What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

therevverend

Veteran
One of the first strains I had a lot of success with was Hashplant. It came from Mendocino, Booneville area, and was similar to Sensi's but no idea where it really came from. It was crossed with the local strains, everything that goes through there is, so there were some nice purple phenos. It hooked me into hashish and Hindu Kush types.

I've realized I've got several different Hashplants in the ground and it would be nice to have a single thread to compare them as they grow this summer.

If you're running a Hashplant of whatever type feel free to post pictures or talk or whatever. Hashplants count as either Indica strains, wide leaf varieties from Central Asia, used for traditional hashish making. Or plants from other parts of the world with a tradition of hashish production. Nepal, Lebanon, Morocco, Turkey, Pakistan, India, Iran, California, or wherever.

I don't expect these all to be landraces or pure strains. Many of mine are hybrids. But most of them have the wide leafed Afghan look with a couple exceptions.

Here's an exception. Real Seed Company's Sinai.

picture.php

picture.php

They're much less vigorous then the modern strains side by side. Thin sativa leaves. One is quite a bit bigger then the others. Don't use much water or nutrients.

Right next to them is another plant that looks similar but is more vigorous. Bet you'll never guess what it is.

picture.php

Original Afghani #1 from Seedsman seeds. You wouldn't guess what it is because the description describes something else. To quote the website description:

Genetics: Afghani No. 1
Variety: Pure Indica
Type: Pure-bred, true-breeding
Harvest Date: Mid-Late September
Flowering Period: 6-7 Weeks
No. of Seeds Per Packet: 10
Characteristics: Dense buds and copious resin.

Nothing Indica about that plant or her sisters. It irritates me when a breeder advertises an old strain, says it's something special, then sends you something completely different. When I grew Sensi's Hashplant same thing. Vigorous plant but not an Indica Hashplant. What's going on? I have a couple theories I'll talk about later.

One more picture for today. This is a strain from Mendocino, Grape Ape x Bubblegum. The plant I photographed is grown by a friend, posted with his permission.

picture.php

That's about as Indica as they come, some good breeders in Mendocino. I'm sure the Bubblegum is not the original Indiana Bubblegum. It's either been hybridized with Mendo strains or is a Mendo strain that smells like bubblegum. It's been around for many years.

The width of those leaves and color approaches Hindu Death Cabbage. I can guarantee the plant will end up colorful purple in the end.

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
Sensi hp was backcrossed as the clone off of their Northern Lights. So there are thai ancestors in sensi hash plant.

That's ok for me since pure indica such as afghan get rain here during flower and they can mold. Really good climate for hybrids done in 70 days or less.

therevverend

Veteran
Yeah Sensi's Hashplant has a bit of something else in it because there wasn't a male. But the old Hashplant I had was kind of like Sensi's, no idea if it was. The original Hashplant came from the PNW before it went to Europe, it could have been related to that. Because the breeder I got it from was from the PNW.
Or it could have been a Hashplant from another seed company. The G13 x 88 HP is a possibility? Or a Hindu Kush unrelated to Hashplant that had the Afghan look. Definitely had a euphoric crushing high.
Last summer I grew out an Old School Hashplant from Bodhi. Very similar but I didn't like the high. Gave me a bit of a headache. But good resin, the sandy kind different then the usual resin on hybrids. No mold and i'm in the PNW so mold is a problem. It did get affected by mildew although the buds were spared.

Easy7

Veteran
If it was PNW hash-plant, I have no idea on it's origins. Sensi g13 x hp is just theirs.

I'd expect to see more hash plant type plants being developed for concentrates. Any plant is a hash plant and old school hash plants were for hash in specific climates. I like some good old indica myself, it's that molds an issue. Afghan is nice and all, but I can smoke it like it's going out of style. So hybrids do a better job at more things, high, not molding, and stone.

There are some newer hash plants on the market. Bodhi's g13hp crosses, but also I think Barney's has a reg seed afghan hash plant from older afghani before soviet invasion. Not seen any grow reports but the picture looks nice (don't they usually?).

I think that one thing about a hash plant is larger glands. They make a softer hash that's stickier. Sativa hash can be quite hard. But damn, it can all be so good!

therevverend

Veteran
I agree. When I was trimming last winter it was remarkable how different the resin was from normal hybrids. Old School Hashplant clearly had much different resin. The clear winner was Pot of Gold Hashplant, heirloom strain from Mendocino. Every time I'd trim it my hands would be covered in sticky hashish even though I was careful handling it. When I finished I'd rub it into a ball, some of the finest chocolate brown hand rubbed I've ever smoked. Hardly had any resin on my hands trimming the hybrids.
Last week I smoked sifted Pot of Gold Hashplant resin. It had been pressed into a chocolate chunk, very old school. Delicious taste, psychedelic high. I'd start tripping myself out, then settle down and remember to be mellow. Started having epiphanies about stuff, insights into psychology and relationships.
The guy who made the hash says POGH has an extremely high bud to resin ratio. Not surprising. The buds are leafy by modern hybrid standards but dense and frosty.
As far as Hashplant boytritis, Deep Chunk is the worst I've seen. Losing plants in sunny July from stem mold. POGH had a little bit, mainly because I allowed it to get to bushy.
Bodhi's hashplant was good as I said earlier, mildew much worse then boytritis though there was some stem rot. I also had Bodhi's Dank Zappa, '87 UW Black Hashplant x 88 Sensi HP x G13. One plant had some bad stem rot, the other was mold free. Overall I was surprised how little mold there was. Mostly it was on stems, left the buds alone. As usual it was the very biggest buds that were affected, small buds were mold free.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Sensi hp was backcrossed as the clone off of their Northern Lights. So there are thai ancestors in sensi hash plant.
IIRC, The Hash Plant clone was crossed with a NL#1 male and it was supposed to be a pure Afghani.

Also the sativa in NL5 was actually a Hawaiian, not Thai. There was a mix-up with labeling or Nevil remembered it wrong and he has admited on MNS forum it's possible he got it wrong.

Check out this post in which the creator of the NL lines, NL Seattle Greg, reveals what's in them
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7172832&postcount=69
:)

Easy7

Veteran
I doubt the sativa indian used was hawwaiian although suppose it could of been. Lways heard the indian worked thai and afghan for mold resitence. After all it could of been hawwaiian but what was the hawaiian?

therevverend

Veteran
Ha ha in that link it says Steve Murphy at the Indoor Sun Shoppe's Afghani was the Indica part of Northern Lights. I bought my first grow light from that guy when I was 19. When he sold it to me he said, "Go forth and grow my son."

therevverend

Veteran
Time to trot out the strains that people think of as Hashplants. First off is Pot of Gold Hashplant. Not related to the Flying Dutchman strain. Comes from Mendocino most of the seeds were lost in the wildfires last summer. Luckily I had a few. Hopefully I'll be able to resurrect the strain. It may be a tiny bit hybridized from all the pollen whizzing around Mendo every summer but I don't see it.

picture.php

picture.php

I posted quite a few pics of her last summer. Here's a small one. She's less then a foot tall.

picture.php

Notice the close spacing between nodes. It's a way to identify an Afghan as opposed to a hybrid. POGH gets extremely bushy with the close nodes and branches that push up against each other.
Here's probably my favorite Bodhi offering. Lemon Hashplant. Lemon G x 88G13/HP. I lean towards Bodhi's 88G13/HPs because they flower earlier then his other crosses. Which is essential where I live. Lemon Hashplant has size, yield, vigor, a delightful lemon smell and a strong stone.

picture.php

I'll end this for today with a pic of Dank Zappa, another one of Bodhi's. '86 UW Black Hashplant × '88 G13/HP.

picture.php

Once again short node spacing and wide leaves. Impressive for outdoors.

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I doubt the sativa indian used was hawwaiian although suppose it could of been. Lways heard the indian worked thai and afghan for mold resitence. After all it could of been hawwaiian but what was the hawaiian?

G `day E7

The Indian was not in the NL Crew .
He was helped out by them . Nevil met the Indian while trying to source more NL in the PMW. The NL guys had gone to ground and weren`t communicating .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I'm not a huge indica fan but that UW is sumthin special.... that dank Zappa got a UW look to her.... I got some ndn beans I been holding and keep putting off cuz I had other projects goin n old beans need full attention. but now that things are finishing up n do to there age they are next in line...

therevverend

Veteran
I'm excited about the Dank Zappa this year. Last year I only sprouted two, one was getting big but it got stem rot in mid June and I lost 3/4 of the plant. It turned out to be male which was a relief but disappointing that it showed mold susceptibility. Might have been a male keeper if it wasn't for the problem.
The other one had 'runt syndrome', started in the 2nd batch and fell a little behind. So it always had 2nd best of everything. Root bound in partial shade until it showed female. During a storm a big plant fell on it.
Basically everything went wrong with it that could and it still produced great smoke. This year I decided to give it special treatment seems to be kicking ass. To early to tell but I'm excited to find out.
In the late 80s early 90s some of the best ganja ever was UW pot. There were several different strains they were all super potent and highly sought after.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Nice thread man. I just put a Deep Chunk outside at 45 north. Maybe not quite far north as you, but I'm up there, lol. Thanks for the info on Deep Chunk, I will take extra precautions to try and keep her free from mold/rot. I'll be back with pics when I can get some.

therevverend

Veteran
Can't write about hashplants without mentioning the sativa complex that's infected the cannabis scene here. 'Sativa' has become code for something for cannabis users. It means you aren't one of the unwashed ignorant masses mindlessly consuming narcotics. You're hip, you're 'in the know', you're cool.
I'll meet a friend of mine's kid, 22 years old, start pulling out my stash to smoke a bowl. He'll give me a little knowing nudge or wink, touch his nose or something, and say that he prefers sativas. Of course he prefers the ones over 25% THC. So I'll make a show of rifling through my containers, pull out something kinda leafy (anything dense and he shakes his head disgustedly) and say 'yeah this is Sativa'. Then he says something like, 'I'll be up all night DANCING with this stuff.' And so it goes.
People talk about it like it's MDMA or Afri cola or something it's getting weird. I went to the dispensary and they only had one grower with true sativas (Kiona) which the budtender claimed were landrace (they weren't) to give it that extra -wink-wink-cool. The guy began arguing with me when I brought up hermaphrodites, he thought only Autoflowers were hermaphrodites so...
I think the dispensary budtenders are responsible for it. But of course the strains the budtenders think are sativas are hybrids. New Kali Mist is one. I grew (the newer version) KM in the Pacific Northwest and it finished in the 2nd week of October. I was disappointed. Decent but disappointing high. If I can grow it outdoors it ain't a sativa except for a few (Sinai) exceptions. I think the budtenders want to be hip and smoke dope all day. But they don't want to get REALLY baked because they're at work.
All commercially grown pot (with a few notable exceptions) is hybrid. Characterized by high THC levels, no CBD or THCV. Mostly the same 6 or 7 terpenes over and over. None are sativa dominate because they'd take more then 10 weeks to flower and the state and consumers have turned it into a quick turn over money game.
25 years ago there where still good sativa indoor growers. My friends and I remember growing from random bag seed and always coming up with several excellent sativas, some purple. Taking 12-15 weeks to flower along with the Indica dominate bag seed 10 weeks or less. Those days ended a long time ago.
I've seen plenty of Indica I didn't like. Usually hydro mass produced, muddy high muddy head. Boring stone. I want the mud honey...
I was reminded of my usual reaction to sativas when I was hanging out with an old grower friend. I wanted to see his reaction to smoking Nigerian Haze. Beautifully grown and cured, 20% THC, very nice. We smoked a joint. Got high and laughed a bit.
Half an hour later we were rolling a joint of Grape Ape x Bubblegum. He has chronic neck pain. As soon as he took a couple hits he said, 'NOW I'm high.' It wasn't that the Nigerian Haze didn't get him high. It wore off very quickly and didn't relax his body so he could forget his neck pain.
It brought me back, how I used to react when I smoked every day. I'd get up in the morning and take a few bong hits of the strongest Purple Kush along with a cup of coffee.
Sativas are nice, pretty flowers, taste good, nice cerebral high. But...
I want to be locked to the couch, not because I'm tired and sleepy, but because I'm scared to go outside. I smoked Pot of Gold Hashplant hashish a couple weeks ago, had that kind of effect. Started having insights into the psychology of the people around me. The trees started glowing and moving from side to side. I was suppose to go to the hardware store but was too scared to get in the car. Every few minutes my mind state would start to devolve into panic. Then I'd center myself, feel all warm inside, then the cycle would begin again.
Of course there's a great thread about that effect from real Sativas here, The search for Trip Weed. I can't usually grow sativas and they're not what I grew into cannabis smoking with. I've experienced real tropical sativas, but not very often. Usually my experience has been 'That was nice, now let's get REALLY baked.'

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Curious on the Sinai. I have the seeds and they seemed to be the most interesting of the bunch of Real Seeds. Out in the middle of the desert bedouins, that is like on another planet. I know they seem to not care for the plants too well, but still it is exotic.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't write about hashplants without mentioning the sativa complex that's infected the cannabis scene here. 'Sativa' has become code for something for cannabis users. It means you aren't one of the unwashed ignorant masses mindlessly consuming narcotics. You're hip, you're 'in the know', you're cool.

Yeah man. It's like Windows and Mac where Indica friends are the mean Windows user and Sativa people are the illuminated Apple owners, lol.

therevverend

Veteran
What brought on the rant, I was looking at the thread about Anthony Bourdain dying. Somebody was saying they saw him on his show in Amersterdam smoking pot. He said he liked the Cat Piss strain. So the guy said he's probably The Kind of Guy Who Likes Sativas.
What the fuck does that mean? Fucking Cat Piss? A sativa? When I smell ammonia piss pot it's always a particularly foul Indica. I'm guessing he got the idea from one of the sites the bud tenders all look at, something like Leafly.
To me it's perfectly obvious why Bourdain said he liked Cat Piss. He was a nasty punk mother fucker. If given the choice between strains called buttercup love sweet rainbows and cat piss 100% of the time he'll go with cat piss. God Bless his soul he was a great man.

therevverend

Veteran
That's interesting, I had a Royal Kush last summer that had a bit of lemon mixed with an overwhelming piss aroma. Gross stuff, I didn't want anything to do with it.
The Super Silver Haze I've seen wasn't cat pissy at all, clean floral notes along with some hashyness. But I'd say the same thing about Royal Kush until it came up cat piss. With hybrids you hit the right note and you never know what you're going to get.
What I find interesting is that someone would select for that. Let's grow dirty sock cat piss bud. I understand about hashplants that smell like shit, those are wonderfully potent. I can't imagine cat piss haze winning any blue ribbons.

therevverend

Veteran
I'd better quickly backtrack here or else the legions of sativa guys will show up at my door with pitchforks and torches. Does anyone show up on a forum anywhere proudly proclaiming himself as an Indica guy? I've never seen it. I'm sure he drags his hairy knuckles on the ground and has a mono-brow.
To prove I'm not The Indica Guy here's a shot of my Mextiza. We'll call it 1/4 Hashplant, the Nepali part. Otherwise it's half Mexican, 1/4 Jamaican.

picture.php

I'm glad the sun was out for the picture, the lovely silver aura came through nicely. It's much stronger on a hot 80 degree F day. It's the only plant that does that.
Recently I was inspecting a friend of mine's outdoor plants, in the bright sunlight they all had a weird blue glow. He had a long story about the first time he saw it, years ago. At first he thought it was cool, a Krishna type thing. Then he did some reading and realized it was a potassium deficiency. It's very strange to see almost like a mirage.
I like to identify and record plant structure. The Mextiza already has a tall upright plant structure.

picture.php

The short branches growing straight up are a sure sign.

Here's another Sativa looking thing. It's not a hashplant, but my thread, I can do what I want.

picture.php

To me that's typical hybrid leaves, not tropical sativa but what passes for sativa in the Rec Shops. The strain is Royal Kush sourced from Fort Bragg. It has been hybridized with local Mendocino heirloom types. Hard to say exactly what, maybe some diesel back down the line. Has definite lemon notes. Very frosty, good mold resistance.
If you ask a budtender (I've been hard on the poor bud tenders lately-but fuck those guys-I actually tend buds-they tend some rich guy's shop-they're shop tenders) he'll say this is a hard hitting Indica but I'd disagree. Very nice stone, very California and very Mendocino. So many of these strains are just California, not sativa or Indica.
People see the world binary, on off right wrong up down. They don't realize there's more then one switch, a clutch if you will. Or many clutches. Nothing is simple. It's why humans have so many disagreements about so many issues. It's not soil/hydro. It's soil organic, hydro organic. Or chemie. Hydro, soil, plus medium. Soil plus nutrients. Sativa plus something. Indica plus something. I hope you, dear reader, are stoned enough to understand what I'm getting at.
I'd better quit for today, I've been getting much too silly lately. Maybe Bourdain's death has shaken the hand of the Great Bud Tender in the Sky-and my mind with it. I'll end with a pic of the Bubblegum x Bubblegum. The Bubblegum in the Grape Ape x Bubblegum. Remember how death cabbage some of the GA x BG looked? This is the daughter of the bubblegum in the mix crossed with itself. Notice how hybrid it looks in comparison.

picture.php

The branches to me look huge bushy as opposed to tall upright like the Mextiza. I expect the lower ones to grow long and almost touch the ground.

Latest posts

Latest posts