What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How big are your holes?

Treevly

For y'all outside types who have to hike in your stuff, how big are your holes, surface and depth? Do you prefer wide, or deep, or what? Do you get big enough results?
Thanks

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
For y'all outside types who have to hike in your stuff, how big are your holes, surface and depth? Do you prefer wide, or deep, or what? Do you get big enough results?
Thanks
Stop chasing the rainbow grass hopper! In other words, it is alright to plan, but, plan towards that plan. If you need to reevaluate, that's cool. But own the plan!

The grow curve is as steep as you wish/want it to be. I will not spoon feed you, because of what we have seen here would be nothing more than blowing sunshine up you butt!

budsnblunts

Veteran
I go about a metro and a half wide by about a metre deep. Or at least until i can dig out out a foot or so of clay. I then cycle the top soil to the bottom with lime and bring the clay to the top soil level with remainder leaves and organics mixed in with more lime.. thats just using the native soil and the plants grow pretty well.. two metre plus

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
18 - 24 inches is plenty deep , bigger around the better ... get some gypsum in that hole

Treevly

Thanks for the civilized replies. Very helpful.

Babbabud: I have not used gypsum, although it is in the base mix I will use next spring. Why do you like it? (Yes, I've surfed it.....)
Thanks

T

Teddybrae

Much depends on drainage of the ground yr thinking of digging in. In my experience Cannabis will grow satisfactorily in soil 6 inches deep if it is well drained. Check yr drainage. Bad drainage ... make piles, not holes, then Mulch the piles.

Treevly

Much depends on drainage of the ground yr thinking of digging in. In my experience Cannabis will grow satisfactorily in soil 6 inches deep if it is well drained. Check yr drainage. Bad drainage ... make piles, not holes, then Mulch the piles.

Agricultural laboratories which test soil samples for analysis ask for samples from only the first six inches of dirt; below that, they don't care about.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Currently about 65litres per hole, 18" deep. I'm working in mostly rock with little to no native soil. This is the first season at this site and plan to keep making the holes bigger each year... But it's tough work with a mini pick... I think I would have ran into problems had I not had late start due to rippers early on.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Eggy, you won't have to go any deeper..
Let's see, 65 liters is about 17 gallons...(converted to fit my brain)

Work on making those holes wider..
My holes are currently about 60 to 66 inches wide and are 16 to 18 inches deep...

look at my "2020 outdoors" album to see what I'm growing in them..

best of luck.!!

Treevly

Currently about 65litres per hole, 18" deep. I'm working in mostly rock with little to no native soil. This is the first season at this site and plan to keep making the holes bigger each year... But it's tough work with a mini pick... I think I would have ran into problems had I not had late start due to rippers early on.

65 litres? If anyone finds out about your gig, you'll probably have to get a mining permit.

Treevly

I go about a metro and a half wide by about a metre deep. Or at least until i can dig out out a foot or so of clay. I then cycle the top soil to the bottom with lime and bring the clay to the top soil level with remainder leaves and organics mixed in with more lime.. thats just using the native soil and the plants grow pretty well.. two metre plus

To clarify: do you mean that you put in no dirt, peat/fluff, or other major fill other than what is on site?

Big Eggy

Veteran
65 litres? If anyone finds out about your gig, you'll probably have to get a mining permit.

I live in a place were old mines are all over the place.. you seriously have to be careful were you dig out in the cure. I'd have to ask the Prince of Wales for a permit as he hold the mineral rights to most of the land round here lol.