What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can we discuss bubblegum?

Croissant

I couldn't agree more with you bigbadbiddy lock down the pheno in preservation. It will smell unmistakingly like pink bubblegum. It is almost surreal how on point it smells like pink by bubblegum.

I would say it would be a good idea to respect bog by not flooding the market with the stuff right away if that's your plan. Which I don't think it is.

It is important to preserve and lock down these old school strains though. It is a part of the cultural commons of cannabis culture.

Unfortunately not too much spreading of select cuts goes on of these older strains so the fantastic phenos are just seen as myth and the shwaggy phenos get passed around with the same name.

There were a lot of fantastic strains in the 90s but raids of seedbanks In the early 2000s and american nationalism in the wake of medical marijuana and George bush gave rise to rez and subcool. Where rez took the market for the latest fads and subcool the market for tasty strains. The thing is subcools stuff paled in comparison to the stuff from the damn, at least the good phenos.

bigbadbiddy

I hear over and over that preservation is becoming a more important aspect every year, even for the hobby grower/breeder.

Already switched my plans around that as I agree.

What use is embarking on the next big cross adventure if the basis for it is becoming increasingly shit?

I innitially did not plan to do any inbreeding/line conservation/back crossing/F2ing but after reading a bit more here and elsewhere, I plan to make F2 seeds of every keeper mum/dad combo I find.
Thing is, I really have no use for so many seeds and would much rather isolate a stellar dad and then use him to pollinate all my keeper mums in order to make new cool crosses with so much potential etc. etc.

But I can't shake the idea of having found something great in my breeding efforts in say 5 years only to realize I cannot backcross it to anything useful because the seeds from 5 years ago have been replaced by subcool gear etc.

Having a stash of F2s from my favorites would simply give me peace of mind that nothing can get completely lost along the way.

bigbadbiddy

Weird you still have that old Bubblegum cut you sometimes post about or did I misunderstand?

Ever thought about selfing it or finding a suitable male and making some beans?

It might not be of use for all of us immediately as you might not want to sell the beans (which is fine) but I think it would give the entire community peace of mind that someone is preserving these genetics.

need4weed

Veteran
I ordered BG from BOG i then emailed him as the description was vague, he responded with this

Hi,

What we used in the beginning was reported to be all Bubblegum.
However, there is no bubblegum male. Bubblegum comes from the clone
previlent in Holand, so who knows. We have worked to keep it as
Bubblegum as possible.

Thanks,
BOG

I have kinda gone off of it as its a hybrid of sorts and not a true line....
I can't find that many reports on it so I'm really not sure

Croissant

@need4weed

Yeah all BG is based off the clone only which weird probably has unless he got tricked.

They outcrossed the clone then worked to stabilize the line... It is quite a bit of work to do it right so no one really does it anymore because it takes big numbers to select at the f2. To get BG where bog has it would take a lot of work from an f1 of the original clone, possibly years of work.

Grojak

Serious seeds bubblegum back in 97 was like that, got it again in 06 and its different. Pretty sure they lost the orignals and are selling something different now. I wouldnt trust the older seed banks anymore too many of them are claiming old world strains and there not. BoG or cannaventure are probably a better shot, but the skunks and bubblegums are pretty much dead unless you find a mountain hippie with some old world clones.

so... the "bubble gum" taste of bubble gum is kind of a myth. Adam of ThSeeds (the guy that orginally launched bubblegum to the masses) stated on The Adam Dunn Show that bubblegum never tasted or smelled like bubblegum it was just really sticky to roll up like bubblegum.

Serious and TH are both no longer the right place to look for Bubblegum.

TH scrapped their regular seed lines alltogether and Bubblegum is barely available as not feminized anymore.
Even before that move it no longer had the reputation of being a "good" Bubblegum representative. Find a report within the last 5 years saying they find actual Bubblegum flavors and odors in TH seeds gear. I couldn't.

Same goes for Serious. Find a report from the last 5 or so years. I couldn't.
All I found was people saying they popped 2, 3 or more packs and didn't find anything noteworthy that didn't hermy on the flipside.
Pair that with Serious being known for not preserving their strains, lying about ingredients and still asking the same price as true premium genetics in the market and I couldn't bring myself to by from them. Maybe you see that differently though.

From what I understand, the best way to get actual Bubblegum flavors and odors is either to go through a few packs of B.O.G. gear or get a bunch of packs of White Label DoubleGum or Nirvana Bubblicious and go pheno hunting, popping 50 or so seeds.

That or obtaining a cut from someone.

Everything else seems like a dice roll.
You could invest in 1 pack of Serious Bubblegum, run a high chance of finding nothing but average generic herb and hermies or you could, for the same price, run 4 packs of Nirvana Bubblicious and have a much higher chance of actually finding a Bubblegum pheno.

Since B.O.G. is regarded here and elsewhere as the king of Bubblegum and his Bubblegum gear comes from White Label DoubleGum, I think it is fair to say that going with Serious, TH or other high priced Bubblegum genetics is no longer the way forward.
I wouldn't at least.

It's all talk and speculation unless you've ran the seeds yourself or have been handed buds from known strains, there is so much misinformation and ignorance in the industry. A lot of it comes from "experts" not knowing shit and than those experts followers continue to spew shit and eventually if enough people are spewing shit, shit becomes excepted as truth.

I've had indica bubblegum (assuming TH Seeds) it had neither the looks or smell that one would desire.

I invested in a pack of Serious Seeds Bubblegum about 5 years ago and found 3 monsters and F2'd to 2 of them on was I would describe as a childrens Bubblegum toothpaste, it had a minty sweetness to it. Other two were straight up bubblegum (like what used to come in Topps baseball cards). One plant produced like 8oz in a 5gal pot (with 3 other plants under same light), flower times were from 75-85 but well worth it. The downside was under a 435w fluorescent veg light one of them (a clone) preflowered hard, not fulblown auto but in flower it basically didn't stretch.

Made F2's with a couple cut and what I've given out have tested well both indoors and outdoors, need more testing though....

Also for breeding these made 2 amazing lines, Chemdawg x Bubblegum and Dynamite x Bubblegum have tested out amazingly well.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
My ibg finally looking like it snapped out of whatever was going on.... New growth looks good n coco is actually drying out daily... Would go a week and stay wet. Now roots must be healthy so I should have a pic or 2 in the near future n hopefully have clones n a run in or better yet done by New years

Grojak

I ordered BG from BOG i then emailed him as the description was vague, he responded with this

Hi,

What we used in the beginning was reported to be all Bubblegum.
However, there is no bubblegum male. Bubblegum comes from the clone
previlent in Holand, so who knows. We have worked to keep it as
Bubblegum as possible.

Thanks,
BOG

I have kinda gone off of it as its a hybrid of sorts and not a true line....
I can't find that many reports on it so I'm really not sure

There is no true bubblegum strain, just isn't there.

I looked for an article I booked marked years ago and it's been deleted but I'll try to summarize it.

I believe the article I read was an interview with Simon from Serious, I'm going to do my best to recall the story so I'd say I'll be 90% accurate to the account I read.

Indiana Bubblegum is the original according to legend it made its way to new england before landing in Amsterdamn in the early 90's. Prior to Serious and TH Seeds Simon and Adam worked together. So Simon, TH Seeds and (Tony I think) Sargamartha all got the cuts, if memory serves they actually had 3 Indiana BG cuts and chose to work different once. Simon chose sativa leaning Adam chose indica leaning.

That is a very short summary of the article I read I believe Simon used 3 different landraces to work his strain and as he say it's his only "worked" strain not F1 cross.

need4weed

Veteran
It's all talk and speculation unless you've ran the seeds yourself or have been handed buds from known strains, there is so much misinformation and ignorance in the industry. A lot of it comes from "experts" not knowing shit and than those experts followers continue to spew shit and eventually if enough people are spewing shit, shit becomes excepted as truth.

I've had indica bubblegum (assuming TH Seeds) it had neither the looks or smell that one would desire.

I invested in a pack of Serious Seeds Bubblegum about 5 years ago and found 3 monsters and F2'd to 2 of them on was I would describe as a childrens Bubblegum toothpaste, it had a minty sweetness to it. Other two were straight up bubblegum (like what used to come in Topps baseball cards). One plant produced like 8oz in a 5gal pot (with 3 other plants under same light), flower times were from 75-85 but well worth it. The downside was under a 435w fluorescent veg light one of them (a clone) preflowered hard, not fulblown auto but in flower it basically didn't stretch.

Made F2's with a couple cut and what I've given out have tested well both indoors and outdoors, need more testing though....

Also for breeding these made 2 amazing lines, Chemdawg x Bubblegum and Dynamite x Bubblegum have tested out amazingly well.

Wise words grojak but how was the smoke on serious seeds version ?

Grojak

Wise words grojak but how was the smoke on serious seeds version ?

My keeper cut was the one that yielded 8oz, her colas were from 12-18" long, the smoke was a very pleasant buzz. Like a less narcotic SSH, I'll explain. When I hit SSH it comes on like an indica, mellowed out head buzz, "stoney" if you will in about 10-20 min that feeling wears off and I'm left with a satisfying "up" high.

The bubblegum comes with more of a "light" feeling, you know that feeling you get when you're really excited and butterflies start setting in? Thats the best I can come up with to explain it. I feel the "body" feeling of excitement, without the butterflies or anxiousness. It's a really pleasent enjoyable feeling that lasts from 1-2 hours.

That make any sense?

Croissant

Damn grojak that sounds epic. Glad you could chime in on serious seeds version.

All Adam seeds get swept over with this negative brush these days but its hard to imagine that they are all just lost and complete shit. Most are overpriced sure but serious and magus maintains a reasonable price and simon and his old crew bred some amazing strains. There is just so much great stuff from that era really.

Croissant

Yeah, if you read through his stuff he's claiming he's working with the seed line BG came out of.

Its possible that's true, but it might be in the same way that GDP came out of purple erkle.

Reports are that there are phenos that carry a juicy fruit flavor. It could be that it's a IBl with bubble gum phenos out of Indiana. I am imagining that bubblegum came out of parental stock that this line is related to. All that it could mean is someone bred the original bubblegum line into their own homegrown line and selected to keep the sweet phenos in the line.

It seems like whatever it is he's put quite a bit of his own selections molding it into what it is today and it seems interesting to me whatever that line holds.

angelgoob

the stuff I got was an off-bubblegum taste with a 4 hour high and 4 hour hangover/stoned.

anyone notice anything with the duration of stonedness?

from madtown.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Weird you still have that old Bubblegum cut you sometimes post about or did I misunderstand?

Ever thought about selfing it or finding a suitable male and making some beans?

It might not be of use for all of us immediately as you might not want to sell the beans (which is fine) but I think it would give the entire community peace of mind that someone is preserving these genetics.

Held it and let it go, more than once, and wish I didn't every time.

fwiu the real indiana has cbd as well

I read this did not have anything I ran tested

I say this because some people did seem to get something "extra" from it and those who benefit from cbd may have experienced this.

Ganja baba

Veteran
Held it and let it go, more than once, and wish I didn't every time.

fwiu the real indiana has cbd as well

I read this did not have anything I ran tested

I say this because some people did seem to get something "extra" from it and those who benefit from cbd may have experienced this.

He states it's not massively potent the ibl one I mentioned so may it's got a fair bit of cbd , I just got two packs and going to cross to my indica bubble gum from old release serious seeds I stashed

t99

Veteran
That lists the seller as brother monk. Maybe same person was a member here and maybe with Hill Temple Collective? I don't remember
If you want to do some vendor research

Croissant

That lists the seller as brother monk. Maybe same person was a member here and maybe with Hill Temple Collective? I don't remember
If you want to do some vendor research

Yeah its brother monk. He was a stand up guy when he was at icmag. He works his lines for multiple generations. He gives a pretty detailed back story to this line in his posts. It is worth reading. The issue is I am not sure if he has ever had the clone only to compare I to.

I am saying this because I've seen how clone onlies work their way into peoples house lines. Often its bred into it at one generation. Then a couple generations later their are phenos that carry those characteristics.

A strain will be brought to a region and passed around by growers and each farm will have took that parent stock in different directions. It usually gets mixed into existing lines.

So what he has is likely a hybrid of parental lines of bubblegum. Or it might just be the clone only bred into someone's own line. Or it could be completely different. In any case read monks back story on the line or grow it out but if you don't have the clone only and other lines to compare it to you really only have what you got and a story.