What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st Indoor Grow DWC LED Dos Si Dos 33

Hi all, I wanted to create a diary of my first indoor grow, I will be using a top fed DWC that I made and will be growing in a 1.5mx1.5mx1.8m GreenQube roof tent. My setup can be seen here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=368620

I will also be journaling my grows on Grow Diaries and this one is at https://growdiaries.com/diaries/50098-barney-039-s-farm-dos-si-dos-33-grow-journal-by-doofus-mcfluro

I have two identical tents like this in one room.

IMG_1071.jpg

Planted eight seeds in rockwool and placed in DWC with pumps off and fed with 5.5pH 50/50 water and ran the temp at 25°C with RH 55%. 2x300w LEDs on 24hrs.

IMG_1081.jpg

Six seeds popped up on the morning of day 3 whereupon the humidity was raised to 70%

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

More to come...

Thanks for the replies guys. The lights are Electric Sky 300s from https://thegreensunshineco.com

Douglas, I am not exactly certain as I have no temp control on the rez so I am assuming that it will eventually equalise to the room in the low 20s. Currently I am having to heat the tent rather than cooling it so hopefully the rez temp will not be an issue.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Thanks for the replies guys. The lights are Electric Sky 300s from https://thegreensunshineco.com

Douglas, I am not exactly certain as I have no temp control on the rez so I am assuming that it will eventually equalise to the room in the low 20s. Currently I am having to heat the tent rather than cooling it so hopefully the rez temp will not be an issue.
Yikes, you'll want to be absolutely sure of your res temps. Though you're top feeding, which will constantly supply oxygen to the exposed roots, the roots in solution will have oxygen issues at higher than 20C temps.

Above 18.4C and below 20C at all times, and you'll be great. :) Trust me, after 15+ years of indoor hydro (mostly DWC), you don't want to be fiddling around with h202 or other sterilizing methods. Keep the temps accurate and you'll be fine. :)

Should you find temp control a no-go, I recommend switching to drip through clay pebbles. :) They can tolerate up to mid 30'sC

Personally, I flower at around 20C and 15-20% humidity. Absolutely crushes the quality from hot/wet flowers. :)

Hi Douglas, thanks very much for the advice. I just took a temp reading with a laser thermometer and the solution was 21.7°C or at least the bottom of the rez was.

When you say dripping through clay pebbles, isn't that what I am doing essentially as I have the small rockwool cubes set in clay pebbles and the drip hose is feeding into the pebbles?

What method would you suggest for cooling my 100L rez a couple of °? I really don't fancy splashing out for a couple of water chillers for both my tents. I did see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnKlIc6oCCg homemade Peltier chiller that might be effective and efficient or something like this off the shelf one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144W-Thermoelectric-Peltier-Refrigeration-TEC1-12706-Cooler-water-cooling-System/173219597843?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225076%26meid%3D809d234ea46a4635b40e7176f6d0c13d%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D312939916157%26itm%3D173219597843%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851. Alternately I could get a small fridge and run 50m of hose through it and back to the rez, that way one fridge could service both tents.

I did setup a 600mg/h ozone generator attached to a 100mm ceramic airstone to give the rez a daily blast during the night cycle (to avoid getting ozone in the stomata) to help with oxygenation.

Do you start at 20°C during flowering or do you gradually lower the temp through the flowering stage?

At day 10 now and 100% of the seeds have geminated but a couple were very slow. Some of them are looking a bit ropey with drooping leaves and one tends to lean over in various directions. I have dimmed and raised the lights somewhat.

I will eventually be whittling down to the best four.

I originally set my EC to 1.1 but the pH Down boosted it up to 1.2 so I am going to cut it back soon. Realised my pH Down was phosphorus based so I will be switching to a nitrate-based one soon, as I think it's getting too much phosphorus as my nutrient regime is KISS MaxiBloom.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Sorry, they are not the best of photos.

Vienna White Light Tontaube Box (5)

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

Day 14 and their leaves are still not looking great. I have raised the lights and am dialing back the EC which is currently at 1.1 after the last adjustment. I will be exchanging 10l from the rez at the next inspection to do this.

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks MagusMind. I wasn't happy with the way that some of the leaves curled up slightly, not sure why but as a cautionary measure I have raised the lights and dialled back the EC to 1.

Latest pics day 19. Starting growth from the 3rd node.

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

MtnGanj

Good luck - that’s an ambitious first indoor run. Good think there is no shortage of veteran support around here!

Here are some logging charts.

This one is for the rez.

EC and changes.
PH and changes.
Solution usage in mm.
Rez temp.
Light height to canopy.

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 21.31.55.jpg

This one is for growth of the four best plants so far, the other three (culled one yesterday) are pretty similar to the smaller ones.

Height and girth.

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 21.32.18.jpg

Day 20.

Day temp 24°c
Night temp 20°c
Rez temp 20°c
RH 70%
EC 1 Maxibloom KISS
Tap water EC 0.6 pH 8.23
PH 6.18 (ph down phosphoric acid)

I look to be getting a calcium deficiency?, which is a little surprising to me as I have fairly hard water. I am wondering if it is due to me using a phosphor based pH down and I am getting some lock out. I originally mixed the Maxibloom to 1.1 EC, however, after adjusting the pH the EC went up to 1.2. I have dumped 15 litres and refilled with straight tap water bringing my EC to 1 and raising pH to just above 6.

Is this a matter of adding some calmag and using a nitrate based pH down or removing some more solution and replacing with nitrate pH downed tap water?

I don't have a RO device and use tap in reference to this thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=23357

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 21.58.36.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 21.49.40.jpg

Cheers.

Day 21

Day 21

Day 21

The most vigorous plant gained 10 cm of leaf span in the last 24 hrs.

Image_Day 21 1.jpg

These leaves are very green and have slight mottling, which might be an early signs of the rust spots from the previous days pics in last post.

Image_Day 21 4.jpg

There is some red hints in the leaf stems.

Image_Day 21 6.jpg

These two are backup plants and might be culled later.

Image_Day 21 7.jpg

I would like to know what is going on with the leaf on the righthand plant that is curling inwards.

Image_Day 21 8.jpg

Any help identifying what is going on would be a great and very appreciated, thanks.

These are all the feminised Dos Is Dos 33 from Barney's Farm

They’re still so young, I wouldn’t stress. How are the roots developing? As long as your root system is taking hold and looking healthy at this point I wouldn’t sweat anything.:tiphat:

Thanks for taking the time to help out PurplePotion.

The plants are looking fantastic other than the things I mentioned and growing well. The spots have not got any larger and the roots look healthy.

day 22 roots.jpg