Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Pheno hunt in a 30 gal. No till?

Thread Title Search
Pheno hunt in a 30 gal. No till? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-20-2020, 10:33 AM #1
Holderchert

Holderchert has a spectacular aura aboutHolderchert has a spectacular aura aboutHolderchert has a spectacular aura about
Pheno hunt in a 30 gal. No till?

Hello all,

Forgive me please if this seems redundant, I'm very new to the forum and haven't had any luck with the search engine. Also still quite a no till greenhorn.

For my next grow I was hoping to do some pheno hunting with some landrace seeds I've aquired. I'm wondering how this would work out in a 30 gal. no till fabric pot? I've seen a few people ( here:https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=357140 is one example, where member Land is doing exceptional work) doing pheno hunts small scale in one or half gallon containers to keep the plants small and manageable. I have limited space and have no where to store my no till pot so I'm hoping I can just plant around 6-8 plants (tight, I know) in there without too much issue.

Would the close quarters cause any detrimental issues (competition, etc.)? Any opinions and advice would be very appreciated...This forum is incredible, I look forward to spending more time here.

Take it easy,
HC
Holderchert is offline Quote

Old 07-20-2020, 03:39 PM #2
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holderchert View Post
For my next grow I was hoping to do some pheno hunting with some landrace seeds I've aquired. I'm wondering how this would work out in a 30 gal. no till fabric pot?

that's a big pot.

make it 7 plants, 1 in the center and 6 around it, and you create sort of a honeycomb outline.

anyway they would have good root space unless 1 of them Supergrows and crowds the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1lY5jFNcQ

The "Debate".
St. Phatty is online now Quote

Old 07-20-2020, 11:33 PM #3
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
I must admit to ignorance of the term phenol hunt but that number of plants should do fine in that volume. Knowing the diameter would be helpful..

No-till really has more to do with subsequent plantings.

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
The thing which man is most sure of, is man's greatest mystery.....gravity.
Microbeman is offline Quote

Old 07-21-2020, 02:14 AM #4
Holderchert

Holderchert has a spectacular aura aboutHolderchert has a spectacular aura aboutHolderchert has a spectacular aura about
St. Phatty: It is. It takes up an entire 2x2.5, but much smaller than many of the no till grows I've seen around online. I think the minimum effective pot size for no till is 10 gal. Many people work with 100 gal+.

Microbeman: Sorry, pheno refers to phenotype. It's the physical expression of a plants genetics. As in bud size, color smell, plant growth speed and height etc. The seeds I'm working with are very genetically diverse so some will not be worth going to seed with. The pot is ~24" in diameter and 16" deep.

So I guess my main concern is that they would compete for root space. I've read on one blog that this may not be the case. Here is the link:

https://www.kisorganics.com/blogs/news/plant-growth-comparison-of-cannabis-sativa

Do you guys, or anyone else, have personal experience growing a few (maybe 7) plants together in a small space?

Much appreciated,

HC

Old 07-21-2020, 07:53 PM #5
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Quote:
St. Phatty: It is. It takes up an entire 2x2.5, but much smaller than many of the no till grows I've seen around online. I think the minimum effective pot size for no till is 10 gal. Many people work with 100 gal+.

Microbeman: Sorry, pheno refers to phenotype. It's the physical expression of a plants genetics. As in bud size, color smell, plant growth speed and height etc. The seeds I'm working with are very genetically diverse so some will not be worth going to seed with. The pot is ~24" in diameter and 16" deep.

So I guess my main concern is that they would compete for root space. I've read on one blog that this may not be the case. Here is the link:

https://www.kisorganics.com/blogs/ne...annabis-sativa

Do you guys, or anyone else, have personal experience growing a few (maybe 7) plants together in a small space?

Much appreciated,

HC
I know what pheno refers to but not the term pheno hunt.
I invented notil indoor putting plants proximally planted.

Depending on your purpose so far as plant size, photoperiod etc. you can plant them equally spaced successfully.
As I said notil is more about subsequent planting.

If you plant to eliminate some undesirables and get seeds from one, no problem

What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:22 PM #6
Holderchert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbeman View Post
I know what pheno refers to but not the term pheno hunt.
I invented notil indoor putting plants proximally planted.

Depending on your purpose so far as plant size, photoperiod etc. you can plant them equally spaced successfully.
As I said notil is more about subsequent planting.

If you plant to eliminate some undesirables and get seeds from one, no problem

View Image
Oh I see, my apologies. I wasn't aware I was talking to the inventor himself. How did those shelves work out for flowering?

That is correct, no till isn't very related to my question, but I thought it might help explain why I'm using a 30 gallon pot indoors haha.

Thank you Microbeman, I will keep that in mind.

Best,
HC

Old 07-22-2020, 01:38 AM #7
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Quote:
Oh I see, my apologies. I wasn't aware I was talking to the inventor himself. How did those shelves work out for flowering?

That is correct, no till isn't very related to my question, but I thought it might help explain why I'm using a 30 gallon pot indoors haha.

Thank you Microbeman, I will keep that in mind.

Best,
HC
It was half tongue in cheek but it is almost true except 3 little birds posted about it before I. Those are not shelves but bins which are 14 inches deep. We ran the same soil for 5 years and harvested about 4.5 pounds every 60-64 days per room; 5 rooms average.

What do you do, sir?"
~John Maynard Keynes~

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:15 PM #8
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
I've known knowledgeable growers who claimed they could do an effective pheno hunt just planting 4 plants. - in Mendo.

And another who usually planted 100. - in BC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW1lY5jFNcQ

The "Debate".
St. Phatty is online now Quote

Old 07-24-2020, 01:17 AM #9
Rico Swazi

Rico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud ofRico Swazi has much to be proud of
Not indoors , but I did 50 seeds with friends outdoors in July 2018.
25 Jack Herer seeds in each 35 gal tub July 18th pic (47 popped)
Approx. 2 inch spacing in rows with peas to promote bacterial and fungal associations (MNs)

four of us got together and chose 3 'best of' to take cuts from. One top contender was disqualified for drooping at night shown in last pic taken Aug 8th. Our goal was to select for fastest flowering and hardiest among competition. Plants were culled shortly after not wanting to chance a late hermie

How many landrace seeds we talking and what are your goals HC?

I adhere to the principles of low input sustainable agriculture
Here to share my efforts to grow food and medicine
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362619
And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Rico Swazi is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:21 AM #10
Holderchert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Swazi View Post
Not indoors , but I did 50 seeds with friends outdoors in July 2018.
25 Jack Herer seeds in each 35 gal tub July 18th pic (47 popped)
Approx. 2 inch spacing in rows with peas to promote bacterial and fungal associations (MNs)

View Image View Image View Image

four of us got together and chose 3 'best of' to take cuts from. One top contender was disqualified for drooping at night shown in last pic taken Aug 8th. Our goal was to select for fastest flowering and hardiest among competition. Plants were culled shortly after not wanting to chance a late hermie

How many landrace seeds we talking and what are your goals HC?
Wow Rico, this is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. Very happy to see that this is possible, thank you for taking the time to respond. Do you think taking them all the way to seed in those tubs would cause them to herm? I'd like to avoid that if possible so I don't end up breeding with plants prone to herming.

I don't have many seeds of each variety, 12-24 seeds of 7 varieties from RSC. Some Thai, Lao, Iranian, and Himalayan varieties many of which are still quite ferrel or a little domesticated by ganja farmers from the region (very pure genetics). There's no way I'll get a complete look at each genepool with so few specimines. Given that, I'd like to be self sufficient in the future with my own seeds, and I'd rather not end up with a bunch of seeds from less that great parents if I can avoid it. Or at least pick from the best of the lot.

Maybe I'd be wasting my time? ...How did your trials turn out Rico?