What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best frankincense smelling strain you can buy now?

burningfire

Veteran
I think an haze leaning jack herer might be a good choice, unfortunately it seems most of them haven't been worked in that direction.. especially the ghs one which was crossed to another skunk. yet they still call it jack herer..

Spaventa

Veteran
I don't know if i mentioned this previously but i went to Fiji during my travelling years and the weed there was banging. The smoke was really spicy but it had the Frankincense aroma to the smoke alright, loads. My friend told me Fiji has no landrace of its own as weed wan't native there. I do wonder where they got their seed from whenever that was cos its the source. These were proper IBL tropical sativa trees. I was literally hallucinating, sex mad and STARVING the entire time i was there. One guy speculated Indian genes most likely.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never got more Frankincense than from the Churchy 13week pheno of NL5Haze first few years it was out and Kali mist a bit later...still preferred the NL5H tho'...Loved SilverHaze but it was more Sandalwood sweet spicey,,...The NL brings out the Frank in Haze IMHO cos its much rarer in Haze hybrids with skunk or other Indica's involved. A pheno of Martian Mean Green has Frankie and Sagey,leathery smells that is close to the A5 cuts terp's. Strong too.
The Mysore weed i used to have in '90's was straight sandalwood and honey but more forest fresh than church....Never got much Incense from Kerala's more sweet spicey,minty.
Nepalese hash sometimes smells nag champa too.....as do Wild Kush plants sometimes.
Most Frankish I have tried from an IBL recently was in Bahia,brasil a few years back,it was a strain from colombia originally but they wouldn't share :( It gets grown in the Diamond Mountains and further North In Pernambuco too.

Last edited:

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This paper is one of many available about Frankincense and its volatiles but one I have found useful for terp info ;}

Frankincense Revisited, Part I: Comparative Analysis of Volatiles in Commercially
Relevant Boswellia Species
by Johannes Niebler and Andrea Buettner*)

DOI: 10.1002/cbdv.201500329

Put this /\ DOI no in at Sci-Hub for full paper.

Once you know which combo's of diff terpenes are present in the Incense gum you like best,you can look for strains with terp profiles in the right ball-park as more and more get tested. Luck'n'Lite JBo ;)

Spaventa

Veteran
This paper is one of many available about Frankincense and its volatiles but one I have found useful for terp info ;}

Frankincense Revisited, Part I: Comparative Analysis of Volatiles in Commercially
Relevant Boswellia Species
by Johannes Niebler and Andrea Buettner*)

DOI: 10.1002/cbdv.201500329

Put this /\ DOI no in at Sci-Hub for full paper.

Once you know which combo's of diff terpenes are present in the Incense gum you like best,you can look for strains with terp profiles in the right ball-park as more and more get tested. Luck'n'Lite JBo ;)

i went there a while back. I looked at the terpenes in frankincense and saw that they are present in strains of weed I know for a fact doesn't have the scent so I know its not purely the terpenes. It could be any of hundreds of compounds found in the resin. Whatever it is, its also in frankincense. Sugar for instance, has a powerful, distinct aroma when burning but has no terpenes.

burningfire

Veteran
yeah, I think the HAZE brings the peppery/woodiness and the NL brings the pine/citrus notes.

I have one plant that has some haze, nepalese and pakistani genes in it and some plants are close to frankincense while others nowhere near. I think there's very little chance that a smell like that occurs in an indica or indica dominant hybrid.

madalasatori

Veteran
yeah, I think the HAZE brings the peppery/woodiness and the NL brings the pine/citrus notes.

I have one plant that has some haze, nepalese and pakistani genes in it and some plants are close to frankincense while others nowhere near. I think there's very little chance that a smell like that occurs in an indica or indica dominant hybrid.

I would've said the same but I recently noticed it in some critical mass which left me a bit perplexed

Spaventa

Veteran
Yeah I might try that. The name always comes up. Current Ace regular seed line yes?

checked it out. 16 - 24 weeks. Ive taken Purple Haze x Malawi 17 weeks and it really wasn't worth the time and resources. Ive found GRAIL plants that finish cleanly at 13 (Nevilles Haze) no nanners, and buds were dense. If only I could get a cut of someones old GHS NH.

If anyone grew the regular GHS NH, not the current feminised line, has the silvery, sparkling light green christmas tree phenotype (common then). This one is the keeper and has ridiculous levels of Frankincense that so funky and musky its like the plant version of sex funk when she burns. she can go 14 but i liked here better at 13. I know I got these plants in 2003/4 seeds but maybe any of the regular line PLEASE pm me. We can work something out :tippet:

Ill add that I have no allegiance, connection to or particular love for GHS. I neither know nor care about the politics or personal matters surrounding them. ALL I know is their 2003/4 NH was the best weed Ive ever grown. The bud was better than any bud Ive ever had bought or grown. Ive grown lots of strains by Ace, Serious, Sensi, recent/current GHS, a few clone only and nothing has even come close. I know my memories aren't of a freak sport mutant too because that beautiful best pheno made up most of the females.

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran
Zamaldelica.

I looked at some smoke reports but nobody mentions anything incense related. Ive grown similar stuff from Ace and not inclined to run anymore unless I get concrete persuasion to. I know Panama Haze, Purple Haze x Malawi and Tikal do NOT have any significant levels of funk to the smoke. A hint but thats it.
I believe Ace are referring to something quite different when the use the word "incense" in their descriptions. I believe they are talking about a smell from the buds (not burning) they think is somehow like incense.

burningfire

Veteran
I like ace's gear, oth is something different it's rough but it's true to form, don't expect something like ssh and be ready to sift through a number of plants before finding the one you want.

I enjoyed their punto rojo and that was something worth the wait, you don't get that in stuff like lemon haze, which frankly was kind of a disappointment.

Spaventa

Veteran
IF I WANTED nevils haze i would go to mr nice fuck greenhouse fem only seeds

One guy here ran several packs of MNS Mago haze and Nevilles Haze looking for this particular trait and found none with it. Another guy said he did MNS Nevilles haze and also found none with incense aroma to the smoke.

None of the people who suggest MNS Nevilles Haze in this regard (incense aroma when burning), by their own admission, have ever actually grown it. The only people who have grown it and comment say no incense to be found.

Im not saying theres anything wrong with MNS Nevilles Haze if thats what you remember and liked but its not, by all accounts, what many of us remember and liked about the Nevilles Haze GHS had pre 2004. What they have now, who knows.

Londinium

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember Quaze from Holland had a cut of Nev's I smoked with him and his sidekick 2010/11....that was deffo the "one" but I dunno where he is nowadays unfortunately... But I agree its the old Nev from GH that was best type...for me anyway.

bigherb

Veteran
One guy here ran several packs of MNS Mago haze and Nevilles Haze looking for this particular trait and found none with it. Another guy said he did MNS Nevilles haze and also found none with incense aroma to the smoke.

None of the people who suggest MNS Nevilles Haze in this regard (incense aroma when burning), by their own admission, have ever actually grown it. The only people who have grown it and comment say no incense to be found.

Im not saying theres anything wrong with MNS Nevilles Haze if thats what you remember and liked but its not, by all accounts, what many of us remember and liked about the Nevilles Haze GHS had pre 2004. What they have now, who knows.

If I recall Mns Nevilles Haze stock from 09/10 to date I've experienced 4 different phenos all had incense . The actual bud smell , taste n aroma in the air . It's the closest I've tasted to NYC Haze not from NYC , all after 4 trips to Amsterdam

1luvbigherb

Latest posts

Latest posts