What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Males on Fem Seeds

weedtoker

Veteran
So it's as the title goes, what are these full blown males that appear on fem lines? Are they genetically male, what will the offspring do, if composed of said genetic material? Any further comments, feel free, just wanna see where this leads...

Cheers

M

metsäkana

never seen on femmed

i had outdoor this year regular auto that was first male and then started budding and making hairs :DD

and i have SMS nevil haze seedling that made only one leaf and ahve not grown in 2 week.. :D that is femmed

maybe someone mixed the seeds

femmed beans i have late bananas as ofthen as on regular stuff i think

femmed beans i have more stem bananas poppin some times than regulars i think

full hermies only rare that have full of balls and hairs

this outdoor plant was weard it growed bud from balls :Dd

So it's as the title goes, what are these full blown males that appear on fem lines? Are they genetically male, what will the offspring do, if composed of said genetic material? Any further comments, feel free, just wanna see where this leads...

Cheers
I'm not sure where you want it to lead, but I can say right now 100% that the crossing of two "true" females, each with two X chromosomes, will never make a true male offspring with an X and a Y chromosome. It's just not possible.

A cross between two females, with at least one with hermaphrodite genes, might create something that makes male flowers, but it's not a male. If you use this so called "male" to breed with, then you will have a classic hermaphrodite seed line.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Of course the other possibility is a true male from a seed created by stray pollen from an unknown male. Now that might be an interesting plant to breed with because you never know what you might get.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, i personally would blame the breeder for being lazy and doing a poor job of selection AND femminizing and i'd not be buying from him again.

...this has happened in my own garden with femmed beans i bought but it has NEVER happened with the beans i femmed myself.

peace, bozo

weedtoker

Veteran
Thank you for putting the time onto this. I've been searchin about this for a while now, my references are scarce as of now, I might have some anedoctal evidence at my hand, also found this on ic, at this forum:

We recently grew out 700 female seeds we did not encounter a single hermie we did encounter three full on males .

There's at least a seedline on the market that is kinda openly spoken about, pops out some males inbetween, often sterile, it seems (no personal experience on that one).

So they do happen phisically, in theory they seem "XY" but will they breed consistently for XY or are we just assuming?

Genetically it seems that we still don't know how to distinguish clearly male, female and inter-sex, and I'm not supporting the use of these freely, but shouldn't we as comunity first test whatever we speakin of, before dissin? I think that is what hard science is, Test/Unbiased testing...

Trying to keep the ball rollin too on this conversation, after all i'm too interested in this. :laughing:

cheers

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Originally Posted by Charles-scott
We recently grew out 700 female seeds we did not encounter a single hermie we did encounter three full on males .

[/FONT]
My thoughts on this is stray pollen. If they are growing out 700 seeds then they obviously have a significant breeding facility going on and there is bound to be stray pollen in the air and on their person.

Cheers

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think there is no question, this is due to contamination. Everything else is just wishful thinking or disinfo.

psyphish

Veteran
I had a connoiseur genetics grandaddy white feminized seed that turned out to be completely male.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
"A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites ? declared males that eventually sport female flowers ? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.

These are the Male's used through out the life of the origional haze and the mystery of it.

It explains about bad and good haze I belive..

- dj short

If it doesnt start making pistils its probably from stray regular pollen or an accidental seed mixup.

Y

Yard dog

"A quick word on "backward" hermaphrodites ? declared males that eventually sport female flowers ? as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites. These are semi-rare occurrences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I have found at times to be valuable in their genetic contributions. Some of the most resinous and desirable males I have encountered exhibited this trait. This trait almost seems to guarantee against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female to male ratio in its progeny.

These are the Male's used through out the life of the origional haze and the mystery of it.

It explains about bad and good haze I belive..

- dj short

If it doesnt start making pistils its probably from stray regular pollen or an accidental seed mixup.

How does DJ know they are male? there could be a good reason why there's more females after he breeds with them....

anyway for the OP;

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=257082&page=3
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231950

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure where you want it to lead, but I can say right now 100% that the crossing of two "true" females, each with two X chromosomes, will never make a true male offspring with an X and a Y chromosome. It's just not possible.

A cross between two females, with at least one with hermaphrodite genes, might create something that makes male flowers, by it's not a male. If you use this so called "male" to breed with, then you will have a classic hermaphrodite seed line.

Cheers :)

There's no such thing as hermie genes.

Thank you for putting the time onto this. I've been searchin about this for a while now, my references are scarce as of now, I might have some anedoctal evidence at my hand, also found this on ic, at this forum:

There's at least a seedline on the market that is kinda openly spoken about, pops out some males inbetween, often sterile, it seems (no personal experience on that one).

So they do happen phisically, in theory they seem "XY" but will they breed consistently for XY or are we just assuming?

Genetically it seems that we still don't know how to distinguish clearly male, female and inter-sex, and I'm not supporting the use of these freely, but shouldn't we as comunity first test whatever we speakin of, before dissin? I think that is what hard science is, Test/Unbiased testing...

Trying to keep the ball rollin too on this conversation, after all i'm too interested in this. :laughing:

cheers

Genetically... We DO know how to distinguish males from females.
BUT...
Females & hermaphrodites are indistinguishable using a DNA test.
Phylos Labs web site is a decent source for info concerning this.

Hermaphrodites are confused females that can't get her hormones straightened out so that she can express as a full blown female.
Sexual expression can be manipulated in cannabis via hormone application.
Males can be made to express female & females can be made to express as male. All it takes is hormone manipulation. DNA is more or less locked down. I say more or less because, to answer the OPs original question, genetics can toss a screw ball at any time. The variety available by Ace, Peyote Purple, has been known to toss a male every once in a while & these are bred using feminizing techniques. Because I wasn't there when the variety was made I cannot speak on cross contamination but I highly doubt that is the case. Especially considering that more than one male has been found, none being off type.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
...yeah, i personally would blame the breeder for being lazy and doing a poor job of selection AND femminizing and i'd not be buying from him again.

...this has happened in my own garden with femmed beans i bought but it has NEVER happened with the beans i femmed myself.

peace, bozo

This has nothing to do with being lazy breeder lol.. Some of the best breeders have seen highly intesexed females(s1 that's express all male traits). I found 1 of these in Cannabiogens Peyote Purple seeds. Charlie is an excellent breeder. Someone just found 1 in the Chiquita Banana s1 seeds I made. 100% guarantee there was no stray pollen.. This is nothing new has been a topic of discussion for years. IMO if a recessive allele becomes dom and the dom allele becomes broken you could find plants that express highly intersex traits(Plants that look male). Will it be a true male no. I would like to see someone pollinate a plant with some and see what the ratio of male/female those seeds produce. There is no selection process when making an s1. Triangle Kush x Triangle kush=s1. No section process is needed until you go to s2. As for making s1/fem seeds this is not rocket science. If you get viable pollen from any reversal thats a good job imo. Finding plants that express all male traits in an s1 is rare it def happens.

I asked Chimera to pop in and discus this again. A bunch had this discussion with him and Tom about 6 years ago?.

Last edited:
M

metsäkana

lol i just got from outdoor checking plants one is 90% female and now pushing 2-3 branches males flowers but other branches are fully female lol

i had similar but it was male pushing female flowers from balls :D

i think some strains are little too picky for finnish outdoor xD

IMG_3183.jpg

i dont have pictures from the male ball female.. :( i was too pissed to take em :D

Y

Yard dog

There's no such thing as hermie genes.

Genetically... We DO know how to distinguish males from females.
BUT...
Phylos Labs web site is a decent source for info concerning this.

Hermaphrodites are confused females that can't get her hormones straightened out so that she can express as a full blown female.
Sexual expression can be manipulated in cannabis via hormone application.
Males can be made to express female & females can be made to express as male. All it takes is hormone manipulation. DNA is more or less locked down. I say more or less because, to answer the OPs original question, genetics can toss a screw ball at any time. The variety available by Ace, Peyote Purple, has been known to toss a male every once in a while & these are bred using feminizing techniques. Because I wasn't there when the variety was made I cannot speak on cross contamination but I highly doubt that is the case. Especially considering that more than one male has been found, none being off type.

I'm not sure about that!, I understand that no one has seen a full blown "true" hermaphrodite in cannabis, however in the plant world they are everywhere, something like 90 % of plants are selfers...
Many think that dioecy evolved from the state of hermaphrodite.
So cannabis is sexually dimorphic, with that in mind and we select for females we are specifically selecting genes linked to that sex chromosome or autosome, you could be selecting for the regulatory mechanism that limits the expression of that plant, ie a sexually antagonistic plant.
Anyway they have found a gene in humans and others called MAP3K1 that does act as an on/off switch for intersex expression. So there is a gene for enabling intersex!...

There's no such thing as hermie genes

Yes there is, and I'd can say that with 100% confidence because I have an sound knowledge of plant biology and genetics. By the way, I never suggested that hermaphroditism is the third sex, only that specific genes are responsible for hermaphroditism.

Genetically stable females & "female" hermaphrodites are indistinguishable using a DNA test, but only in terms of sex, because they are both female i.e. two X chromosomes. They will certainly be different at the gene loci that control the tendency to express hermaphroditism.

Cheers

Last edited:

Betterhaff

Veteran
Not to go too far off topic but since you guys are discussing sexual orientation here’s a paper about papayas. Kind of heavy reading but sheds some light on papaya sexual orientation. Papaya plants will either be male, female, or hermaphrodite, kind of similar to cannabis although the sex organs of the hermaphroditic papaya flowers tend to be more along the lines of being a perfect flower. But this research suggests the sexual orientation is gene related.

Hopefully with things loosening up with legalization this kind of research can be done with cannabis.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/6454233_Sex_determination_in_papaya

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

peace, bozo

not sure how much of an expert you are, but some of the very respected breeders here have had discussions about this in the past, and certain popular fem lines such as Peyote Purple have repeatedly shown 'males' or 'highly intersex females' in their progeny. here are a couple of threads where this has been discussed:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=231950

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=246229

enjoy

VG

Y

Yard dog

^^ Such a shame some of the posts are hidden.... (edit: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-though they may be masked in the parent- will occasionally give rise upon recombination to what you're referring to in this thread - For me when T says a female plant with noted absence of masculine markers/modifiers when selfed her progeny will contain very few intersex plants is not always true for the reason he puts below)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"They're not males ime, but highly staminate intersex females. Cannabis plants (sex) are controlled first by the XY system, but secondly (expression) by (often environmentally triggered) modifying factors located on autosomes, or pseudoautosomal regions. A female plant with a noted absence of masculine type modifiers can be said to be strongly female. When selfed her progeny will contain very few if any intersex individuals. The opposite type of plant (a female with a noted abundance of masculine type modifiers) -though they may be masked in the parent- will occasionally give rise upon recombination to what you're referring to in this thread. But they're not really males.-T"[/FONT]

Last edited: