What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

red kalamata?

G

this was a strain that got talked about a little bit on OG.. greek in origin, looked extremely sativa in the pics, and was supposed to be very special.

completely forgot about it until recently, and after looking I couldnt find any banks with beans.

anyone know where these beans can be found or have any information on this strain?

thanks in advance

Tripco

Kalamata origin is probably Peloponese peninsula (surroundings of city of Kalamata). There are some sativa strains in Greece (as well in the whole Balcans) and they're mostly of turkish descent. In last 20-25 years they grow also some of colombian strains, especialy in the Crete, maybe it has some of those genes.

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
yeah I remember that guy dropping by my old sativa thread. I really don't remember much about it other than what you said.

I did however end up talking to a very nice and knowledgable greek grower while in chat here one day. unfortunately I am horrible about names and I can't remember who it was. Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll chime in.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
In last 20-25 years they grow also some of colombian strains, especialy in the Crete, maybe it has some of those genes.
In Crete Maybe, but not for the real Kalamata sutff. As far as I know Kalamata's fame dates from the times Greece was a hash producer, early 20th century.

Irie !

G

thanks for the response mriko.. with that in mind I will see what I can dig up..

What mriko said is right.

Kalamata weed is the old famous "Alagonia" bud. Alagonia is the forest outside the city of Kalamata city. In the Peloponese area, at the 19th cent,turkish hashish strains were brought. Hashish from the area of Andravida was famous... But the bud from Alagonia (Kalamata bud) i believe was consumed as marijuana.

Colombian strains in Crete ? its a bit hard for me to believe that ...

I will do a translation from a nice book about the cultivation of cannabis for hashish in the 19th+20th cent in the Greek area when i'll find some more free time :)

Last edited:
G

I can believe Colombians were grown, if some commercial Colombian bricks ever made it to Greece, it makes sense folks would have colelcted the seeds and grown them.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
motaco said:
yeah I remember that guy dropping by my old sativa thread. I really don't remember much about it other than what you said.

I did however end up talking to a very nice and knowledgable greek grower while in chat here one day. unfortunately I am horrible about names and I can't remember who it was. Maybe you'll get lucky and he'll chime in.
Hola motaco,
From what I remember one was I33t,and 20´Thai as well
XX´if you read this,all the best :wink:

Rondelia

l33t really did VERY well in that grow, back in that time it was possible to find original landrace, now you cant be sure all the Greek weed you buy is kind of skunky and from what i hear almost all pro growers (aka mafia shitheads) buy seeds from holland now...
So if you are greek and you have some pure greek seed LET US KNOW !

H

HemperorsKnight

Man this is a dead thread I wonder if anyone knows where to find these legendary seeds nowadays I would be honoured to run some and document it anyone recently growing this legendary Greek strain please chime in us here at the mag would definitely love to see blessings

D

dino0907

Red Kalamata

Red Kalamata

This legendary strain still exists.It has become, though,extremely difficult to find it.What you hear about the high, yes all true, and,in my option more potent because of improved cultivation methods, feeds etc over the last 10yrs.But its losing the "seed battle".
These are my two Red ladies at 5ft tall, both 4 month old.Their into their 5th week of flowering.

D

dino0907

Red Kalamata first week of flowering.

Red Kalamata first week of flowering.

First week of flowering

Attachments

• IMG_217327.jpg
    IMG_217327.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 36

Barnos

This legendary strain still exists.It has become, though,extremely difficult to find it.What you hear about the high, yes all true, and,in my option more potent because of improved cultivation methods, feeds etc over the last 10yrs.But its losing the "seed battle".
These are my two Red ladies at 5ft tall, both 4 month old.Their into their 5th week of flowering.

Please let me know ! This sounds amazing

bigbadbiddy

So where to get seeds though?

I mean forget online ordering or whatever I mean let's say you go to the country, how, where? Even to get close I wouldn't know where to start.

In my last visit I clearly smelled the smell when I was going through serpentine roads in the mountains and sure enough, a little more up the road I found a guy sitting in his truck, lights off and some other guy walking in the woods. They did not seem pleased to see my car approaching and shepherds and people like that do carry shotguns around so I wasn't going to risk stopping and chatting them up.

But I feel if you were trying to get these seeds, you would have to talk to people like that, no?

I could barely find anything to smoke, let alone seeds. I wouldn't know where to even begin looking.

Maybe I just have to plan my next vacation in a way that allows me days upon days of combing through the wilderness/wandering mountains and hoping to stumble across a field and that field not being dutch skunk genetics but actual greek landrace ...

Very frustrating

Latest posts

Latest posts