What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ace Purple Satellite

Bleiweis

Veteran
SolarLogos

i also observed the same situation with most of my plants at the place where i topped them. I panicked a lot in the beginning when i thought those are "balls" but later on those "things" developed into small leaves.

My advice would be that you leave the plant growing. My bet would be that those are not balls.

therevverend

Veteran
So we've got three votes in, one that the pre-flowers are male and one that it's female. My vote is that there's a 90% chance it's male, 10% chance it's female. I'd be tempted to stick it in the 'Boy's Club'.

The Boy's Club is a collection of poor mis-begotten root bound plants slammed off on the edge of the woods far away from the main patch. Males don't need direct sunlight or large amounts of nutrients to flower. So the males and near-males get seperated from the females to prevent accidental pollination. They're usually a motley bunch because most of them are males, hempy, mediocre, scraggy from the lack of sunlight and love waiting to be culled because they aren't good breeders.

Last year I was watching a friend of mine shuttle plants back and forth between his main patch and Boy's Club. He'd dig through the top leaves, shake his head in frustration, then carry the plant back to his main patch. The next morning he'd examine it again, curse at it, and carry it back to Boy's Club. The last big plant he'd chosen turned out to be a male so he needed a last female to complete the patch. So he was praying an unlikely misfit from the Boy's Club would show female and complete his 15 legal number.

I'd help him, not very helpfully, shaking my head, knocking over unstable plants, and looking at the less and less likely to be female pre-flowers. He'd been maligning me because I'd told him he'd sex late, in July when most of his plants had shown earlier. Looking at plants you always learn something, I did help him narrow down the three best males by growth and smell. He had an (SFV OG x (Grape Ape x Bubblegum) that was special, amazing sweet grape wine smell for a male.

In the end I had to give him my last extra female, a Bubblegum that sexed late I'd allowed to become rootbound in a 3 gallon. Turned out great once he got it in it's hole, very frosty and bubblegum tasty.

This is the best website I've found, the best pictures of the differences between male and female pre-flowers. (I'm assuming linking to the site is okay, they do have a link to buy seeds but it's to Seedsman which advertises here)

https://www.growweedeasy.com/preflowers

I'd still be cautious, even the ones that look like balls are hard to identify 100%. You can see the difference though, the way the male flowers are segmented and round. The females are a certain shape even when they don't have pistils.

SolarLogos

How old is that plant SolarLogos?
Coming up on six weeks since it came out of the ground.

SolarLogos

i also observed the same situation with most of my plants at the place where i topped them. I panicked a lot in the beginning when i thought those are "balls" but later on those "things" developed into small leaves.

My advice would be that you leave the plant growing. My bet would be that those are not balls.
I agree with you. I'm not going to cull anything until I know 100%. I need to choose a male or two to chuck pollen. Restock seed, cross a few, like NEVHAZExPANAMAxPS and I would love to cross OTH into Honduran x panama, kind of get all the old school tastes together.

So we've got three votes in, one that the pre-flowers are male and one that it's female. My vote is that there's a 90% chance it's male, 10% chance it's female. I'd be tempted to stick it in the 'Boy's Club'.

The Boy's Club is a collection of poor mis-begotten root bound plants slammed off on the edge of the woods far away from the main patch. Males don't need direct sunlight or large amounts of nutrients to flower. So the males and near-males get seperated from the females to prevent accidental pollination. They're usually a motley bunch because most of them are males, hempy, mediocre, scraggy from the lack of sunlight and love waiting to be culled because they aren't good breeders.

Last year I was watching a friend of mine shuttle plants back and forth between his main patch and Boy's Club. He'd dig through the top leaves, shake his head in frustration, then carry the plant back to his main patch. The next morning he'd examine it again, curse at it, and carry it back to Boy's Club. The last big plant he'd chosen turned out to be a male so he needed a last female to complete the patch. So he was praying an unlikely misfit from the Boy's Club would show female and complete his 15 legal number.

I'd help him, not very helpfully, shaking my head, knocking over unstable plants, and looking at the less and less likely to be female pre-flowers. He'd been maligning me because I'd told him he'd sex late, in July when most of his plants had shown earlier. Looking at plants you always learn something, I did help him narrow down the three best males by growth and smell. He had an (SFV OG x (Grape Ape x Bubblegum) that was special, amazing sweet grape wine smell for a male.

In the end I had to give him my last extra female, a Bubblegum that sexed late I'd allowed to become rootbound in a 3 gallon. Turned out great once he got it in it's hole, very frosty and bubblegum tasty.

This is the best website I've found, the best pictures of the differences between male and female pre-flowers. (I'm assuming linking to the site is okay, they do have a link to buy seeds but it's to Seedsman which advertises here)

I'd still be cautious, even the ones that look like balls are hard to identify 100%. You can see the difference though, the way the male flowers are segmented and round. The females are a certain shape even when they don't have pistils.
It's frustrating not being able to see as well as I used to. I wish I could see more detail, especially to see if the ball is segmented. I'm still wondering if they're just a weird branch forming or something. Well, off to the boys club.

And thank you everyone that has commented on this. I especially appreciate all the information you have posted and PMed me my friend. I am always glad when something new like this comes along that I haven't seen before and if it helps someone else, well, that is why I'm here, for edification.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Close up pictures

Close up pictures

I looked at these through my 5X lenses and they look like a shoot that splits in two and something growing out of it. I decided to get a closer look under a microscope. Does this solve the mystery or deepen it? The right side:

Left side:

Peace, God bless

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
I've been having the same discussion with another poster, Ibechillin. This is his questionable pre-flower.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8553931&postcount=82
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8565353&postcount=93

It's got the stalk and is round, looks like the male flowers in the link I gave. He says since he took the picture the plant has gone full on female throwing pistils everywhere. No more weird primordia, definitely not male. I think the safe call with this sort of thing is to wait it out, save Boy's Club for June. Here's a link to his thread if anyone is interested. He's got some Autoflowers and cheesecakes doing strange stuff.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352271

All my Satellites are showing preflowers now, one looking very female. Probably get out the magnifying lens tomorrow when it's sunny. Hopefully early sexing is a trait of this strain, it'd make things much easier. Otherwise it's the same old, no branching, plants getting tall.

SolarLogos

I've been having the same discussion with another poster, Ibechillin. This is his questionable pre-flower.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8553931&postcount=82
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8565353&postcount=93

It's got the stalk and is round, looks like the male flowers in the link I gave. He says since he took the picture the plant has gone full on female throwing pistils everywhere. No more weird primordia, definitely not male. I think the safe call with this sort of thing is to wait it out, save Boy's Club for June. Here's a link to his thread if anyone is interested. He's got some Autoflowers and cheesecakes doing strange stuff.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352271

All my Satellites are showing preflowers now, one looking very female. Probably get out the magnifying lens tomorrow when it's sunny. Hopefully early sexing is a trait of this strain, it'd make things much easier. Otherwise it's the same old, no branching, plants getting tall.
I'm coming to the conclusion as well that those on my plant are not signs of being male. Thanks for all your input, this is something to put away into the experience vault.
I tell you, I am really fascinated by this plant; I'm loving them. No hairs that my eyes can see, but this preflower on the left is all dark purple. I would love to have buds where all of the calxyes were that color.

Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Male confirmation

Male confirmation

Ok, I'm going to say, this is a male pollen sac. I don't think any pistils will be coming out of this. What do you think? BTW, this is PS-4, not the same one posted earlier with the weird primordia. The nodes on both PS and OTH have been growing alternately, instead of across from each other for the past week.
I have one calyx on OTH3 throwing pistils. Pretty small, but I will try to get a better pic when it gets a little more mature. Here is the male PS

We are still just under 14.5 hours of sunlight per day. After plenty of warm temps in the 80's, we dropped into the mid 50's and 60's occasionally getting into the low 70's for the high for almost two weeks, with cold and overcast/rainy weather. I wonder if that had any influence or if this is normal for this time of year. Honduran x Panama is vegging along nicely, not showing anything yet, nor are they alternating nodes, so no sign of preflower stretch. For the most part, very compact and very symetrical. Very strong, vigorous genetics.
Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

Another preflower, but no hairs.

Loving these colors, very deep purples. Pretty sure I grew enough plants to hopefully ensure MalexFemale=more seeds, more fun crossing strains!
Peace, God bless

Hookahhead

The super close up shots of the "primordia" doesn't really help me much haha. In your two most recent pictures I would say the first is male and second is female. Obviously wait and see, I'm just getting my votes in while they still count :smoke:

Those purple stems on the PS are beautiful!

SolarLogos

The super close up shots of the "primordia" doesn't really help me much haha. In your two most recent pictures I would say the first is male and second is female. Obviously wait and see, I'm just getting my votes in while they still count :smoke:
Thanks Hookah. I'm right with you on the votes, so we will see how they turn out. I will keep us posted on the results.
Peace, God bless

Last edited:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Nice grows guys. I will be germinating seeds and starting my greenhouse grow this weekend.
Peace

SolarLogos

Nice grows guys. I will be germinating seeds and starting my greenhouse grow this weekend.
Peace
Good to see you again friend. Hope all is going well. I for one will be waiting to see those seeds of yours pop this year, always love your grows. Have a blessed season.
Peace, God bless

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Vermontman was calling the 79' Oaxacan the (Skull). To my knowledge it hasn't been released on it's own. Peace

SolarLogos

Clone Rooted

Clone Rooted

This is PS2, the first clone to root and oddly, the one with the weird primordia that we have been discussing. It took 10 days under dome.

Peace, God bless

SolarLogos

2 males, 3 females

2 males, 3 females

So things changed overnight. This morning, I was able to confirm the one from yesterday was male, typical claws. Incidentally, the one with the weird primordia is also a male, but not based upon the growth we observed earlier. He has claws now at the nodes.

Also, 3 of the plants have female preflowers at most of the nodes now. They popped up everywhere and some quite large. Still, no hairs, but certainly no claws.

The only two left that have not shown any sign of sexual growth at the nodes are the two smaller plants that have all solid purple stalk/branches/petioles. Their leaves are slightly narrower, but just as long as the others. My guess is they must lean towards the purple Oaxacan?

Same two closer up:

Peace, God bless

herbgreen

Veteran
Is the 79 oaxacan cherry bomb?

cherrybomb is a maui wowie late 70s from mr greengenes and now swami organic seeds sells it

The Oaxacan 79 in question is different one than Oaxacan 79 in 'mextiza' used by CBG and charlie garcia

QUOTE from vermontman breeder of Purple Satellite;

"My Oaxacan is a very quick to flower for a sativa. I got my strain in 1979 from bag weed simply called Mexican sisemilla. At that time we also were getting Acapulco gold, Guererro gold, Columbian red and gold, Vietnamese gold, Thai & Budda stick, Real Panama red, Jamaicans*
There was Mexican Swag but mostly all great landrace buds. Of coarse I tried to grow all of them when I lived near Boston. I was able to grow some medium grade Indica at that time that had time to flower. So like the others I planted the seeds of the Mexican*Sinsemilla*which we nick named Skull Fuck. Learning from High times Mag I seperated out the boys. I planted about 8 plants of this Mex behind the Indica in a good sized bed. Well to my surprise they towered over EVERYTHING!! by mid August they were showing very defined hairs that just pushes and pushed. By mid Oct the plants were about 8 ft tall with arm thick buds running the lengths of the branches. The smell was piney carrot hash mixed with crazy spice.*
The buds were so big upon harvesting we jokingly exclaimed these are not buds these are chickens! LOL*
This strain needs a three month veg to support good bud formation. so I grow fewer plants and finish last 5 weeks inside now that I am in a colder climate. Sorry for ramble. So in short about ten weeks."

SolarLogos

cherrybomb is a maui wowie late 70s from mr greengenes and now swami organic seeds sells it

The Oaxacan 79 in question is different one than Oaxacan 79 in 'mextiza' used by CBG and charlie garcia

QUOTE from vermontman breeder of Purple Satellite;

"My Oaxacan is a very quick to flower for a sativa. I got my strain in 1979 from bag weed simply called Mexican sisemilla. At that time we also were getting Acapulco gold, Guererro gold, Columbian red and gold, Vietnamese gold, Thai & Budda stick, Real Panama red, Jamaicans*
There was Mexican Swag but mostly all great landrace buds. Of coarse I tried to grow all of them when I lived near Boston. I was able to grow some medium grade Indica at that time that had time to flower. So like the others I planted the seeds of the Mexican*Sinsemilla*which we nick named Skull Fuck. Learning from High times Mag I seperated out the boys. I planted about 8 plants of this Mex behind the Indica in a good sized bed. Well to my surprise they towered over EVERYTHING!! by mid August they were showing very defined hairs that just pushes and pushed. By mid Oct the plants were about 8 ft tall with arm thick buds running the lengths of the branches. The smell was piney carrot hash mixed with crazy spice.*
The buds were so big upon harvesting we jokingly exclaimed these are not buds these are chickens! LOL*
This strain needs a three month veg to support good bud formation. so I grow fewer plants and finish last 5 weeks inside now that I am in a colder climate. Sorry for ramble. So in short about ten weeks."
Good information HerbG. I was also interested in the lineage, as I have two PS that I think lean way towards the purple 79 Oaxaca. Here is some more information as well, a bit long, but a good read:

This Highland Mexican line is absolutely unique to Green Mountain Seeds. This Oaxacan Gold is the corner stone and backbone to most of Vermontman's breeding work.

Vermontman's strain of Oaxacan Gold came in on a shipment through Marthas Vineyard one Kilo made it into the hands of a good dealer friend of mine in 1979.

This new Mexican Sinsemilla ran a hefty unheard of price of $200.00 an ounce. The bag of buds were amazing spears of barely seeded golden goodness, I was out of stash and I could not pass these up. Score!

Upon smoking my first joint I knew this was something amazingly special as it hit me right between the eyes and took me to another totally high, powerfully trippy place that led to incessant breathtaking laughter that went on for hours. We nick named her Skull F***.

I immediately called back my buddy, lets call him Dennis, and asked if he could pick out every seed he could find. He halfheartedly agreed, after all he was a stoner. This was in late winter, with spring right around the corner. These first Oaxaca Gold seeds were started under Florescent lights then moved out to make shift plastic tents to be hardened off. At this point in time the only cannabis available to me that would finish outdoors (20 miles north of Boston) was some no name Indica that was fairly early and not overly potent nor consistent, but made round leafy buds with some purple and would finish at about head height.

So last frost date finally arrived, I went fast to work amending my favorite spot between north and southbound lanes of I 95. With access off a clover leaf and through a culvert that ran a clear clean brook right under the north bound lane of the highway. Great under cover access and a steady supply of fresh water, though to make this passage I had to wade through shin deep, and sometimes cold water. I had to take off my shoes, just role up my pants and just get my feet wet. I switched to trash sneakers after banging my toes on rocks in frigid brook.
So in the middle of a giant patch of Chinese Knot weed, tucked atop a hill open to all day sunlight smack dab center of the interstate I tilled and spread 100 lb sacks of Manure compost and oat straw I hauled slung over my shoulder. In fact it laid me up with back pain for days.

My regular staple Indica got premier spot right up in the front of the newly tilled and amended patch. My new Mexican plants all female about eight Oaxacan which were already a bit taller, looking totally different in structure lined the back two rows of the garden staggered in a diamond pattern. With the light gold color of the oat straw mulch conserving moisture and reflecting up the precious early June sunshine to the newly planted Mexican ladies. Back at home the Oaxacan males took up residence in pots.

Owing most of what I knew about growing cannabis at this time to High Times Magazine on learning sexing and so on I powered on.

Summer went on and these thin leaved Oaxacan beauties towered bigger and bigger. With ample supply of water from the brook and heat from the steamy sunny summer days, and relative privacy from the north and south bound lanes of traffic. Tucked in through all the summers months.

As conditions started changing, with late summer light still beaming strong a baby food jar carrying half opened male flowers of the multiple potted boys from back home were brought in and methodically broken open one by one releasing pollen very carefully onto one each of the earlier tagged single long buds one each of the precious new ladies.

The days grew shorter, the air grew a little more brisk fall started setting in.The swollen calyx's steadily growing along with the density of the giant spears. By the end of Sept, the Indica ladies in the front of the garden were ready to come down.

But the slender leaved totally bushy now monster Oaxacan were thick with pistils in tight clusters that ran up the whole stem, at around 8 to 9 feet tall. Oct 7th came around, to an untrained eye the buds looked like they could be picked. But thank you again to High Times, I said not yet!

Heavy rains from a major tropical systems marching north slammed the patch with winds and heavy rain. The plants tied up with twine to the best of my ability to near by trees and tree branches cut and pushed into the earth like stakes, held them steady through their soaking. Though the massive arms of buds were left arching over under their own weight, and some of the main branches split and had to be mended with layers of twine wrapped around the main trunks to hold and mend themselves back together.

The soaking of the rains left them dripping and drooping, But no mold!

Then out came the sun again and the last of the promise of Fall warmth.

Over the next two weeks is where the magic really happened, the buds swelled like nothing I had ever seen before. Light to medium frosts hit, they seemed not at all negatively affected.

Now the third week in October the landscape all around turned autumn gold and red and the Chinese Knot weed now dropping the last of their yellowing leaves and the greener than green towering Oaxacans were losing their last bit of cover, time to act.

So under the cover of nights darkness and dimmed out glare of rush hour traffics lights end, I coined the phrase, Mid nite farmer. Bag after bag cut and stuffed, and that all to important one separate bag that held the one pollinated heavily seeded branch of each spectacular Oaxacan lady who saw her last moon lit night. While the air filled with the sweet knock out fragrance of fresh Balsam fir forest, fruit and of course victory, a successful harvest.

This is how this unique Oaxacan Gold line started with me on my life journey.

Mold Resistance: Very high {mind your nutes}
Fragrance: Definitely a low odor strain, but sticking your face into a sack full Oaxacan Gold makes you upon first whiff want to just climb into the bag and breath. Slight Balsam fir, hash, incense, slight fruit.

Potency: Powerful! Very high. Hits fast! First right between the eyes but in the most pleasurable way. Very motivational but you might forget what you were doing.
terrific for Socializing, but you might forget what you are saying which can lead to gut busting group Laughter.
Cerebral, reflective, great for hikes or gardening or just being in nature, my artist friend says it lends him well to falling into his painting.

Taste: Fast cure buds:
Very smooth lung expansive, have a bit of a pine, floral, very slight fruit very easy on your throat. I liken it to a really fine dry wine, very subtle not like the loudness of most of today's strains in taste but certainly keeps up in potency while remaining impeccably and definitively unique.
Taste: long cure
Like a fine wine, not to sweet, but also not void of sweetness..
Hits the Palate with creamy goodness, extremely reminiscent of classic old school Thai stick, loose Thai or Gold Buddha stick.

Culture: needs a longer veg time to carry massive weighty buds. Sensitive to heavy feeds of organic or synthetic Through selective breeding time has been shortened to end of Sept to first week Oct outdoors.

In shorter more northern or in mountainous regions finishes wonderfully in same time frame but exemplary results are realized when brought in and finished under red heavy LED or HID lights, best under LED.

After many years of culture an anomaly occurred, purple pigments started to show on the advent of switching to LED grow lights.

These traits were selected by using males with red stems and females with purple calyx to bring out a totally purple line with a slightly more blue green foliage and very wonderful purple calyx and buds upon finish. This expression became especially more pronounced when being grown under red heavy Led grow lights and is not temperature dependent with that development a slight more berry to the fragrance became endemic to the Oaxacan Gold Purple line. This Oaxacan gold strain now runs in two parallel lines one green one purple just only slightly different from each other but both as wonderfully consistent as clones but certainly each with their own merits.

https://en.**********.eu/strain-info/Highland_Oaxacan_Gold/Green_Mountain_Seeds/

Peace, God bless

Bleiweis

Veteran
Are you sure those are males? Look for clusters of "balls" not just one by one.
Wish you all the best.