What's new

How much does a gas cooker ring raise CO2ppm

tiffa

Does anyone have a CO2 meter to do approximate measurements for how much a cooker raises CO2 in a room or house - It could be handy when I cook a stew!:tiphat:

Just to be clear, I don't need any other info around CO2 such as background CO2, safety, formulas or exact sq/m covered.

Forum rules
6. Off Topic Postings: Post remarks that have nothing to do with the subject of the forum will be moved or deleted at the discretion of the moderator.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=280

St. Phatty

you have to specify the size of the room (volume) and the amount of methane (is it methane ?) burned.

Then you get to use the old high school chemistry formula

PV=nRT

to calculate the volume of CO2 gas created.

plus you need the formula for the burning of the gas to create the CO2

e.g.

X*CH4 + Y*O2 ==> heat + W*H2O + Z*CO2

burning hydrocarbons generates water too.

prune

Veteran
a lot more than you would think and well above recently researched biological trigger points. I remember levels in the 700ppm range in a 1500 sg ft home with one burner on low in winter. it also spreads through doors and floors, so you're not safe anywhere...

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Buy a meter. Only way to know for sure. Mine is reading 851ppm right now, with zero supplementation. Best to first know your ambient reading.

tiffa

a lot more than you would think and well above recently researched biological trigger points. I remember levels in the 700ppm range in a 1500 sg ft home with one burner on low in winter. it also spreads through doors and floors, so you're not safe anywhere...

Thanks prune:tiphat:

tiffa

you have to specify the size of the room (volume) and the amount of methane (is it methane ?) burned.

Then you get to use the old high school chemistry formula

PV=nRT

to calculate the volume of CO2 gas created.

plus you need the formula for the burning of the gas to create the CO2

e.g.

X*CH4 + Y*O2 ==> heat + W*H2O + Z*CO2

burning hydrocarbons generates water too.

Thanks, I'll specify an average US or UK house 2500sqft and a room of around 4 or 500 sq/ft. I'm after more qualitative real world data such as Prune has said, rather than quantitative formulas that dont account for variables such as gaps and cracks in the building so it isn't the kind of scenario that can be measured/predicted.

tiffa

Buy a meter. Only way to know for sure. Mine is reading 851ppm right now, with zero supplementation. Best to first know your ambient reading.

Brilliant Shmavis. You hear people say that by just by being in an average house with a grow, it raises the ppm, I wonder if that's what's happening in your house? Yourself or a few people breathing CO2 increasing background levels.

I've seen the flame on CO2 generators and how many square feet 4 6 or 8 burners are needed for x amount of space. I look at my cooker rings, and 2 on medium looks equivalent to a 3 or 4 burner generator.

Here's the good news - I'm vented (turned down for winter a bit) and my 2 ring burners on my cooker is always on. even so, I'm seeing 40-50% faster bigger growth. My hypothesis is, it's raising CO2 enough to make a huge difference.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks, I'll specify an average US or UK house 2500sqft and a room of around 4 or 500 sq/ft. I'm after more qualitative real world data such as Prune has said, rather than quantitative formulas that dont account for variables such as gaps and cracks in the building so it isn't the kind of scenario that can be measured/predicted.
No, but it gives you a guideline/starting point of what the max "could" be. Besides... most propane stoves come with warnings not to be used indoors unless proper ventilation is provided, because of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning!

tiffa

No, but it gives you a guideline/starting point of what the max "could" be. Besides... most propane stoves come with warnings not to be used indoors unless proper ventilation is provided, because of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning!

You're presuming propane, it's butane, with adequate ventilation. That's why I asked for no safety advice and yet you still give it which is off topic.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
.l. YOMIL

The only difference between Butane and Propane, is its boiling point. They both produce CO. Loose the tude dude!

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forum rules
6. Off Topic Postings: Post remarks that have nothing to do with the subject of the forum will be moved or deleted at the discretion of the moderator."

Google is your friend
[/FONT]

tiffa

.l. YOMIL

The only difference between Butane and Propane, is its boiling point. They both produce CO. Loose the tude dude!

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forum rules
6. Off Topic Postings: Post remarks that have nothing to do with the subject of the forum will be moved or deleted at the discretion of the moderator."

Google is your friend
[/FONT]

A working butane gas cooker with adequate ventilation does not produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. This is why I asked you for no safety advice (twice) so I can only presume you are harassing me. Your replies are inaccurate, scaremongering and constantly off topic, stop harassing me and leave the thread.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
when my girlfriend's cooking on a PROPANE- off topic burner, I've seen my room spike to 1600 but it will also spike from 2 people working together in there breathing but that's off topic too, sorry! (Mods please don't ban me)

tiffa

2 people working together in there breathing but that's off topic too, sorry! (Mods please don't ban me)[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is off Topic, I already knew, that's why I didn't ask about people adding to CO2 levels. That's why the rules exist.

Thanks for the the info about the CO2 jump during cooking though, very interesting and very helpful.