What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Origin of beady/pearly bud pheno (Dr. Grinspoon, quaze)

teide

Veteran
Interesting idea, takenbythesky.
It looks quite haze, and it might very well be something that occurs in any sativa, just more common in the original grinspoon than in destroyer and sssdh, for what ever reason.
I just want to get my hands on the pheno, to see if I hopefully get to preserve it for future breeding for a stealth hybrid to grow outdoors.
Right now I am trying to make and auto cambodian. When time comes I would like to start chucking to create the perfect stealth outdoor plant..
Drum roll...

The buds are beads on a string and the leaves are Australian bastard /subterfuge #1.

It has no big importance where the beads/pearl pheno comes from, as long as the pheno can be passed on with the freaky leaf pheno from freakshow or subterfuge.
Both Australian bastard, subterfuge#1 and ducksfoot are all too easily recognizeable when in bloom. Ducksfoot leaves even revert to palmate shape when in bloom. No good.
But subterfuge leaves with pearly buds will be very, very stealthy.
Good idea, no?

teide

Veteran
So I would like to know all there is about the pearl pheno. Is it a recessive trait, is it a mutation?
Does it stay the same if I find a keeper mom? Can I grow cuttings that maintain the pheno? Will those transmit the pheno when crossed with a freaky leaf strain?
Is the pearl bud weaker, same or more trippy than the non pearl bud?
Maybe it is impossible to lock down both the bud and leaf pheno if they are recessive or co-dominant, even more so getting the right pheno combination and at the same time keep potency..
Potency is an easy sacrifice for me. If it is stealthy outdoors, just plant more. The crucial thing is securing a freaky bud pheno now that true breeding freaky leaves have been accomplished in subterfuge and freakshow..
I better start a separate thread concerning the perfect stealth hybrid?

Mystic Funk

So I would like to know all there is about the pearl pheno. Is it a recessive trait, is it a mutation?
Does it stay the same if I find a keeper mom? Can I grow cuttings that maintain the pheno? Will those transmit the pheno when crossed with a freaky leaf strain?
Is the pearl bud weaker, same or more trippy than the non pearl bud?
Maybe it is impossible to lock down both the bud and leaf pheno if they are recessive or co-dominant, even more so getting the right pheno combination and at the same time keep potency..
Potency is an easy sacrifice for me. If it is stealthy outdoors, just plant more. The crucial thing is securing a freaky bud pheno now that true breeding freaky leaves have been accomplished in subterfuge and freakshow..
I better start a separate thread concerning the perfect stealth hybrid?

These phenotypes seem to come from Oaxacan gold lines. Grinspoon has Oaxacan in it. I have some Oaxacan gold going now that has the pearl stalk pheno. I like these ones over the higher yielding ones because the pearl stalk have a better high that's more uplifting and can get trippy.
These phenotypes are not very rare in my Oaxacan line. In fact I crossed them to O-Haze and I found more pearl stalk phenotypes pretty easily.

Peace
Mystic

T

TakenByTheSky

Interesting idea, takenbythesky.
It looks quite haze, and it might very well be something that occurs in any sativa, just more common in the original grinspoon than in destroyer and sssdh, for what ever reason.
I just want to get my hands on the pheno, to see if I hopefully get to preserve it for future breeding for a stealth hybrid to grow outdoors.
Right now I am trying to make and auto cambodian. When time comes I would like to start chucking to create the perfect stealth outdoor plant..
Drum roll...

The buds are beads on a string and the leaves are Australian bastard /subterfuge #1.

It has no big importance where the beads/pearl pheno comes from, as long as the pheno can be passed on with the freaky leaf pheno from freakshow or subterfuge.
Both Australian bastard, subterfuge#1 and ducksfoot are all too easily recognizeable when in bloom. Ducksfoot leaves even revert to palmate shape when in bloom. No good.
But subterfuge leaves with pearly buds will be very, very stealthy.
Good idea, no?

If you're looking for stealth look up the freakshow fern leaf strain. That you can just buy and don't have to pheno hunt for.

I made a cross off grinspoon vs ssh I grew a few but had to terminate the grow early and they never got to finish. The way that hybrid absolutely blows up with vigor I would guess there will be a high likelihood of pearls within. The non pearl gspoons have just normal vigor, it would seem from my observation of this strain over the years the Pearl pheno is more vigorous, stretches more and has a longer flowering time.

teide

Veteran
Interesting, mystic funk! Thanks for the contribution. Cool to hear that you have a pearl pheno in oaxacan. Seems there really are many lines where the pheno can show up.
Do you know if the pheno stays if cloned or revegged?
You confirmed that it can be passed on when crossed to original haze, cool. Was that in f1 or f2?

teide

Veteran
Yes, takenbythesky, freakshow could be a nice strain to use for its leaves. But it needs the pearl pheno as well. Though the branches are weird ferns, it is totally given away in flower.
Seems also that there are very many leaf phenos in freakshow. More than in subterfuge#1. It doesn't look as stable, but it might have a better high. Still needs some pheno hunting, perhaps, because of the variations within the leaf phenos.
More grow journals needed, I guess. From both subterfuge#1 and freakshow.

J

jaded1

As OJD said,was a NH pheno from an old member here called quase/quaze.There's a thread somewhere on here where he explains the story of how barney's ended up with his cut but cant remember all the details.

teide

Veteran
That is the conclusion I've come to as well, jaded1. The quaze thread unfortunately has no photos any more, but all the posts are praising that cut. Would have been nice to see those quaze shots!
So NH has haze in it. The pearl pheno is found in hazes.
Original Haze has thai, Indian and mexican. The pearl pheno is found in Oregon Purple Thai. Dubi also told me he has seen the pheno in his pure thais.
As far as India goes, the Indian landrace urgam valley seems to be all pearly buds.
Mystic funk's oaxacan line is mexican and contains many pearly phenos..
The conclusion must be that the pearly pheno can be found in all the building blocks of Neville's haze.

T

TakenByTheSky

There is some quaze pics here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112403&page=2

If you do an image search for "quaze ICmag" it brings up quite a few plants from other strains that have the bead buds.

Im'One

I am of the ineducated opinion thst once the indica is bred in, you aint gettin it back out. It would be my view to get some new landrace stock, find your high inducing phenos and breed them to one another.

Start from scratch and you might reach nirvana in about ten years with one aspect of the numerous aspects you are working towards. Mother nature is fickle as fuck though.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is other plants of course that display this characteristic but the quaze/gringspoon is a specific Frankincense pheno common in Haze and is a Haze dominant pheno.
Other strains just look like it with completely different terps/High etc so are a completely different thing to this quaze/gringspoon/Nevil Haze cut.

To me you can find much better phenos that give the same terps/highs but grow normal sized buds, quaze/gringspoon is very special because of the specific Haze flavour and High but is found in other Haze strains if you do a big hunt of multiple packs of strains like Nevil Haze or A5 Haze leaning strains

teide

Veteran
Thanks ojd. You know your stuff.
I just wanted to know the lineage of grinspoon and also where the pearly pheno originates from. Thanks to you and takenbythesky I am now convinced that barney's original Dr. Grinspoon was NH, and that the pearl pheno can be found in many a haze and landrace sativa. I agree if the exact same high and terpenes can be found in fat buds, there is no big point in growing a pearl pheno more than for the fun and novelty.
And that is my idea. A novel stealth strain. The pearl pheno is the only bud option if you want a fully stealthy strain. ABC, ducksfoot, and freakshow all have great leaf structures that looks nothing like marihuana. Then comes flowering, and the stealth is gone. Make a hybrid with mutated leaves AND mutated pearly buds, and we are taking a whole other ball game. Stealth growers dont mind the lack of frankincense aroma and clear, soaring sativa high if the plant looks like nettle throughout its whole life cycle..

Mystic Funk

Interesting, mystic funk! Thanks for the contribution. Cool to hear that you have a pearl pheno in oaxacan. Seems there really are many lines where the pheno can show up.
Do you know if the pheno stays if cloned or revegged?
You confirmed that it can be passed on when crossed to original haze, cool. Was that in f1 or f2?

No problem!
Yes it stays this way for me if cloned or reveg. I'm up to F3 on the haze x Oaxacan gold and I still get them. I can't comment on the grinspoon though. Never had it.

Peace
Mystic

rootfingers

Picked up a pack of Urgam Valley. If they come despite the pandemic I'll get them grown out in a greenhouse and see what is there.

teide

Veteran
This is interesting news.

Hey Guys I head to our Caribbean Facility on the 29th of July , will be Germinating the Senior Garcia and I was Given 2 packs of the Current Grinspoon offering from a friend in the UK .
I will run the Grinspoon Next to Senior Garcia Thanks to a German Customer who Gave. them back to me was his favourite he gave me 12 original seeds and 50 f-2 he made .

rolandomota

If I remember correctly grinspoon was/ is a Mexican cross I found a plant like that once in Mex bagseed. I'm looking for high yield low yield just pisses me off no matter how good it is