What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I need a new led light. Mine is getting old and has a broken light panel

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I need a new cob LED grow light. Mine is getting old and one of the 4 corner light panels as has died. Mine is a 230 watt cob led grow lamp.
I wanted to order from Amazon but I don't know which one to get. There are so many choice. The most I'm willing to spend is a few $100.

The lamp i have now is 9 years old.

The grow space size is 4ft tall x 3ft wide x 9 ft long.

I've got a plant 2 wweks into flowering cycle. And I need to get the light ASAP.

You in put needed.
Thanks.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Mine is a 230 watt led cob lamp that ia a no name brand i got off of ebay.
It has served me well over these years.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

packerfan79

Veteran
Would go with mars hydro, or hlg. I have both. I have a tsl2000 from Mars hydro. I have 2 runs both over a gram per watt. I have a hlg 240 watt that I use for veg. Works great.

packerfan79

Veteran
How about this one. Is it too many watts for the size space i have to work with?
The grow space size is 4ft tall x 3ft wide x 9 ft long.

Check this out: MARS HYDRO TS 600W LED Grow Light 2x2ft Coverage Sunlike Ful... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VL8FZS1/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_imm_t1_qV1QFb4VDNFDY

I would go with a higher wattage. I have the tsl2000, which is 300 watts in a 2x4 space. It kicks ass. Both runs i got over a gram per watt. 2 of the tsl2000 would get you right.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Is this a good deal?
Check this out: VIPARSPECTRA UL Certified 300W LED Grow Light, with Daisy Ch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4GQ6MO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_imm_t1_fv1QFbPVBJ2K2
Friend, forget about the purple-light leds, these modern white leds are much better and more powerful.

I’d get two small white led lights for that 9ft space you got. 3500K is good temp color of bloom and veg

And get ones you can dim!!

..Cause modern leds are totally different animals than the purple ones 10 years ago, and you might see some leaf damage from the new white leds, cause you don’t have much height in your grow space. I have a 3500K 75W Cree COB in my veg cab (height 140cm/4.5ft) and I can’t run the Cree much higher than 20 watts or I dry out my plants when the tops are about 60-70cm away from the COB. That’s 20 watts from the wall. 110 Watt fluro light didn’t do that nor did a 75 watt HID. If I run the Cree with 25 watts the plants will start to wilt from the exposure very fast.
..On that topic, you will need to use abit of cal/mag and epsom salts when growing with these powerful modern white leds. Those will help keeping your leaves in better shape; not drying out so easily under these white leds. You can find a thead here on ICMag about this; It’s called “Led feed demands”. Here, check it out:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=366496

..yea, so get ones with dimmers so you can dial in the lights to suit your space. Imo, a must in small spaces with high power leds.
Spend the extra 100$ or two to get two nice lights with dimmers. You won’t be sorry cause I dimmer makes the light very easy to work with and suit different situations/spaces.

Sorry I can’t help you with which brand to choose, I have DIY cob-sets and just ordered some Samsung LM301H led strip kits.
Have you thought about DIY-kits? There’s COBs and led-strip

DIYs.These are quite easy to slap together. there’re many how-to-tutorials in the webs. Frame out of 20x20mm aluminium profile and bunch of rivets/bolts. If I can do it then so can anyone.
150 watt DIY dimmer light-kit with two Cree CXB3590 COBs costs around 275 euros + shipping from Germany. A 150 watt kit with sixteen 28 cm (24 chips each) Samsung LM301H strips + cooling/frame (30-40 euros/dollars) around 200 euros + shipping.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, Blurple leds are a thing of the past. Plenty of good white light full spectrum leds to choice from. HLG and Growers choice are what I prefer. I use a HLG 320 and a GC 420 and a Mars sp-250 in veg. If your on a budget Mars hydro are OK. I use the sp-250 for my seedlings and just rooted clones. All will work for flowering as well.

This will replace your cob.Not cheap.

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-225

This will also work well. More affordable. They dont sale the SP-250 anymore. It went to sp-3000 which is basically a sp-300. The sp are well made.

https://www.amazon.com/MARS-HYDRO-Coverage-Hydroponic-Spectrum/dp/B0855QW8FK/ref=sr_1_19?crid=2G3IP38ZJ6RMG&dchild=1&keywords=mars+hydro+sp+150w+led+grow+light&qid=1605124179&sprefix=mars+sp-150%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-19

Last edited:

indagroove

Veteran
Are you willing to buy a few parts and put your own rig together? It's less work than you might think. You can put together a high quality 240-watt setup for around $240.