What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2010 HT Medical Cup: The meh, the bad, and the ugly

I haven't seen much on IC about the cup, happened to take some pics, so I thought I'd do a little writeup.

So here's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Happened to have a trip to NorCal scheduled for other matters, when I realized my trip coincided with the first High Times Medical Cannabis Cup! I was pretty fraking excited, having always wanted to go to the Dam for the cup. I figured this may be the next best thing...

Arrived late as fuck Friday night, got lost driving through Frisco, damnit. STOOPID GPS! Got smoked the fuck out by my brotha from anotha motha, and crashed hard.

Up early, and out the door we go. I was excited, but I had a baaaaaad feeling about this. Why?

Because when I pre-ordered our tickets, I simply got a notice that my "ticket numbers" would be e-mailed to me within a week....ticket...number?

Sure enough, about a week later (after having to ask why they hadn't arrived yet), I got just that. An e-mail with a couple of letters and numbers. That's it. No barcoded PDF to print out, no hard-ticket in the mail. Just a number.

How could this NOT end in disaster?

Sure enough, we arrive around noon, and there is a line snaked around the block. We stand in it, moving maybe ten feet in twenty minutes, when the guys ahead of us get called out of line by their friend ahead.

We follow, and find that there is a SEPARATE line for pre-purchase. No signs.

/sigh

Now we're in a much shorter line (which is quickly growing), and I suspect the line we were in would have taken us 1 1/2 hours to get to the front.

Get harassed by flyer-hander-outers while standing in line.

/sigh

Guy near us give his water bottle to a very old man standing in the other line, who looked about ready to pass out.

/sigh

Finally get in. Give my number to the chick, and she lets us in. You can't tell me this system didn't get abused.

Crowded as frak. And....why in the hell did you put the FOOD RIGHT BY THE ENTRANCE?!?!

/sigh

But hey, at least we're in, and since we pre-paid, we get some free schwag on the way in, a little black HT/BPG bag, grinder/storage thingy, sample of ital hempwick, program, and a free t-shirt...remember the free t-shirt....

Snapped a few shots of the expo...

Upstairs, entrance is in the upper left of the shot.

picture.php

The "Spinner", which I think is a cool little unit (if overpriced). The engineering is pretty genius when you get an up-close look at how it works. Unfortunately, the salesmen were overselling PRICKS. I get the feeling their entire lives are riding on this venture. WAY over-agressive.

picture.php

picture.php

BC Northern Lights were there. Love the design of their boxes, and had seriously considered buying one many times.

picture.php

Sigh....they still don't make a desktop sized version for us ~qp growers, lol. Ah well.

picture.php

LOTS of vendors hawking LED lights.
picture.php

Downstairs was the "215" section, I guess. Dispensaries and seed sellers, and the smoking area outside with hashbar (but it was closed by the time we got there, and I couldn't get outside anyways, being a non-card holder). TGA/Subcool had a big display set up as well, forgot to take pictures.

picture.php

picture.php

Oh, did I mention that to get downstairs, you had to take a tiny little staircase, which had traffic going both ways?

And that the venue was super cramped?

In other words....the Medical cup was non-handicap accessible.

/facepalm

WHO PUT THE STONERS IN CHARGE!?!? lol

We were there for a few hours, then we'd had enough. We were starving, headed to in-n-out burger, and had, swear to god, the best burger and fries of my life, lol. Maybe it was the jetlag, the high-grade weed, the near-starvation, or some combination of these, but motherfraker it was good!

Then we went home and smoked hash :)

picture.php

To sum up: Had I gone on a trip STRICTLY to attend the cup as a non-card holder, I would have felt pretty ripped off. Many of the vendors were selling there wares at FULL RETAIL PRICE, WTF! One notable exception was the incredibowl, they had a nice setup with a case at a good price, the big one was like $125, still kicking myself for not getting it.

As a card-holder, if you got there before they shut the hash-bar down (you must have gotten in line pretty early!), and especially if you wanted to talk to a breeder, I think it would have been a good deal.

I was pretty soured on the experience, especially after buying another event t-shirt, forgetting I had gotten one for free, lol! And they're both white, I wanted black! Short-term memory has gone to pot :)

Now, the thought of going to Amsterdam in fraking NOVEMBER to attend another High Times clusterfark doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Know what does sound like a good idea though?

The 2011 ICMag 4/20 cup, that's what!

If you were at this event, please share your experience in this thread!

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
sounds just as fucking lame as all of their amsterdam cups...looks nearly identical as well. at least you got a in n out burger out of it. best drive thru burger in the world hands the fuck down.

ps i hope you make money writing articles. that felt like something straight out of a magazine.

High times fake bud ads and allowing the winning entry of the cup to be named 'god's pussy' when it was really Vortex pretty much sums up why I'm glad I didn't go. Why even have a cup if the winner is re-named strain nobody will ever find. Odd.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Glad I miseed it, isn't there another growers expo coming up in SF soon? I went last year and it was a zoo, trying to get in with my hydro shop so I can go on vendor day (I am their best customer after all! :)

Marco Renda

Thanks for the review! You may want to venture NORTH to Toronto Canada next July as that is when the 2nd annual Medical Marijuana Expo is on. All VIP Judges recieved 10 samples to judge. Oh yea every cannabis related magazine was there EXCEPT High Times as they chose not to participate or attend. Guess they were afraid of getting educated on how to put on a PROFESSIONAL event.

Take Care and Peace
Marco Renda
Federal Exemptee
Publisher
Treating Yourself
The Alternative Medicine Journal

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
I would like to see someone using the Spinner.
But it looks like a typical trade show. Wait till its legalized in Cali then they can have a real Cannabis Cup.

vta

Veteran
great review and post

We were thinking about going but figured it would be like the CC. Glad I didn't go, sounded like a pain. I liked the THC Expose in LA. Not to crowded and a great show. My friend owns a head shop and got some great deals on bulk pipes and such...I mean really cheap!

Thanks for stopping by guys.

Marco, I plan on doing the IC420 cup next year, but if that doesn't pan out, Toronto it will be!

astronomy conventions reduce the prices as they are sold without middleman and sometimes there are irregulars for pennies on the dollar. I agree that it is crap that there were no discounts on grow gear with the huge markup they have(the stores alone mark it up 50% from wholesale). i am all for making a buck, but why not sell it at 80% retail and still multiply profits compared to selling at wholesale as they normally do? obviously they know how to make an invention but not run a business.

even with a discount, I wouldn't buy an led system for anything other than early veg(and t5's work fine and are drastically cheaper). The spinner looks like it would grow only puny plants and looks appropriate only to be used as a microgarden for kitchen herbs, but never tried it in all fairness.

thanks for sharing pics! I would like to see more threads like this in the future. maybe I will photoessay kushcon II in december if i go

accurate write up, bravo! You should have gone to the seminars tho. They were the only redeeming factor for me. The growers and the business "seminar" were both fairly informative. Russ, the high times radio guy, said that he was going to put them online, but i haven't seen it as of yet.
Food by the door was idiotic.
also,
Vortex is a TGA strain. You could have purchased it there. Also, they let you name your prize winning steer, and your horse, and a greyhound oh and wine. Why can't you name the phenotype you selected from seed? As far as we know it is a 100% unique individual.

I would like to add that i was there the first day with a VIP pass and experienced the same lines and stupidity. mega disappointed with this aspect.

You're probably right about that, can't remember if I mentioned the seminars or not. We thought about it, but opted against due to various reasons, time being the biggest.

On naming the strain, if you cross something, sure, but I think the tradition of naming the CUT is more appropriate, keeping the strain name.

And yes, I SHOULD have picked up some Vortex beans while I was there, and regret it.

Latest posts

Latest posts