You want the salt, fast blue bb salt, it shows all the neutral cannabinoids. You don't need a license.
Use silica. Dip the plate, do not spray.
Here is a quick into, this might have typos or slight omissions, I'm tired. If so ill fix it tomorrow:
1. Extract cannabinoids
2. Sample super critical solution with micropipett.
3. Spot plate with micropipett. Two applications per spot can be good. This is the stationary phase.
4. Put plate into 'developing chamber'. This is the mobile phase. In the chamber is the hexane:ether mix (4:1), a little in the bottom. Along one side of the chamber is the filter paper, it is wet with developing solvent (synonymous with mobile phase). The filter paper and solvent are to fill chamber with fumes to facilitate the mobile phase. The developing solution will run up the plate. Dragging invisible lines of cannabinoids with it. Once wet mark reaches top line of plate (0.5" from top of plate) its done. Pull out and allow plate to dry. This can be speed up with very light warm air from hair dryer, but allowing to dry in a vacuum desiccator is much, much more ideal and quicker too
5. Before applying the visualization reagent one should make the silica plate alkaline first, better results with cannabinoids. So mix up as below and quickly dip the plate into the alkaline solvent. Allow plate to dry as before.
6. After plate is dry dip in reagent (1% fast blue BB salt in water). Allow to dry as before.
7. After plate is dry dip in preservation solution. Same as the alkaline solution. Allow plate to dry as before.
8. Scan plate with flatbed scanner and upload to JustQuantify for free spot density scanning and assay. If you place a few different samples on one plate it makes comparisons easier and more accurate.
You also need (at least):
Petroleum ether (extract solvent)
Ether (mix with hexane as 4:1 hexane:ether as mobile phase)
Fast blue bb salt (visualization reagent - add 1% to water)
0.1M sodium hydroxide (Alkaline solvent and Preservation solvent)
Glass jars 1L, 0.5 L, 0.25 L
A few eppendorf (1.5 ml each)
Capillary micropipett (3ul)
50 ml test tubes
5 ml vials
Motor and pestal
Test tube vibrator or ultrasonic vibrator (optional)
US sources of chemicals:
I get fast blue bb salt here:
(They sell many kinds of kits)
Science Lab (same place I get reagent):
Here is a good ebay site: