What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mold on roots 3rd failing crop in a row

Burlapin

my last 2 crops failed when the stem above the hydrocorn turned to mush and the plants slowly died. now this time around there is what looks like mold growing out of the net pots and one of the stems are starting to get mushy
water temp at about 62 in the res before it circulates
ph 5.8-6.5
PPM 1600
temp is around 89 im unable to lower temps at this time of year

ive been adding peroxide but the problem is getting worse and seems to be spreading to the other plants. Im not sure what i could change to get things back in order but any feedback would be appreciated

here a pic of the root zone
https://imgur.com/a/jZLJX9i

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You have fungus spores in your grow equipment somewhere. You need to break it down and super clean everything. When a person gets the same results after 3 grows its time to stop and completely disinfect or change the way you grow. Spores can lie dormant for years just waiting for the right conditions to regrow.

Last edited:

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would sterilize everything, scrubbed clean. It seems like this problem could be airborn but i dont know your filtration setuo. If you dont have filtration get it, if you di have it maybe refresh them. If you have consistent bad bacteria in the root zone I recommend looking to your water first. Do you run ro? If not is it filtered? Uv sterilized? Are you running a completely sterile setup? If so, i converted from sterile back to a synthetic / organic combo in dwc. When there is no good bacteria in the rhizosphere(root zone) if bad bacteria or fungus gets in its over. Ogbiowar is badass. Hydroguard from botanicare and hygrozyme are all incredible and in combination with uv sterilization completely stabilized my grow. I havent seen root rot in years, although your problem looks different. I think those products and overall room sterilization will help a lot. Best of luck! :tiphat:

bigpeter

I agree with Crooked8 [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hydroguard from botanicare is good stuff. Its[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. I use it all the time combined with a root stimulant. [/FONT]When its added to soil or hydroponic solution it begins growing on plant roots. It creates a symbiotic, or mutually beneficial, relationship with plants. In return, the bacteria protect the plant from the nasty's.

Burlapin

im unable to get hydroguard in Canada but it looks like i can get my hands on some hygrozyme. i dont have any air filtration system or filtered water, thats something ill look into. im gonna start by sanitizing everything and getting some of that hygrozyme. thanks for the advice everyone.

Burlapin

found a product i can get in canada that contains Bacillus amyloliquefaciens called Orca Premium Liquid Mycorrhizal should be here tomorrow so for now just sterilizing lowering temp and crossing my fingers

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how are you getting rez temps of 62F without a chiller. Is your rez in a different room?. 89f will def heat your rez. you need a chiller if your not using 1.. There's a bunch of products you add to the rez to keep that shit from starting like rez clear.. You really have to pay attention to details with hydro setups. If you know someone running hydro talk to them, duplicate there setup. You def need to clean everything well before you try again.

IMO, Switch to soil medium. Its much more forgiving. Everyone new to canna growing should start with a few soil crops before trying hydro.

Burlapin

there is a chiller running next to the res. been running the system for years it only just started having issues this past year or so and ive been running in circles trying to solve it.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uv sterilizer for your water, hygrozyme, everything sanitized beforehand and youre off to a better start. Hydroguard is truly great i hope you can find a comparable product. Ogbiowar is really great too at creating a healthy root system. If you just go from a hose to a tallboy filter to a uv sterilizer you really prevent future contamination of the water. I had no idea how big a deal it was until i had to switch from ro when i moved.