What's new

Cutting edge lighting for 10x10x8 CMH/HPS?

StickyFingrs707

Hey all, it's been a while since I've grown indoors and a lot is changing apparently.
I just set up a large veg tent in my garage and am starting to focus on my flowering room indoors.
I had a friend come over to look at some outdoor I have going and I was telling him about my plans for the Flower room. 4 sealed HPS with 8" blowers, 8" carbon filter in the closet exhausting through the roof yadda yadda...
He laughs and says are you trying to grow the bomb or waste money?
So from what I now understand, and I have read through a lot of the lighting threads on here, is that the guys who grow the most bomb and pulling the most weight of their lights are incorporating CMH lamps.
The room is 10x10x8, or 12x10 if you count the open closet. He thinks I should do 6-8 lights in there and run 750w hps and another type of cmh with a split system ac and seal the room off. I space in my breaker panel for a lot off options here fortunately.
I live in Bay Area and we see some of the most dank strains on the market. I'd like to move into those ranks and grow that stuff eventually. I figure I should start with the proper set up.
So, I'd like to ask for ICMags expert opinion on the matter. What would be the ideal set up with this space?

JJ Lowe

I do 9 Lec 315 in 10x10x8 sealed . Average 5-8 per run depending on strain. Detachable ballast in the garage runs the room a bit cooler.

I been running 50% CMH for a while and i really like them.
I built 2' x 4' tables. Each table gets a 400W HPS and a 315W CMH.

I think I would run two 4' x 8' tables in the center of your room.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
If you have the capacity to cool them, it is very hard to beat Double Ended HPS in open air reflectors:

https://growershouse.com/phantom-1000w-commercial-de-open-grow-lighting-system-120-240v

These can run in 1150 watt turbo mode and keep your plants within 2 1/2 - 3 feet for insane production. For a 10 x 10, I would run 4x 1000w DE HPS with 2x 630w DE CMH of these thrown in for good measure:

https://growershouse.com/growers-choice-horticultural-lighting-630w-de-cmh-complete-fixture

These all are open air with no glass, so you really need to move and cool the air. If you have cool temps in your garage, it will be very easy.

The flip side would be to go all CMH. The real problem with this is penetration into the canopy, but you can get the plants closer to the lights. I think that some commercial growers like CMH because they use less electricity (and take less cooling which uses even less electricity), and thus give a higher gram per watt number. CMH do not magically give you more yield than your space will allow versus DE HPS, but CMH will kick the crap out of the old style SE HPS, especially at lower wattages.

Combining both the punching power of 1000w DE HPS with the awesome spectrum of CMH is the best, but like I said, the DE HPS in open air puts a lot of heat out.

WFF