What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mad’s Thin Mint cross “Velvet Mango” -Test grow

MadR1

I’ll be growing 5 unique GSC lineage mixes in this thread. First grow 100% Aquaculture Hempy Buckets with Coco.

There is some confusion over a labeling problem at the beginning. Scroll past all that madness to the pictures of the sprouting goodness.

1. Velvet Mango P1: Last 9 sprouts
GSC x [(Blueberry x (Dutch Treat X Headband)]F5.
Best cross I’ve made in my 10 years working with the Headband X Dutch Treat seeds I inherited that started my interest in breeding.

Maybe the GSC cut I used was Animal Cookies? Later this becomes my most educated guess.

I’ve grown these beans before. A lot of great chocolate and orange flavor in these. One tasted like an orange soda. Some tasted like mango.

2. Chocolate Fire Crackers P1:
(Velvet Mango X Purple Cookie Thing F2) One of my newest accidental crosses.

PCT F2 = (Jesus OG X Blue Dream) X Velvet Mango) X Velvet Mango . I called Fire Angel in a previous grow log.

Cause of this labeling problem part of the reason I’m growing this out is to confirm that was the male used and not a male of its own breed which would mean these are VM F1 beans already, the MAIN goal of this grow is to make such beans.

3. Denver Cookies s1: 3 Bagseed from store bought. Unknown GSC cross. This one has a Fire OG taste also. Chocolate and mint, but definitely something SFV. Something Animal Cookies is my bet.

4. PCG Mochi: Clone from store.
(Sunset Sherbet X Thin Mint GSC)

5. PCG Do-Si-Dos: Clone from store.
(OGKB x Face Off OG)

These are my last 8 seedlings of VM. Hmm, they were always a bit more difficult to grow than my later cross PCT.

I scratch my head. I’m used to seeing the sprouts bigger. To low of light? I put them under brighter lights.

Every time I change to a new water source I need to relearn how to grow.

I water them again with the water from my dehumidifier. EC of .1

This time I adjust the ph as it’s to high. I bring it down to 5.6.

Maybe that’s it? They’ve been in nutrient lock cause the ph was 6+?

I fear I’ve killed them but will see if they improve. Maybe they are just a picky breed about the ph early on?

About my Aquaponics garden.

200 gallons CHOP constant height one pump style system.
2 pounds Butterfly Koi
6 pounds goldfish
1 crayfish
25 gallons of hydroton -growbed
Deep Flow Technique, grow tray filled completely with hydroton, with lettuce, purslane, watercress, some small Cannabis plants in veg.
Swirl filter
Some aquarium pumps and airstones.
2 2.5 gallon sand filters

Attachments

• 154E623D-1EF9-43AA-B6A4-46E58638D1F4.jpg
    154E623D-1EF9-43AA-B6A4-46E58638D1F4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

MadR1

Meanwhile another experiment I’m doing is almost working smoothly.

Grape Ape pregnant with a sticky male GA’s pollen. 100% grown in Aquaculture water since start of 12/12. Hand fed once a day into Hempy Buckets with Coco.

The EC of the fish water is .9 How are the fish not dead? It’s beyond me. It used to be .4ish for a year or so, last few months 1!

And now all of a sudden the ph has dropped way down to some color I don’t even see on the chart.

I’ll have to go to the pet store and buy some fish ph up as I don’t know if hydro ph up is ok for fish?

Yikes. For months the ph was always perfect for the plants. This is the first I’ve seen it change. No wonder the fish been looking at me funny, so acidic. Poor fish!

I adjusted the ph for the plants in a separate bucket. First time adjusting the ph at all for my 12/12 this round.

Please don’t die fish! When it rains it pours!

Attachments

• 967AF0E7-5AD5-42C9-BC5C-51A6F97765D9.jpg
    967AF0E7-5AD5-42C9-BC5C-51A6F97765D9.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

MadR1

Velvet Mango Update:

To make this more interesting I’ll attempt to learn how to grow them 100% Aquaponics from seed. Something I’m trying to do now anyhow cause RO water is expensive.

I’ll pretend that it’s just like growing with RO water, and how that relates to adjusting things. If it starts going way downhill I’ll grow 4 with normal nutes and 4 with fish water.

My RO water has a ph of 5.6. No wonder my fish tank had such a low ph. I’ve been adding this water to it to bring down the EC.

I added a few small cup fulls of my Aquaponics water to about a gallon of this fresh RO and then watered the VM sprouts again.

How I would have done this with my RO water normally would be to add a very small amount of CalMag and PBP grow.

Peace!

MadR1

If they will sprout I’ll also grow some

My cross Purple Cookie Thing F3
((([(Jesus OG X Blue Dream) X (Velvet Mango)] X Velvet Mango])))F3

Bagseed
3 Denver Cookies

And from clone
1 Mochi

That way this can be a comparison grow of hopefully 4 different TM crosses. 2 by me and 2 bred by other folks.

Last edited:

MadR1

Pics of my Purple Cookie Thing F2 - small mother plant to the F3 beans I plan to feature in this thread. Still drying, but I busted out some seeds and smoked that later to sample the taste.

Looks and tastes most like the GSC Thin Mints clone I wish I still had, that I used to make this cross. Great great grandmother? Great great great?

Minty chocolate cookie dough flavor. Wish I had taken a clone of this also. Please F3's be so kind!

Yum!!! Coco Pure Blend Pro nutes grown Hempy Buckets with Coco.

Or was this one of the 3 Velvet Mango plants that I somehow didn't label recently and it got into the 12/12 with me thinking it was a PCT, but really it was the prior generation, pre- X (BlueDream X Jesus OG) version? This is one of these things I'm hoping to sort out with this grow.

As I strive to make better notes about these things.

Update: this looks a lot like Fire OG. Tastes like chocolate and mint cookie dough but later there is an SFV aftertaste that lingers for days. I’ve grown SFV and Fire OG. No flavor I know like that. The clinic I got the GSC cut from must have relabeled Animal Cookies to GSC to get it to sell better, or they had both and mixed that one up!

Animal Cookies = Girl Scout Cookies S1 x Fire OG

Attachments

• IMG_2910.JPG
    IMG_2910.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2911.jpg
    IMG_2911.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

MadR1

If what I’ve learned in my recent research about GSC is true, experts will likely chime in and say the GSC cut I purchased from a Bay Area club 3-4 years ago is a fake or a cross.

That the creators of Thin Mints never gave it or GSC genetics away, so everything else is from bagseed or crosses made from such?

5 years ago? To long ago for it to have been the newer PCG GDP X Durban X OG? What GSC clone was going around at the clubs back then?

Maybe this thread gonna be about my Thin Mint Cross crosses....

MadR1

Pics of my other 7 flowering 100% aquaculture grown since 12/12. 3 weeks veg with PBP nutes. All pregnant with pollen from a stud Grape Ape. First 6 are PCT F2. Last generation I called the strain Fire Angel, but I rename it when I get a pheno that takes the flavor in a different direction.

The last one pictured is a different strain, Hash Plant Black Domina F1 from AK Bean Brains. I purchased it as a BX, inbred, so I'm calling this one F1.

The one second to last may be my Velvet Mango strain. One of the 3 plants I lost track of labeling. I'll bet if it was colder at night (during the day), this would already be a dark purple leaf one. Looks like a Blue Dream leaner with some AC influence. Putting extra pollen on this one.

Each of my plants in 12/12 is getting about 210w-300w of light with sets of 3 80w Sunstrips underpowered at 70w each. 2 warm, 1 white in the middle, configuration. Whole 12/12 is 550w LED. And the lights are pretty far away from the plants, more so than most growers I believe. Mmmmm, more flavor!

Sorry, I do believe I have the wrong type of lens on my dlsr for this kind of photography.

Attachments

• IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2919.JPG
    IMG_2919.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2921.jpg
    IMG_2921.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2923.jpg
    IMG_2923.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2928.jpg
    IMG_2928.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

MadR1

Another clue the GSC cut I had was Thin Mints?

From another forum, “ The fan leave stems will grow extremely long and stick straight out. It looks very odd.”

Pictures of a Velvet Mango and some PCT f2s.

The VMs side branches grew out way extra long later, couldn’t find a pic.

Attachments

• 7A42C5B4-974A-4D88-801B-15DE0412C1CD.jpg
    7A42C5B4-974A-4D88-801B-15DE0412C1CD.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 049D8F58-5A87-4755-B113-96C0FE91D812.jpg
    049D8F58-5A87-4755-B113-96C0FE91D812.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

MadR1

That purple plant I showed in the begging is totally a VM F1 and not a PCTF2!

It doesn’t taste anything like Jesus OG. Look anything like those PCTf2s I’ve run. Smokes just like a TM leaner VM. I really believe the pollen I put was PCTf2 though.

There is also this evident of my labeling mistake.

Time to play our game, Which of these beans is doin it’s own thing?

If you answered the two on the bottom left, correct. They are clearly a different color. More the color of VM beans than PCT.

And overall they all have a larger more cartoony look like Velvet Mango beans. I’ve ran 7 PCT F2s and made F3’s and none of those beans look “More GSC” like these.

This brings me to an obscure breeding question. Does the pollen influence the look of the beans? The male must have been a PCT, the only other variety I didn’t label recently.

Wow. Wouldn’t that be Fing cool if it was that easy! Just look at these and say, those bottom two are the VM learners I’m looking for.

I’ll gather them up and only sprout the ones that are that color!!!

Attachments

• 796A5137-8B31-4397-A872-A8FDD70C9B2E.jpg
    796A5137-8B31-4397-A872-A8FDD70C9B2E.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

MadR1

9 VM sprouts! This is just how they look I remember.

Animal Cookies is supposedly difficult to grow. It sure fits the bill of a AC cross. Makes me cough nearly every time. Sweet and sour. Almost immediate HEAVY body buzz. Really helps me forget my daily often severe chronic back pain.

Feeding RO water adjusted EC to .2 by adding fish water till I get it there. Soft water sucks and needs to be hardened a bit for the roots to have something to latch onto. My unscientific explanation.

All 3 Denver Cookies S1’s cracked. Yippeeee!!!
Put them in. Hope they are proper same strain feminized, not a single plant that pollinated itself/Hermi.

Fed them plain RO water.

Attachments

• 24B52858-9DA4-4F38-83BF-980A4A980981.jpg
    24B52858-9DA4-4F38-83BF-980A4A980981.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

MadR1

3 of the 5 Chocolate Fire Crackers beans cracked.

On the whole plant there was only 5 with the unusual golden brown color, similar to VM beans.

Perhaps also I’m wrong about the mother of these again. A PCT plant that is so heavy a VM pheno that it doesn’t have any Jesus OG taste?

A picture also of the mother plant when it was growing. The predominant Chocolate Mint taste and heavy body high are the directions I want this line to go either way.

Attachments

• 7240D669-68CA-4F31-916B-56959BDA0055.jpg
    7240D669-68CA-4F31-916B-56959BDA0055.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 67C13B1E-503D-460B-B49C-1D9987D58ABD.jpg
    67C13B1E-503D-460B-B49C-1D9987D58ABD.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 28

MadR1

And the PCG clones. Do-Si-Dos and Mochi.

I killed clones last time I bought a couple because I put them right into the aquaponics garden and it shocked them.

Works with lettuce I buy at the market that had roots still. Not with all strains, or most Cannabis perhaps.

Feeding them the same as the sprouts RO water hardened off to EC of .2 with Aquaponics water. Figure they need to grow some new roots maybe to learn how to grow in this new kind of nutes.

Also saw a Thrip on a leaf. Probably from my garden. I get those a lot.

Spraying with Doc Bron/Neam.

Attachments

• E30DB91D-8CCF-40FB-8E28-153D278145B3.jpg
    E30DB91D-8CCF-40FB-8E28-153D278145B3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 30
  • F04451C4-A363-46EF-9FCB-63A32972973D.jpg
    F04451C4-A363-46EF-9FCB-63A32972973D.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 27

MadR1

And which cut of GSC was used to create the Animal Cookies cut I believe I used?

AC = GSC S1 C Fire OG.

I’ll bet the S1 was Platinum Cookies aka Animal Girl Scout Cookies.

Cause I had a PCT pheno that looked just like the pic of this strain here

https://808genetics.com/clones/Animal-Cut-GSC.php

Except it was basically white colored. I put Grape Ape pollen on it. Wish I had taken a picture. Calling those beans White Ape Crackers.

Furthermore, this would explain why a lot of my PCTs come out looking a lot like this Creme Brûlée Cookies flowers I purchased and have been enjoying. Also a Platinum GSC cross.

MadR1

Transplanted the 9 VM seedlings into Coco in small cups with drainage holes poked in the bottom. 3 had pretty good roots out the bottom, this one being the best.

The tips look a bit yellow. Perhaps this Aquaponics thing is more similar to how I would grow in Coco with PBP. I switch to water 1/4 strength of what the fish water usually is EC .4-.5 - to .1 I’ll just use .5 as the max to figure out my feeding chart.

At the beginning when I thought the EC was double what it normally is it was because my new TDS meter has a button that switches between ppm and EC. Oops.

What an expensive waste of RO water. I was putting in massive quantities to try to remedy this. That’s just what the systems EC has been for more than a year.

It’s hard for me to understand how an EC of .4-.5 is enough to flower them. Somehow it’s different.

But also, I should be watering them more than once a day before they go into Hempy Buckets. More like how the lettuce grows in the regular grow bed -constant flow of water, Deep Flow Technique with the grow bed full of pebbles.

Attachments

• B2B8EB59-B791-4DE4-9E4B-FF53D7AA59C6.jpg
    B2B8EB59-B791-4DE4-9E4B-FF53D7AA59C6.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 9A6E062E-6707-4079-94EA-026CBE300C17.jpg
    9A6E062E-6707-4079-94EA-026CBE300C17.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 28

MadR1

Thanks. This is actually my 3rd attempt at vegging plants with the fish water.

Last round it shocked half of them just jumping right into full strength. The other half grew crazy fast. I flowered those 5 and 4 turned out to be males.

This leads me to believe, at least with that variety, that males are heavier feeders?

Do the VMs look over or underfed at EC of .1?

I think maybe a bit overfed, but not much. No? Underfed? Not burned looking tips tips, tips that need more greening up?

Attachments

• 2FCE80B2-0A1D-47B6-8354-28152EB3E6BD.jpg
    2FCE80B2-0A1D-47B6-8354-28152EB3E6BD.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 400198C5-3195-421C-83D1-E7124D113F0F.jpg
    400198C5-3195-421C-83D1-E7124D113F0F.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

MadR1

I’m hitting the books more.

I use a product called Replenish to
Restore the GH to the RO water.

“Replenish is a proprietary blend of salts designed to replenish physiologically relevant minerals that are removed by reverse osmosis filtration
Replenish restores general hardness (GH) using a balanced blend of both soft (sodium potassium) and hard (calcium magnesium) salts
Restoration of mineral content is essential since a complete lack of minerals will result in osmotic stress”

But I still think the plants have a tendency to look CalMag deficient.

I’ve read that a lot of people add Epsom Salt and crushed egg shells.

Maybe the 12/12 ones are using up a lot of the CalMag. So I added these ingredients in the recommended dosage to the Sump tank last night.

MadR1

Hmmmm. The VMs must be in week 2. I see a chart that says that requires an EC of 1.0 so I water them again with that.

MadR1

attachment.php

attachment.php

Meanwhile.... I threw a, freshly cracked in water, bean into the main Aquaponics growbed. WTF? It’s now the fastest growing healthiest looking sprout in my garden.

When I’ve tried to put sprouts in, or small plants from soil, last few times these all got stressed big time.

I clearly need to do some experiments. Would be so much easier if I could always do it like this, except in a container that can later be transplanted into the 12/12 tent.

I have also been noticing certain strains seem to do better in my system than others. Though I think there is something else going on here. Starting them that early bypasses these other transplant issues? I should keep this one going for a while for comparison.

PCT S’mores pheno X GA.

Latest posts

Latest posts