What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bloom!!!

Azeotrope

Veteran
there's an article from skunk magazine titled stunning cannabis flowers: chitin, sulfur, and silicone

I know bananas have sulfur and I think even unsulfured molasses might contain some naturally and not from treating the sugar cane

Absolutely! Sulfur is critical! Resin/terpene production. I use langbeinite for Sulfur/Mag/K.

I add a silicon source. Cattails in the worm bin or compost pile will bring silicon. There is a mineral/mined product i use as well.

My worm bins get Dungeness crab and shrimp shells. The soil mix gets crab/lobster meal. They bring the chitin.

Manganese is often overlooked. So is boron.

Azomite adds most of the stuff like manganese and boron. Fe - Iron is also critical to a point.

I'm maybe 3-4 weeks away from going into flower. I'm trying to get some monster LST plants. also i started 3 of the 9 like two weeks after the main plants. and than i have two that were started like another 4 weeks after that, but i didn't LST them, so they're right on par. What I did was take a large amount of fish bone meal and mixed it with equal parts of a gypsum/humic acid mix. Than I added a decent bit of kelp, karanja, humic acid, agsil, and than a tiny bit of a Zn/Cu/Mo/B/Mn/humic acid mix I got off BuildASoil. Than today I foliared in MnSO4 and KSO4. I don't have any ferments currently, or I would add some as well, but I may just get some molasses at the store later. Or water in some organic apple juice from sprouts that actually has a decent amount of sugar. Or water in some kombucha.

I may do this once more before flower, and I will start to use humic with every watering in the next couple of days to really get that stuff breaking down.

Azeotrope

Veteran
What part of the cat tails do you use azetrope?

I use the tops and the stalks. I don't want to encourage anyone to go out and act irresponsibly towards wetlands but, a few from an area free of pollutants is of benefit.

Corn cobs have a decent amount of silica as well.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Corm cobs take a long time to get used up i was wondering about the fluff in the cat tails taking a while as well...

Yes, corn cobs do take some time. A healthy and vigorous worm population will handle them well if they are chopped/broken up.

Cattail tops take time as well. The stalks and leaves make great mulch that will break down over time and add nutrient value. They also add durable fiber for good soil texture.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Do you use bins for your worms, or do you use an outdoor bin for worms?

Do you grow in beds outdoor?

I keep my worm bins indoors. For growing I use living beds indoors (full of worms) that go a harvest or two and then are sent to the garage with organic timothy hay as a mulch. I let the worms work on them and feed them kelp meal, veggie scraps, llama and rabbit manure, azomite, and the ground up stems from previous harvests. After a few months, I might add some langbeinite, more manure, organic alfalfa meal and such and bring them back in for another round. I also add more castings. I feed the worms in the bin while growing. Celery and coriander/cilantro. From time to time I add a little pumice, hardwood charcoal, and maybe some coco fiber between grows.

Charred egg shells, birch leaves, crab/shrimp shells, raw fish scraps, cattails, and ........ whatever else comes through the kitchen and is not eaten. No red meat/chicken/pork.

The dedicated worm bins process the same kind of inputs and provide fresh castings to add in or top dress as needed.

I only water, feed the worms, and top dress a little while growing, a little molasses (rarely), some Bloom City Klean Kelp as well.

Really random and easy. Very productive!

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Gypsum, calcium sulfate, is another source of sulfur.

Dank Frank has a soil recipe that uses elemental sulfur if I’m not mistaken.

LizardMan

Do you ever use epsom salt for the magnesium and sulfur for boom? Or do you try to keep that away as so it doesn't build up in the soil?

Azeotrope

Veteran
I use landbeinite (sul-po-mag). In the mix/top-dressing and with all of the other inputs, there is always plenty.

I really like to just let the biology balance stuff out. If there is a diverse and steady feed of the bio, then I never see a deficiency.

Azeotrope

Veteran
It seems to me that when we try and force levels of certain nutes in organics, we cause trouble. Crab/lobster/shrimp/crawfish shells all bring in magnesium and calcium. Sulfur is all over the place with a diverse input feed. Worm bin gets measured amounts of citrus peels, onions skins/scraps, old organic yogurt, some bread scraps, cooked lefr over rice. The little buggers LOVE rice and pumkin. Pumpkin seeds are also a great add.

I avoid urea N sources when I can.

NPK - is misleading. That measures what is readily available.

LizardMan

Sorry for asking so many questions Azeotrope, id prefer to wonder what others do then to narrow mind my self and habits...

I have several worm bins my self that get almost everything from my food scrapes usually a good variety of inputs every week. I've actually never put rice, bread or citrus in my bins but many other fruits tho

i also grow organic and never try to push the plants to hard since the girls like it that way and it seems to usually produce healthy plants.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Sorry for asking so many questions Azeotrope, id prefer to wonder what others do then to narrow mind my self and habits...

I have several worm bins my self that get almost everything from my food scrapes usually a good variety of inputs every week. I've actually never put rice, bread or citrus in my bins but many other fruits tho

i also grow organic and never try to push the plants to hard since the girls like it that way and it seems to usually produce healthy plants.

I love the questions. It makes me think through my process and read about others. Sounds like you have it dialed in. Think we have a similar take on what the girls like.

Best wishes

h.h.

Veteran
Do you ever use epsom salt for the magnesium and sulfur for boom? Or do you try to keep that away as so it doesn't build up in the soil?

Epsom salt won’t stay in the soil. It’s a quick “fix” that doesn’t last.
It’s what happens when sulfur is added. The sulfur will unlock the magnesium that’s already in your soil making it available to the plant while helping to rid of any excess through the leaching process.
Of course all that’s overthinking it. Trying to control too much that doesn’t necessarily need to be controlled. Too much work.

Latest posts

Latest posts