in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Super soil over winter

Thread Title Search
Super soil over winter Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2020, 08:21 PM #1
Robbig22

Robbig22 is on a distinguished road
Super soil over winter

I am thinking way ahead but is there any down side to mix my super soil and leave it outside over winter. It gets way below freezing.
Robbig22 is offline Quote

Old 07-11-2020, 12:46 PM #2
vacuumlungs

vacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbig22 View Post
I am thinking way ahead but is there any down side to mix my super soil and leave it outside over winter. It gets way below freezing.
I started filling my 200 gallon smart pots in January.
vacuumlungs is offline Quote

Old 07-11-2020, 07:29 PM #3
40degsouth

40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice
There’s no such thing as too early but there is too late.
40degsouth is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:39 AM #4
vacuumlungs

vacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the roughvacuumlungs is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40degsouth View Post
There’s no such thing as too early but there is too late.
Exactly. I didn’t temp mine while it was cooking but it was warm and you could smell it going through a heat. All that organic fert mixed with lots of worm castings definitely gets hot enough to need to sit for a minute.
vacuumlungs is offline Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 08:02 AM #5
KIS

KIS is just really niceKIS is just really niceKIS is just really niceKIS is just really niceKIS is just really niceKIS is just really niceKIS is just really niceKIS is just really niceKIS is just really nice
If it's outside and getting rained on you're leaching nutrients, N and K and Na would be the firsts to go. If it's covered and dries out the microbes will die/go dormant and you lose nutrient cycling. You'll want to rewet and give some more nutrients to the soil to get the microbes active again prior to planting. That could be as simple as a few handfuls of organic alfalfa meal mixed in or watering with a diluted molasses solution.
KIS is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:08 PM #6
Robbig22

Awesome thank you so much everyone. I am mixing a big batch for my family this fall. So as long as I keep it moist and in the spring feed it a little I should be good to go

Old 07-15-2020, 01:46 AM #7
40degsouth

40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice40degsouth is just really nice
Hi Robbig22.
My thoughts are, that if you keep it turned and moist, it will be ready by Spring.
Cheers,
40degsouth is offline Quote

Old 07-15-2020, 02:47 AM #8
Robbig22

I figured I would turn once a week for the first month then maybe once or twice a month after til it freezes. Thanks for the advice

Old 07-27-2020, 02:23 AM #9
BullDogDad

BullDogDad has a spectacular aura aboutBullDogDad has a spectacular aura aboutBullDogDad has a spectacular aura about
Perhaps a cover crop would help protect it?
BullDogDad is offline Quote

Old 07-31-2020, 07:59 PM #10
Robbig22

That might be a good idea. I am starting to gather all my pieces. I do not have access to neem or Karanja cake or meal what would be the closest thing to that