about killed him).

Not really concerned about the tube being hard to clean, it's not hard to dump it out and use a bit of alcohol to clean it out. (remember, I use stainless extractors)

I use a basket ball inflation pump to blow out the last bit of liquid.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 PM #22
Hash Zeppelin
Ski Bum Rodeo Clown

Hash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond reputeHash Zeppelin has a reputation beyond repute
hey good tip!

Quote:
"I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power." -Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
"Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people." -Carl Sagan
Quote:
"When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."
-Napoleon Bonaparte
Hash Zeppelin is offline Quote

Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 AM #23
DSoG

DSoG will become famous soon enough
bho making bylaw # 424.12-6,7:

"when making bho, if you have an explosion blame it on everything BUT the explosive gas used to make said bho" , "if all signs point to bho as blame, say it was CO2 extraction and not bho afterall"
DSoG is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 AM #24
TripleDraw27

TripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of lightTripleDraw27 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSoG View Post
bho making bylaw # 424.12-6,7:

"when making bho, if you have an explosion blame it on everything BUT the explosive gas used to make said bho" , "if all signs point to bho as blame, say it was CO2 extraction and not bho afterall"
You ever ask yourself this -

If BHO makes people retarded, how come I am always the one looking and acting the most retarded?

Sorry Dontstepongrass, but things have been so nice here without constant hate
TripleDraw27 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:40 AM #25
BudGood
"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."

BudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really niceBudGood is just really nice
Only a matter of time before the mods put the dsog account on sorta-ban. Only the shunned person can see their own posts, I think that's what they did to the trolls original account.

Tripledraw, good observation!

GW, tried that, still had some dripping out even after, didn't wanna screw with it, so I just went to the drip method only for the last little bit. Works fine.

Bud's DGS Grow

I don't start it, I finish it. Remember that before you get disrespectful. If ya wouldn't say it in person, don't say it online. Some of you were obviously never taught the Golden Rule, google it!

BudGood is offline Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 PM #26
Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bongjangles View Post
Hi BJ!

Good visual effects, which I read as well done, but staged to demonstrate a point!

In actual point of fact, cannabis oil is flammable and does burn readily if ignited instead of vaporized.

Leaving residual butane in the oil would not come remotely close to producing the effects demonstrated, because there simply would not be enough present, unless it was stupidly obvious.

The key point I think may be missed here, is that burning cannabis oil in in any form, is a bad thing. Refining the concentrate into it's absolute reduces the danger to a minimum, but any time you burn cannabis, in any form, you ingest smoke that is insalubrious.

At my age, my lungs no longer accept burning material, so I surrendered and no longer offer any arguments to try and justify it. I just say no!

Well, um, mostly. To my eternal damnation and discredit, sometimes I just have to taste to see if it tastes as good as it smells. Kaf, kaf, kaf...........

Another key point missed, is that many oral or topical medications require an oil extraction. All cannabis medical needs are not met by toking, and without oil, we would not have the oral and topical meds available to us that we do.

I challenge anyone stepping up to the line in the sand, that cannabis patient medical needs include light years more than simply toking the best of the best full melt clear dome hash, regardless of how delightful it is.

I see that as more of the issue, and wonder why the question ever arose and having arose hasn't long since been put to bed!

For instance, what other medications do you use to maintain your health and well being that you go to such great lengths to eschew and discredit?

Aspirin? Wanna talk about how that is made and how flamable acetic anhydride is?

PS: The pipe they are dumping the oil in is incandecent. It should just dropping below red to be in the vaporization range.

It would also take an egregeously excessive amount of oil to create that much flame. What were they thinking or trying to demonstrate do you suppose?

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.

Last edited by Gray Wolf; 05-27-2011 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: PS

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 AM #27
Gray Wolf

bump

Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM #28
Capn
Blowing O's

Capn has a spectacular aura aboutCapn has a spectacular aura aboutCapn has a spectacular aura about
The hash oil flamethrower video is awesome. That guy was trying to smoke 1g of hash oil through a super-heated quartz bho rig.

He failed spectacularly.
When the soul lies down in that grass,
The world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
Doesn’t make any sense.

- Jelaluddin Rumi
Capn is offline Quote

Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 PM #29
shmalphy
Banned

shmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really niceshmalphy is just really nice
IMHO the risk outweighs the reward when making solvent based extractions unless you

a) are a trained lab tech who knows about safety when dealing with compressed or combustible gases
b) have access to a lab or have created an adequate lab yourself (not seen on youtube)
c) have all safety precautions in place (as in respirators, safety glasses, etc)
d) are nowhere near your grow

With that said, I am sure I will be flamed for posting an opinion that goes against the general public's, albeit in a thread titled "BHO Safety"

With each batch of BHO you waste enough money on butane to buy a set of bubble bags, or kif screen.

If you do it right (see FMCD) the quality of bubble far exceeds any solvent based product.

Even if you don't get full melt, doing a bho run with hash instead of raw plant material reduces the amount of butane required.

Many people think that everything can be a simple DIY project. A wise man once said to me "never gamble what you are not willing to lose"

I think it's unfortunate that people are starting to lose their lives to this plant (in the extraction process), which is going to destroy the reputation of it (see the poppy, the coca plant etc) and limit people's access to it even further.
shmalphy is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 AM #30
Hashmasta-Kut
honey oil addict

Hashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud ofHashmasta-Kut has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
Hi ya'll! Have ya'll been watching the folks blowing themselves and their homes up using butane extraction techniques, thus leading you to believe that such an attempt is suicidal?

Thank Gawd (Great Spirit) that paying attention to details reduces the odds to limits that you might embrace, after being thus enlightened. May we discuss, before you give up all BHO extraction attempts in difference to your family and home?

Clearly Butane is inflammable and can be explosive, if confined in a small space and supplied with about 1.86 to 8.41 percent butane to atmospheric air content and an ignition source.

In addition, ignition sources come from a number of different unexpected sources, so let's discuss that issue.

For starters, I never personally do a butane extraction indoors or any confined space! None at all, zero, zip, forget about it! It is important to keep it below explosive limits!

I do it all outdoors, with a non sparking plastic fan blowing, not sucking, the butane evaporation away! Butane loves self abuse and will clump together and pool, being that it is heavier than air.

I use three fans to keep any free butane dispersed below ignition limits of 1.86% and from it pooling and accumulating in low spots like through my basement window to my basement, chock full of ignition sources.

The central point is that concentration of the butane boiling off can be kept diluted below combustion limits, by blowing the accumulating vapors away using a fan.

Secondly, let's talk about stupid ignition sources. Despite previous discussions, I have literally grabbed the hands of cigarette smokers poised to light a cigarette while extracting. What can I say about addicts whom go on automatic pilot and forget where they are? Leave your cigarettes and lighter elsewhere

Lose the lighter and cigarettes (bong?) if you are an addict! Once the pin is pulled on a 5 second grenade, it is not your friend!

All pretty simple, but lets talk about subtleties! How about sparks?

Starting simple, dragging your feet on concrete, if you have gravel in your shoes can create a spark.

Wearing plastic clothing, especially socks, can also build up and discharge a static electricity spark.

Unless it is an explosion proof fan, always blow, instead of suck the vapors away, not only for efficiency reasons, but because the sparks from an electric motor slip ring can ignite the vapors.

Always use plastic or other spark proof blades, because a grain of sand can spark when hitting a steel blade, and be propelled into the concentrated vapors.

Always keep a fully charged and recently inspected fire extinguisher on hand. Shit sometimes happens and less shit is better, as I see it!

Never had to use one at home, though I have in industry, but they can't be beaten when they are called for!

If you get inadvertently sprayed with butane, stop, and go change clothes. Immolating as I sees it, is highly overrated!

Keep a blanket on hand, and if you do get unexpectedly ignited, immediately wrap yourself in it to extinguish the flames.

The good news is that none of the above has ever happened to me, but then I do pay close attention and try my very best to avoid it.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

there's lots of stuff overly safe in there, i dont believe you need to do all of that, are you getting paranoid from heavy use of concentrates?