What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reptile Guano

mexweed

Veteran
anyone ever tried it?

I searched reptile before I made this thread and found a post about alfalfa pellets that are reptile food being used as a soil amendment

how about feed the reptiles the alfalfa pellets and brew a tea with their poo?

I haven't heard about it, but I'm about to move into a new place and setting up a new grow and I'm definitely going to be putting some leopard geckos in the space. Those things are savages.

mexweed

Veteran
obviously dried and composted

bat guano can cause SARS and chicken manure is definitely a way higher salmonella risk

would the resulting guano from being fed alfalfa pellets specifically have all the benefits that people use alfalfa meal for such as triacontanol but also have a better P profile than alfalfa meal like guanos are typically used for

mexweed

Veteran
crab and fish stinks too, so does bison shit and all kinds of other things that get composted for organic growing, I have a bottle of liquid bone meal that smells like roadkill

they eat insects and alfalfa pellets, so will there be chitosan too

seems there is some information out there on maintaining a bioactive substrate with geckos

Mr Jay

Veteran
reptiles are not vegetarians.

meat eaters' poop generally stinks.

Many reptiles have a diet comprised nearly entirely of vege matter. We're talking the big dumpers here too, search out a giant tortoise sanctuary, a lot of states have them.

Cvh

Supermod
:lurk:
I personally don't see why it wouldn't work. It's just manure.
Try it maybe and let us know how it went.

starke

Stay away from reptiles that consume meat. Ten years ago I owned a motorcycle shop and had a six foot long Nile monitor lizard in a 16 x 5 display case with pool. It would eat three or four large rats or rabbits weekly. Shit smelled worse than any human.

For my outside garden I have composted chicken, horse, cow and goat manure over the years. No issues with those.

Latest posts

Latest posts