Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

Thread Title Search
Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM #41
jump117

jump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant future
"runny" is incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashmasta-Kut View Post
it is usually still quite hard though, and not runny. sometimes a very small amount softer, but not runny by any means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenIrie View Post
After a year of curing only roughly half of the THCA will convert to THC, so this wouldn't be related to the viscosity, at least to any great extent.
Excuise my mistake please, "runny" is incorrect term.
I mean the viscosity of thick resin which is close to its point of melting for THC 40°C (104°F), its not runny nor firm,
while THCA is firm up to 70°C (158°F).

A mix of viscous and fragile.., result depends on percentage and shows is it decarboxylized or not.

Fully decarboxylized may not be fragile.
Well cured may be not fully decarboxylized.

For solvent extraction I see no profit in curing and even drying. In my opinion it takes time and gives nothing.
jump117 is online now Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 PM #42
Yukon Cornelius

Yukon Cornelius is on a distinguished road
This is too much! Just when I thought I knew everything.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 PM #43
ganja_hasi
natural mystic

ganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond reputeganja_hasi has a reputation beyond repute
ganja_hasi has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
hi jump117,
Very informative and impressive work thx for sharing
keep it up.

ᴥ Wake up call!! ᴥ
ganja_hasi is offline Quote

Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 PM #44
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Jump, you rascal!

I finally “couldn’t stands it no more” and took 55 grams of fresh G-13 buds, froze them, and then trimmed them into small pieces using scissors.

I stuffed those into a 1 1/8” X 12” glass column and put it back in the freezer for another hour, before passing 600 ml of butane through it. The butane had also been in the freezer for an hour.

Most notable to me, was the light yellow clear oil yielded, which darkened slightly after cooking in a 200F oil bath until (mostly) bubble free, washing out of the dish with 190 proof, and after a settling operation, cooking off again until quiescent.

Yield after processing was only around 3 grams, but what interesting heady stuff. That will not be the total yield of course, as I also will re-run the material after drying and further finely dividing.

I did an extra step to convert the concrete to an absolute, which seemed wasted in this case, as there was no appreciable precipitant, even after sub zeroing the mixture in the freezer.

The absolute clearly has more head effect than the average oil extraction from the same material after curing. Pain relief was still excellent!

Also of note is the flavor, which was described as “fresh” by two of those testing it thus far. A good description I’m thinking and delightful stuff! I tastes like G-13 smells.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 AM #45
jump117

jump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant futurejump117 has a brilliant future
AA (opium x maple leaf)

Hi Gray Wolf, thanks for the report and for the pleasure of being an indirect participant your practice.
I am happy to know that you and experts liked the quality of AA.

Will you please to clarify for me some details of your experience and your opinion.

Most often, I see the efficiency of a percentage of dry weight.
what dry weight corresponds to 55 grams of fresh flowers?
Suppose that 20 grams, from this point the yield of 3g is around 15%?

why cooking in a 200°F oil bath until (mostly) bubble free? imo it caused oxydation with no benefit.

Did 600 ml of butane passed the column through or was stayed inside for a time?
I made 10-20 minutes expositions in butane. I think timing affects the efficiency of extraction.

I yielded half the crop of fem seeds (opium x maple leaf) and produced a piece of AA from the remaining buds material.
Primary extracted 15 minutes in open pyrex tea pot at +30°C (86°F) temp outside.

I gently warmed one end to glue the sample to the base,
and the other end warmed a little more for the appearance of the bubble eyes, just to revive the image.
Finally dropped it on the tiled floor and it crashed into shards.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM #46
jump117

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM #47
gunnaknow

gunnaknow is just really nicegunnaknow is just really nicegunnaknow is just really nicegunnaknow is just really nicegunnaknow is just really nicegunnaknow is just really nicegunnaknow is just really nicegunnaknow is just really nice
Nice pics Jump. Weed loses about 75-80% of it's weight during drying. Grey Wolf must have used the equivalent of about 11-14g dried, if it was 55g when fresh. If he yielded 3g of AA then that would be equivalent to a return of 21-27%, from dried bud. That seems rather high but maybe it's because he used G13.
gunnaknow is offline Quote

Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 PM #48
Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant futureGray Wolf has a brilliant future
Good point on wet versus dry weight!

As a rule of thumb, I usually look for around 25% ending dry weight from fresh buds, assuming 10/15% moisture content. With that assumption, 55 grams wet would have ended up as 13.75 grams dry, which makes the 3.1 grams of oil a 22.6% yield.

Though not outstanding, it seems respectable and I still plan another extraction to see what was missed. Microscopic examination shows some intact heads remaining, though mostly just stalks.

I cooked the oil at 200F to rapidly purge and extracted vaporization samples at several points in the process to compare taste and effect.

I continued to cook it because of curiosity! I became interested in what the profusion of small bubbles really were.

They were more profuse than with oil extracted from cured material, but at 200F, I was not close to the boiling point of any known terpenoid or flavoids.

ß-caryophyllene is the lowest boiling point terpenoid or flavoids at 246.2F and I am not surprised at the small bubbles when I decarboxylate at 250F, but what is boiling at 200F? I suspect that they may be C02 from decarboxylation, as opposed to turpenoids.

I didn’t soak mine in butane, but passed it through one time. I primarily wanted first hand knowledge of the differences between fresh and cured bud oil and the small sample was not large enough to run in my unrefined pressurized column.

While I can freeze everything before hand, for safety reasons I can’t put butane back in any of my freezers to keep it from boiling off.

As it was 82F here, I wasn’t confident that I could keep the butane liquid, and am impressed that you were able to maintain enough heat sink to do so at 86F. That gives me heart to review it again and be more venturesome!

I actually took pictures and was intending to publish, but alas my last picture of the results turned out poorly. I used sunlight to illuminate the beaker and sadly all of the bubble pops on the glass took away the pristine clarity of the absolute.

As a discredit to my photographic professionalism, I didn’t download and review the pictures before allowing the sample to be distributed for testing. Here they are anyway. The last shot demonstrates my point regarding the color of the extract, though not the clarity. It is still hot and liquid, but solidified to taffy consistency.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction components.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	66235 Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction column assy.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	436.9 KB
ID:	66236 Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction butane injection.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	66237

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 PM #49
Gray Wolf

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Extraction blow down.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	66238 Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction butane boil off.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	66239 Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooking off the alcohol.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	66240 Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction absolute reduction.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	66241

Old 07-01-2010, 03:15 PM #50
Gray Wolf

Last picture and the embarassing one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Extraction absolute.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	66242