Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cannabis Concentrates > Home TLC Thin layer chromatography

Thread Title Search
Home TLC Thin layer chromatography Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 AM #31
Amandla

Amandla is on a distinguished road
whats the meaning of ¨Cryptics¨ and ¨Acids¨ ? more shit and other things in weed or im wrong?
Im searching and i cant find nothing...maybe somebody can help me tnx
Amandla is offline Quote

Click to shop for Extractors and Hardware
Old 07-26-2014, 07:37 PM #32
dybert

dybert is a jewel in the roughdybert is a jewel in the roughdybert is a jewel in the roughdybert is a jewel in the roughdybert is a jewel in the roughdybert is a jewel in the roughdybert is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandla View Post
whats the meaning of ¨Cryptics¨ and ¨Acids¨ ? more shit and other things in weed or im wrong?
Im searching and i cant find nothing...maybe somebody can help me tnx
I am extremely versed in TLC testing of Cannabis.

Crytpics refer to cannabinoids we don't know the name of, or that haven't been properly identified yet.

Acids are the acidic forms of the cannabinoids. You will see a huge flame at the bottom of the plate that is comprised of all the acids.

In order to read the neutral forms, you need to heat the plate, and then run it. To read the acids, you can then read the difference in the hot and cold lane.

You seemed to have bumped an old thread, there are a few companies dedicated to this method of testing.
dybert is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 AM #33
Cannabliss420

Cannabliss420 will become famous soon enoughCannabliss420 will become famous soon enoughCannabliss420 will become famous soon enough
been interested in this route of home testing as well but have been hesitant. works on concentrates too right? what computer software/hardware is needed to quantify all the data from the TLC testing into an easy to read format on the computer? maybe dybert knows
Cannabliss420 is offline Quote

Old 09-09-2014, 02:46 PM #34
Mcgrh

Mcgrh will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganja din View Post
Hey bro,

You want the salt, fast blue bb salt, it shows all the neutral cannabinoids. You don't need a license.

Use silica. Dip the plate, do not spray.

Here is a quick into, this might have typos or slight omissions, I'm tired. If so ill fix it tomorrow:

1. Extract cannabinoids

2. Sample super critical solution with micropipett.

3. Spot plate with micropipett. Two applications per spot can be good. This is the stationary phase.

4. Put plate into 'developing chamber'. This is the mobile phase. In the chamber is the hexane:ether mix (4:1), a little in the bottom. Along one side of the chamber is the filter paper, it is wet with developing solvent (synonymous with mobile phase). The filter paper and solvent are to fill chamber with fumes to facilitate the mobile phase. The developing solution will run up the plate. Dragging invisible lines of cannabinoids with it. Once wet mark reaches top line of plate (0.5" from top of plate) its done. Pull out and allow plate to dry. This can be speed up with very light warm air from hair dryer, but allowing to dry in a vacuum desiccator is much, much more ideal and quicker too

5. Before applying the visualization reagent one should make the silica plate alkaline first, better results with cannabinoids. So mix up as below and quickly dip the plate into the alkaline solvent. Allow plate to dry as before.

6. After plate is dry dip in reagent (1% fast blue BB salt in water). Allow to dry as before.

7. After plate is dry dip in preservation solution. Same as the alkaline solution. Allow plate to dry as before.

8. Scan plate with flatbed scanner and upload to JustQuantify for free spot density scanning and assay. If you place a few different samples on one plate it makes comparisons easier and more accurate.

Done!

You also need (at least):

Chemicals:

Petroleum ether (extract solvent)

Hexane

Ether (mix with hexane as 4:1 hexane:ether as mobile phase)

Fast blue bb salt (visualization reagent - add 1% to water)

0.1M sodium hydroxide (Alkaline solvent and Preservation solvent)

Materials:

Glass jars 1L, 0.5 L, 0.25 L

filter paper

5mg spatula

Microscale

A few eppendorf (1.5 ml each)

Eppendorf holders

Capillary micropipett (3ul)

1ml pipett

Pasture Pipett

50 ml test tubes

5 ml vials

Motor and pestal

Test tube vibrator or ultrasonic vibrator (optional)

US sources of chemicals:

I get fast blue bb salt here:
https://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/PVAR/10413/SLF1114

Carolina chemicals:
(They sell many kinds of kits)
https://www.carolina.com/category/phy..._hom_chemicals

Science Lab (same place I get reagent):
https://www.sciencelab.com/page/S/CTGY/10405

Here is a good ebay site:
https://stores.ebay.com/AVOGADROS-LAB-SUPPLY
Since this post is almost five years old, does anyone know if this is still the best deal/best place to procure these items? I've got one of those cannalytics test kits and the refills are pretty steep.

Furthermore, is this still the best and closest thing to measuring %THC vs. %CBD on a homemade scale as opposed to going to a professional full blown lab? MyDx is still a ways from being sold to the public (they're saying December).

Thanks in advance
Mcgrh is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 PM #35
sadpanda

sadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nice
Hello! Im sooo relieved to have found this thread. When i learned that all the main cannabis detection home kits just use TLC, and when i found out how easy TLC is, wow it was a relief!! My best friend has cancer and she's been amazed how well CBD oil has helped in all sorts of ways during her chemotherapy, but its not possible to get a high CBD clone here so they have to grow out seeds and test.

And if im not mistaken TLC seems the best option for a non-chemist home grower on a budget to get a rough estimate on whether their plant has no, low, medium or high CBD. I understand its limitations but that beautiful orange CBD spot seems better than anything else I could use - without it i'm blind. Although yes i think we'll also use the Beam's test with potassium hydroxide.

But then when it came to reading up about this special ingredient Fast Blue BB my heart sunk when I read this paper https://www.google.com/patents/US4771005
Quote:
There are however problems with said diazonium salts with regard to their instability, since once formed, aromatic diazonium salts react with a host of different nucleophile. The Fast Blue BB Salt is attacked by the weakly nucleophile-H2 O and is decomposed to the corresponding phenol. In slightly basic solution, necessary for cannabis detection, this process is accelerated. With a life span of only days before decomposing, pre-packaged solutions of diazonium salts have not been commercialized, despite the proven superiority of such salts and the widespread demand thereof.
In recent years many attempts have been made to stabilize diazonium salts, so that they could be used in detection kits.
However that paper is from 1988.

So my question is how does Fast Blue BB come - just in a regular package? or refrigerated?

How long does it last once youve got it? does keeping it in the freezer allow long term storage??

In other words... HOW is everyone using it if it only lasts such a short time!? and what are those commercial cannabis kits like alpha cat and cannalytics etc using??

Everything else in the process and obtaining them seems no problem, its just this Fast Blue BB which has me stumped!!

Last edited by sadpanda; 08-27-2016 at 05:02 AM..
sadpanda is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2016, 09:27 AM #36
sadpanda

sadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nicesadpanda is just really nice
i havent got any yet, there are quite a few labs in China that sell it though. From what i read Fast Corinth V works well as a "general purpose test for cannabinoids" but isnt as good as Fast Blue BB because it shows THC, CBD and CBN all as the same hue, whereas Fast Blue BB shows CBD as orange, THC as scarlet-red etc. (https://www.unodc.org/documents/scien...R-40-Ebook.pdf)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM #37
sadpanda

"A visualizing spray used early on, fast blue B, was replaced by many practitioners with fast blue 2B because the former is thought to be carcinogenic." page 56 https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&t...sbn:0080472893
im pretty sure Fast Blue 2B is just another name for Fast Blue BB

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:14 PM #38
G.O. Joe

G.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to all
B and BB are more toxic than carcinogenic. The statement is based on scientists spraying this stuff in something on big plates all the time - and known issues with the B base o-dianisidine, traces of which may or may not be in the zinc tetrazo salt. Without a test it's speculative and hearsay.

The MSDS I read for BB said it's gray so that means it will be powder of some color. The container will probably say something about storage and may or may not have seen refrigeration at some point. The main thing is if there is gas released when the container is opened there is a problem. It's kept in the freezer, but cold moisture-sensitive substance containers are brought to room temperature before opening them. Solutions are used immediately.
G.O. Joe is offline Quote

Old 08-10-2016, 11:25 PM #39
sadpanda

thankyou very much Joe! this is the sort of information about Fast Blue which i've found virtually impossible to find. I wonder what the commercial cannabis test kits use? they all seem to come in a premixed solution, i dont think any come with Fast Blue powder

Old 08-11-2016, 12:26 AM #40
G.O. Joe

G.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to allG.O. Joe is a name known to all
That same UNODC document says Daily preparation of the spray reagent may not be required when Fast Blue BB or Fast Blue RR are used (0.2 per cent w/v solution of Fast Blue BB or Fast Blue RR in methanol or methanol/water 1:1), so maybe the methanolic solution is more stable. No major chemical supplier sells it in solution ever, there's that.
G.O. Joe is offline Quote