What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna Coco A+B RO Water

A. Jones

Greetings everybody.

Im using canna coco fertilizer together with canna coco coir substrate.

Plants are under a Led COB lighting.
My water source is of a high ec 0.8, from which Ca is 70 ppm, and Mg 10 ppm.
ive been diluting it with Ro water 50/50, and still managed to fail dialing it in.
Tried adding aditional calcium and magnesium, but it didnt seem to solve to problem at all.
Further in the flowerimg stage, the plants start showing all kinds of deficiencies. Ive tried flushing, upping dosage, reducing, you name it.
So i figured it is propably the tap water.
I decided to go pure RO, but reading through all the Canna coco RO topics got me confused. Some people use just RO with Canna A+B and swear by it, others say its impossible without additional Calmag or the dilution with their tap water.
I can run side by side 2 reservoirs to test various options out.

How would you recommend to treat the RO water?

Ive got canna mono calcium and magnesium, biobizz calmag and atami calmag.

All recommendations and advices are greatly appreciated.

Fixer

I just added a table and started growing under white LEDs. I don't use Canna but I go with straight RO water, nutes and MG/Cal under the LED's. I had all sorts of deficiencies until I added the Mg/Cal. Good luck!

A. Jones

Have you been adding CalMag under HID? Or the additional Ca Mg was needed only under LEDs?
I was told that if i add too much Calcium, it will screw up the cation exchange and reduce the intake of Mg and K. Which kinda looked like that.
But on the other hand, when i didnt add extra Calmag it started showing deficiencies right away.

Fixer

I use a common feed tank for both my HID and LED tables. I was not using any MG/Cal under HID but shortly after I started growing under the LEDs I added Mg/Cal to correct a deficiency. I'm using General Hydro Flora series with Lucas formula. I don't feed over 1000ppm (I was at around 800ppm before I started adding Mg/Cal) and haven't had any issues with deficiencies since I started adding it. I'd just add the prescribed amount of Mg/Cal for whatever brand you choose and not worry about the cation exchange.:)

A. Jones

I made 250ppm calmag + RO solution (thats what they recommend on the bottle), and then added the nutrients.
In a few days we gonna find out how it goes.

bigpeter

my tapwater is 250ppm, I add 7ml of house and garden cocos A&B per gallon which brings ppm up to 450. My run off averages 650ppm and I find this a very good feeding regime. As long as run off is never more than 300PPM than what you're putting in you will be sweet. Have a look at my last grow - industrial plant.

touringfunkband

my tapwater is 250ppm, I add 7ml of house and garden cocos A&B per gallon which brings ppm up to 450. My run off averages 650ppm and I find this a very good feeding regime. As long as run off is never more than 300PPM than what you're putting in you will be sweet. Have a look at my last grow - industrial plant.

Have you ever tried a watering regimen without run off?

A. Jones

10 days into using pure RO, im adding 250 ppm calmag, Canna coco A+B and a little bit of ph up. Ph is stable and everything seems to work fine.

BigPhil

Veteran
No, to me its important to know whats going on in the rootzone. I've seen others do this with no runoff on ICMAG but it takes skill to be able to read your plants that way.

I was down 25% with no run off. I was just lazy and got sick of draining off the run off. I would not recommend it myself. Plants did suffer from it, I wouldn't call it skill but Lazyness yes!. Like you said you need to know what's happening in the root zone and that you are not letting salts build up

BigPhil

Veteran
10 days into using pure RO, im adding 250 ppm calmag, Canna coco A+B and a little bit of ph up. Ph is stable and everything seems to work fine.

My tap water has the same E/C as you and I use A+B but never really need cal mag till week 3 or 4 of flower, But I hear LED makes plants Hungry for the cal/mag

bigpeter

I was just lazy and got sick of draining off the run off.

I had a custom stainless steel tray made with a tube tig welded at one end, the tray was at a slight incline. All the waste drained into a bucket under the tray. No hard work involved :)

But I hear LED makes plants Hungry for the cal/mag

Since I started using a coco specific nutrient ( H&G cocos ) I have stopped using calmag completely.

touringfunkband

I was down 25% with no run off. I was just lazy and got sick of draining off the run off. I would not recommend it myself. Plants did suffer from it, I wouldn't call it skill but Lazyness yes!. Like you said you need to know what's happening in the root zone and that you are not letting salts build up

Phil, are you saying your yield was down 25%??

Latest posts

Latest posts