What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Taking cuttings from flowering plants (AKA Monster Cropping) - Question

tilopa

I have some outdoor mothers that I unwittingly let slip into flower, probably only 10 days in, and I need to take cuttings asap. I've read the "how tos" but still have a question. And I've actually tried this once before but it took over a month and ended up only about 25% rooted, so I'm hoping to achieve better results this time.

My question is, when taking the cuts should I try and cut out any buds. In looking at them close up the very top node is budding. Should I cut that node off, just like if I'm topping a veg plant? Or should I just leave the buds?

Any other tips on how to have a better success rate is appreciated.

I wood

A small bud rooted like a normal clone has worked well for me. This rooted in a couple of weeks and put out normal growth immediately.
The other few times rooted buds sent many shoots out that were gangly and took weeks to get normal. H2O2 sprayed at about 1% helped a lot, even saved a few that got a bit of mold.

Snipped the bud off and smoked it a week or so after picture.

RockinRobot

The key with flowering clones is that for every week it was in flower it will take that long to revert to veg. If they have been flowering too long they may not re-veg at all dependent on strain. Latest I've personally ever managed to clone a flowering plant was 4 weeks into flower.

I always took clones with a little popcorn bud on top. Remove any lower buds but leave that little one on top.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
put the cutting in dark for 2 days , it will reset then 247 light, it will reveg faster, remember it is alive and lives by light cycles. puff

SuperBadGrower

I have had to do that a few times. I would recommend not damaging them at all, and not putting it in too high humidity (a dome). the bud can rot and host diseases or whatever happens.

These are all rooted, from then on it's just patience. If you zoom in on the new growth you can see the reveg is just happening.
rooted.jpg

they tend to look a bit worse than normal clones:
rooted2.jpg

All in 50-65% RH (ambient)
10 days in, no problem mate. You don't need a guide, just confidence ;) cut off the stem and stick it in your preferred medium.

RE: damaging/cutting I leave you with this. I'm sure one can extrapolate.
Rplot.png

plot2.png

(2018, Vegetative propagation of cannabis by stem cuttings: effects of leaf number, cutting position, rooting hormone and leaf tip removal)

X

xavier7995

I have some outdoor mothers that I unwittingly let slip into flower, probably only 10 days in, and I need to take cuttings asap. I've read the "how tos" but still have a question. And I've actually tried this once before but it took over a month and ended up only about 25% rooted, so I'm hoping to achieve better results this time.

My question is, when taking the cuts should I try and cut out any buds. In looking at them close up the very top node is budding. Should I cut that node off, just like if I'm topping a veg plant? Or should I just leave the buds?

Any other tips on how to have a better success rate is appreciated.

I leave the bud. Normally I take two clones from each plant a few weeks into flower in case some seem awesome and I want to run them again. I haven't really noticed much decrease in my success rate taking early in flower vs still in veg. There is a bit of a stall and period where they look ugly as they revert to veg.

I dont do much fancy, I tend to use bottom branches that I determine won't amount to much. I get a small cup of coco and wet it down thoroughly, then push it down to compact it a bit and squeeze a bit of water out. I use some sorta tool or stick to make a hole in the coco to drop my clone in. Prep whatever rooting hormone, it helps with the success rate, currently using some powder from home depot, but i don't think brand/type matters much. Clip off a bottom branch at the stalk, i keep the top two or three leaves and the growth tip, clip leaves in half. Trim stem to desired length, i go with a 45 degree angle for the cut, and gently scrape the outer layer of the stem off with side of scissors. Dip in rooting compound and then drop into prepped hole, press growing medium in as close to stem as possible. Stick it under a dome for 1-4 days depending on climate, then give it a week or two. I do not normally need to water them until they have rooted. Water lightly if you notice them dry out.

tilopa

Thanks, but this thread is about revegging, I'm asking about cuttings.

put the cutting in dark for 2 days , it will reset then 247 light, it will reveg faster, remember it is alive and lives by light cycles. puff

Hmmm, resetting huh? Kind of like resetting your light timer? I guess there is a certain logic to that...maybe. But I like the idea of leaving them on 247, that is as opposite from 12/12 as you can get.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran

From my experience you want to leave bud sites on the plant to reveg because the revegatative growth actually develops from the center of the flower where the stem is. The more I leave on my plants to reveg the better success rates I have. Also have noticed that if I remove the bud sites too soon after the veg growth has begun, the plant has a difficult time uptaking water due to decreased photosynthesis.

I had thought perhaps you could get some clarification on whether or not to trim the bud.

As your clone depends upon revegging eventually, I was trying to be helpful influencing the decision to trim the bud or not.

I certainly don't feel like it wasn't worth the contribution, but I can't worry if you don't really read it and draw any correlation at all.

As for a higher success rate, I'm going to suggest cutting clones from plants that aren't flowering quite yet but still after introduction to the flowering light cycle.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I just took cuttings out of two G13Hazes that had been blooming for few weeks with buds starting to form and those rooted in about a week in jiffy pucks in 20/4 light cycle. Straight from 12/12 to 20/4.

Just take some cuttings out of the lower branches and try rooting them as you'd normally do with cuttings off a vegging plant. 10 days or few weeks in bloom shouldn't be a problem at all.

RockinRobot

I had thought perhaps you could get some clarification on whether or not to trim the bud.

As your clone depends upon revegging eventually, I was trying to be helpful influencing the decision to trim the bud or not.

I certainly don't feel like it wasn't worth the contribution, but I can't worry if you don't really read it and draw any correlation at all.

As for a higher success rate, I'm going to suggest cutting clones from plants that aren't flowering quite yet but still after introduction to the flowering light cycle.

If the clone has a bud at the very top, leave it. If it's a larger clone and also has lower buds, remove the lower buds. The little bud on top will turn into many branches. If you trim the top bud the clone will grow a single stem.

Taking clones like this at about 3 weeks of flower has been termed MonsterCropping and will produce very bushy plants.

They should root as quickly as normal but will take time to revert back to veg. Usually takes as long to revert to veg as was already in flower. So if they were 3 weeks in flower figure at least 3 weeks before you see any new vegetative growth.

tilopa

I do appreciate the contribution, every bit helps. I just wasn't sure if you were aware of the difference in the two threads.

roybart

I guess I am monster cropping as all have been cloned in flower (Mother 8 weeks old).
I run 12 /12 lights so it will not revert back to veg.
yes they are bushy but buddy too. That girl is due to be tied down and send some buds straight up.
Here is another that has been migrated to a big bucket.
She was a bit of runt compared to the others

Here are some clones (Mother 9 weeks old) I just spray twice a day and try to mange the humidity 60% and 85 degree ish temp.
My water is 650 PPM and pH of 7.0 and its loaded with calcium. Then after 2 weeks or roots hanging go to regular food.

4 weeks after clone

In another weeks or so I will strip the bin down to 3 buckets and LST the crap out of them.

I m not saying this the best or perfect method, but its working so far.

Latest posts

Latest posts