What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco Hempy style.

D

Dalaihempy

Okay Mango haze now the the one with orange back grounds one of the males the rest are females.

Attachments

• Cnv0045.jpg
    Cnv0045.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Cnv0044.jpg
    Cnv0044.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 74
  • Cnv0040.jpg
    Cnv0040.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Cnv0047.jpg
    Cnv0047.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 78
D

Dalaihempy

Big fan of the hempy bucket, haven't had many opportunities to use them so I have a few questions...

the inert medium in the bottom of the bucket acts as a reservoir so the roots can suck up all the nutrients?

No the medium in the bottom like the perlite i used under the coco is so the coco can drain and act work as it should if you fill the bucket fully with coco it remains water loged and wont work right by simpply adding perlite or clay rocks or im thinking even gravile or coco chips and so on it allows the coco to drain into the rez as coco wicks up it puts a buffer between the rez and coco allowing it to drain and work asit should if that makes sence.

should i put rocks over the rez hole in the side so the coco can't fall out?

The coco wont fall out.

and if there is a reservoir in the bottom would a drip system be defeated?

Well yes there is that is why you have a drain hole 2 inchs up below that is the built in rez.

also whats your idea of the nutrient levels that should be ran?[/QUOTE]

You mix the nutrient with water as sed on the nutrient instructions you feed the plants it every watering and fill rez in short your medium has no nutrient value so you add it.

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
running a version on this my self..... although i am using all coco no perlite... running it out doors so well see how it goes check out my old mother sativa thread Dalaihempy Id like your input along the way :)

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I used these when I did coco hempy buckets.
pPETS-3763325dt.jpg

If I remember correctly they held somewhere between 3 and 5 gallons. I gave them 2" of perlite, and filled the rest with fine coco.

D

Dalaihempy

You know the od thing i find useing coco its the little flying mozzi like bugs that just show up there not a prob at all just odd to see them show up from no were soon as the plants are harvested they go to.

This grow i had these things that looked like blow flys started with 2 then a few days later it was more killed them yea i just had to lol but its od its almost like there laying dorment in the coco and soon as you add water they show up any of you notice this or am i the only one to.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
Hi Hempy,

I have never ran coco or used hempy buckets before. Always organic soil for me, but I have got to try this method ASAP.

One question, my tap water PH is 7.2-7.4 and it gives me problems in organic soil, so I have to lower it every watering. Do I need to worry about the PH using the Hempy Buckets?

Also, what do you think about running the buckets outdoors?

shroomyshroom

Veteran
You know the od thing i find useing coco its the little flying mozzi like bugs that just show up there not a prob at all just odd to see them show up from no were soon as the plants are harvested they go to.

This grow i had these things that looked like blow flys started with 2 then a few days later it was more killed them yea i just had to lol but its od its almost like there laying dorment in the coco and soon as you add water they show up any of you notice this or am i the only one to.

I get them every grow i use new coco lol :dunno:

D

Dalaihempy

Hi Hempy,

I have never ran coco or used hempy buckets before. Always organic soil for me, but I have got to try this method ASAP.

One question, my tap water PH is 7.2-7.4 and it gives me problems in organic soil, so I have to lower it every watering. Do I need to worry about the PH using the Hempy Buckets?

Also, what do you think about running the buckets outdoors?

hi Phoenix well my tap waters around 7 and i never had a problem the only thing i would tell you to do before you start to grow is flush the coco real well and mix your nutrients as stated on the instructions thats it mate.

I get them every grow i use new coco lol :dunno:

Hiya shroomy so squoters in short i think there cool in that it gives they dont do any harm there fine by me but the blow fly insects got eraticated as they started to moltiple and freeked me out in short lol.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
Thanks Hempy

I cant wait to try this out. I have good success in soil, but this method is alot less work for sure. As soon as it warms up a bit here I will put it to the test and see if I have any issues.

choch

Thanks for the warning about the bugs in coco. Glad to hear they are harmless. One of the things I like about perlite and similar is no fungus gnats will hitch a ride into your garden like could happen in soil. Would have freaked me out to see bugs coming out with the first use of coco lol.

B

BioMechanical

How many days do these buckets go between watering in your garden?

shroomyshroom

Veteran
How many days do these buckets go between watering in your garden?

want to know this to... my out door pot can go +10 days :)

but they are only seedlings atm... gave em there first dose of nutes yesterday hope its gonna be a good show :)

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
The kind of bucket that I posted went for 2-3 days without watering, with a 2" deep reservoir at the bottom. Maybe they could've gone a few days longer, but I saw no need to let my coco dry out. That leads to sad plants, fast.

shroomyshroom

Veteran
The kind of bucket that I posted went for 2-3 days without watering, with a 2" deep reservoir at the bottom. Maybe they could've gone a few days longer, but I saw no need to let my coco dry out. That leads to sad plants, fast.

I would have to disagree there mate, I find when I starve my plants of of water for a day or 2 they grow a lot better than plants that are constantly fed and the medium kept moist.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
If your plants are growing good, in coco, you're definitely not starving them of water. If coco dries out, your plants die. It's that simple. In the buckets that I posted, I let maybe the top 1/4" dry out before I watered, but no more.

shroomyshroom

Veteran
If your plants are growing good, in coco, you're definitely not starving them of water. If coco dries out, your plants die. It's that simple. In the buckets that I posted, I let maybe the top 1/4" dry out before I watered, but no more.

Your plants don't die after 1 - 2 days of starving mate, what the starving does is force the roots to search for food and water.. giving the plant much better root base..

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Thank you for explaining how roots work. I never said they'd die 1 - 2 days after starving. I think our definitions for the word starving differ.