What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone notice how slow forums became?

Hubbleman

Veteran
I dont mean slow loading, i mean lack of participation, nothings happening for hours, then 1 reply to one thread.

Remember Overgrow? Youd make a thread and within 10 minutes thered be 20 replies

thailer

i'm sorta venting about something similar elsewhere. that all the older members have left or they don't post often. the only ones that do post are newer members want their hand held and reassurance. its just not the same anymore. tell someone they need to read more and they cry, get upset posting a bunch, then the other new people will surround them pandering to all this. someone else i told to come over because they thought it was slow said its a bunch of whiners so yeah there are more posts but quality is down the toilet.

:shucks:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Overgrow (RIP) had plenty of regular down/slow times, especially on the weekends/holidays, especially during Summer. :)

Honestly when you sort by new it's only 10% cannabis related. The rest is just insane people and their bizarre political opinions...

rolandomota

Yes rants and no pics oops I'm guilty that's why I'm seriously thinking I should stfu and only post about weed so 20 years from now I can look back and say I didn't waste my time here

T

TakenByTheSky

Blame instagram, the home of instant gratification and internet nut swinging. I also blame outdated forum platforms that failed to capture the interest of newer and younger growers.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Plus it's legal now in a lot of places. Cannabis culture has changed for better or for worse, but it's mainstream. A forum dedicated to growing weed will be like any niche forum, while social media will cover the large bulk of posts. Personally I made it about a week on instagram before I deleted my account because I felt stupider just reading their posts. If you want instant responses from a knowledgeable person, they have consultants for that now. I know for me the days of the public forum might be winding down, this is the only one I frequent with any regularity to be honest. But I'll keep coming back as long as there is quality posts and people.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I spent most of my days on three forums.
Knife making, Pontiac Fiero, and here.

Old and retired, arthritis ended knife work, reflexes ended crazy driving, but the photo threads here kept me even though my garden retired a couple years ago.
Coincident with legalization.

But I post so much less now. It is difficult to take the hateful speech seriously at a site dedicated to getting high.

Without that true vitriol directed with belligerent hate we will never compete with the pure social sites.

So I stay and sometimes when a post of deliberate falsehoods and attacks get through to me?
Why, I get up and have another hit and all is well and I snicker at the idiot.
Beats the heck out of stressing the dumb stuff.

Less but friendlier, let that be our motto.

troutman

Seed Whore
I dont mean slow loading, i mean lack of participation, nothings happening for hours, then 1 reply to one thread.

Remember Overgrow? Youd make a thread and within 10 minutes thered be 20 replies

People are busy in the Fall with harvesting, school,etc. :tiphat:

bushed

i'm sorta venting about something similar elsewhere. that all the older members have left or they don't post often. the only ones that do post are newer members want their hand held and reassurance. its just not the same anymore. tell someone they need to read more and they cry, get upset posting a bunch, then the other new people will surround them pandering to all this. someone else i told to come over because they thought it was slow said its a bunch of whiners so yeah there are more posts but quality is down the toilet.

:shucks:

Haha got to see the humour in someone complaining about people engaging with each other in a thread about how slow the forum is. And whining about how people are whining.

Perhaps try and be nice and share wisdom with the new members looking for conversation about our favourite hobby and then some of them might stick around.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Simple - if you want a busier forum - make more threads - discuss more - share more - as I see you are doing with this thread - by discussing how slow the forum might be - you are actually making it faster - and if that is your want - well done -

- Whether slow in the harvest and flowering seasons - or a bit faster after Christmas - ICMAG will still be here - for all of your highs and lows -

PDX Dopesmoker

I had this weird plant this summer that I don't really know what to think about. I'm pretty sure it was an autoflower, but it didn't behave like the rest of my autos do. This one showed it's first pistils around when the 5th node starts to grow out, which was normal, but then instead of going straight into flowering it continued to veg for another month or so, it was growing out pistils at the nodes the whole month, but not starting to make buds. I have no idea what happened or why or if I'd want to do it again, all the rest of my autos all behave the same pretty much, they start flowering at the 5th node and are harvestable 2 months later. This one was started at the beginning of April and just got done, I'd have put it in a bigger container if I'd know it was going to be a full season plant.
Anyone here have any idea wtf happened?
FdGjXjn.png

R4qNCS7.jpg

bushed

I have no experience with this personally I've noticed a trend in companies offering fast or semi automatic versions of strains. Sounds plausible that you got something like this.

romanoweed

it could be cause you placed her in shady Place? i have a Hoabc x Vietblack , 14 weeker , she showed pistils in Juli, they died off kind of. Now in September she finally starts to bud abit like her sisters. Stands close to a shady tree

H G Griffin

Unless you can clearly define that term, it has no meaning.

To some, being nice means answering a question honestly, even if it isn't what the listener wants to hear. For some, it means never doing anything but blowing sunshine, even if the listener could benefit from a kick in the tail.

For example, pandering to lazy people who want their hand held may be "nice" for some, but to me it seems like rewarding and reinforcing behaviour that should not be rewarded. Personally, I feel if a person won't put in any effort on their own behalf, why should anybody else donate their time?

Im'One

Unless you can clearly define that term, it has no meaning.

To some, being nice means answering a question honestly, even if it isn't what the listener wants to hear. For some, it means never doing anything but blowing sunshine, even if the listener could benefit from a kick in the tail.

For example, pandering to lazy people who want their hand held may be "nice" for some, but to me it seems like rewarding and reinforcing behaviour that should not be rewarded. Personally, I feel if a person won't put in any effort on their own behalf, why should anybody else donate their time?

Sounds like you forgot what it was like to be a beginner. I have spent a lot of time here and am spending more time over at the new OVERGROW. There has been a decline in attitude here towards newbies and political posts are getting out of hand.
Lots of older growers are here but they are beginning to leave because it is too toxic and angry.

Hubbleman

Veteran
Yea just noticed theres new overgrow.

Its a different site with the same name. Very different to original OG