What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else care to share dumbshit growroom mistakes...

I

IE2KS_KUSH

I'll start....
Day 2 of flower after tons of prep construction work..and I realize that the bullshit "it'll have to do for now fan thats really a small portable heater with a fan function" has a bright fucking red light power indicator on it! DOH! Needless to say its no longer in the flower room and has been replaced with an actual oscillating fan that DOESN'T have a big fucking red light on it! Glad I realized it right away and didn't get 5 weeks into flowering wondering wtf was going on..
I literaly spent hours finding and fixing light leaks only to overlook that obvious mistake. Hell I even retaped the light on my power strip thinking to myself "boy I am sure a sharp motherfucker" all the while that other almost identical light on that fan centered perfectly in the grow room shining away....dumbfuckme!

I

Iron_Lion

Alot of time surge protector strips have orange lights on them too.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
just not being preventative.

with pest mostly. now I do neem sprays at flipping,
plus do a dunk when babies first arrive at potting up.

yup these two acts have saved me countless headaches and pest problems...

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Buying a case of spray bottles & using sharpie to write labels on them was a dumb move. Worn off labels look similar. I could tell I had accidentally hit the plants with bleach the second I squeezed the trigger and the smell hit me, but it was too late to prevent the damage. Subsequent wash downs prevented a full kill but it was pretty nasty.

Wise

Left the pump on over a weekend in my pump & want system. Didn't notice the steam coming from the soil until all the plants were watered. The plants didn't like it but recovered to a point where I was able to get a harvest. This was my first grow.

I've also injured my hands building my room more time than I can count.

Bad mistake: Thinking "a few fungus gnats here or there won't be a problem". Oh how wrong I turned out to be...major infestation within weeks.

Big mistake: Letting a friend take care of plants while I was out of town. Apparently detailed instructions aren't enough to overcome inexperience.

Greatest mistake: Having a grow partner in my early years. (Trust me on this one, kids.)

C

cyberwax

building a secret hideout only to find out i couldnt fit a barrel thru the door, i am however looking for thin barrels :p

jack Haze

just not being preventative.

with pest mostly. now I do neem sprays at flipping,
plus do a dunk when babies first arrive at potting up.

yup these two acts have saved me countless headaches and pest problems...

Totally agree with you on this. I'm a fan of Botonigard. I've used Neem sprays in the past but get quicker, more pronounced results with the Botonagard.

Probably the stupidest thing I've done is grow in an apartment and hung lights from studs screwed into the ceiling and not necesasrily hitting all the studs.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
Nice ones guys.

I was in a rush getting a room setup once and plugged in 2 120v ballast into a 220v outlet (they were switchable ballasts, had them on the wrong setting!)

Almost set house on fire LOL lights were off for a week mid flower before I noticed it. 400 bills down the drain in ballasts, loss of yield, lesson learned.

Does neem oil really prevent multiple pests problems ?

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hung my first light ever on jack chain that broke from heat stress and crushed all my plants.
not my screw-up, but noteworthy all the same: my buddy couldn't figure out why his girls weren't putting on heavy flowers in week four. I came over to assess the problem and I was stumped for a day or two. He had mites up the yin yang, but I didn't think that would stress the plants so severely that it would delay full flowering. Then it hit me like a freight train.
Where is your timer?
Over there, plugged into the MLC.
So you have a cheap ass timer on a relay?
I guess.
Have you looked at it recently?
Not since I switched it out about two weeks ago, the old one burned out.
You know there's a toggle switch on the side that enables and disables the timer function?
Really?

The bloody switch had been turned to the "on" position for two weeks; full veg 24 hrs the whole time. Genius.

D

darkhorse

here is a laugh for you,- i gave someone a carbon filter once so i went
around to his bit weeks later and into his room where i seen the carbon
filter sitting in the middle of the room on its own attached to nothing.
the young guy thought it would scrub the air just sitting there!
he also couldnt work a timmer no matter how many times i tried to show him.

a big mistake i made was- i was growing in a tent and had the intake duct
attached near the window, i came back to find the tent imploaded fans and
everything screetching the lights were melting through the tent and it was a mess
the intake sucked up the curtains and blocked the airflow off.
that was a scary one.

hung my first light ever on jack chain that broke from heat stress and crushed all my plants.
not my screw-up, but noteworthy all the same: my buddy couldn't figure out why his girls weren't putting on heavy flowers in week four. I came over to assess the problem and I was stumped for a day or two. He had mites up the yin yang, but I didn't think that would stress the plants so severely that it would delay full flowering. Then it hit me like a freight train.
Where is your timer?
Over there, plugged into the MLC.
So you have a cheap ass timer on a relay?
I guess.
Have you looked at it recently?
Not since I switched it out about two weeks ago, the old one burned out.
You know there's a toggle switch on the side that enables and disables the timer function?
Really?

The bloody switch had been turned to the "on" position for two weeks; full veg 24 hrs the whole time. Genius.

Yeah, I'd say that was pretty Fukked. Years ago, I had a partner screw up the timer just like you said. Oh boy, did I flip!

BrainSellz

Veteran
meen:) oil i mean neem oil is :good:....

i put a half inch hose over a water pump without a clamp.....needless to say i woke up the next morning to find the pump had pushed the hose off (duh) and blown all the water out the sides of the lid, had to rent a wet vac to suck up 50 gallons of water out of the carpet and only got about 10 back :dunno:....

Dojo

Using duct tape inside my growinstead of foil tape...now i got gray melted sticky spots all over

Also using vinager as a ph down (shakes head)

Knocking over 16 oz solo cup full of perlite on my grow floor when its watering time....

Not following the GH nute schedule on the bottle and trying to use lucas formula (i know it works but my babies HATED IT)

Acciedently touching germed seeds with my bare fingers

Trying DWC and not cleaning the rez... when hempy was not letting me down (the dwc set me back a crop) (dont fix it if it aint broke)

Alltime big mistake is not finding icmag sooner and growing my own alot sooner

compost

Nice ones guys.

I was in a rush getting a room setup once and plugged in 2 120v ballast into a 220v outlet (they were switchable ballasts, had them on the wrong setting!)

Almost set house on fire LOL lights were off for a week mid flower before I noticed it. 400 bills down the drain in ballasts, loss of yield, lesson learned.

I did that once instead of the wrong voltage I had the HPS light in the socket and the ballast on MH. Thankfully that only cost me about 100.

Neem oil is great. I don't know how effective it is at killing an infection once it starts but its great helping prevent them and other plant issues like PM.

R

Rysam

Natural wood bbq charcoal doesn't work for odor control, at all. It doesnt matter how many pounds(60) you stuff into that holy crap huge filter thats bowing the roof in or how much you tell yourself carbon is carbon right?.. The landlord must have agreed, he chopped down every weed over 2' tall while bitching about them damn marijuana heads(I blamed the neighbors stoner kids) and wondering where they were growing it on his property...
Oh, you meant ACTIVATED carbon...well, yeh its amazing what 15 lbs in the right filter can mask.

Switching from semiorganic PBP to GH Flora in late-mid flower to give a "final push" feeding, since chem ferts like GH are more "direct" and fast acting than organics. Fucking ruined my harvest with a bitter, chemmy overtone due to a security related early harvest . It only had 2 weeks flush in a 5 gallon coco buckets. Test buds taken before the GH Flora was added was a perfect 10 in taste (C99 sugariness). PBP also didn't get an adequate enough flush on paper, but someow turned out perfect right out my quick drying dessicant chamber.

BTW, the final chem feedings gave no benefit. Never again. Organics for life. No cure necessary there.