What's new

Just another "runoff" question

Medley

These are 4 week old from seed, cocogro coco, 5 gallon pots still in Veg..Have been doing (per gal)

2ml Armor Si (silica for pH up)
4ml Cocotek bloom A
4ml Cocotek bloom B
4ml Calimagic

and (mostly irrelevant)

3ml Diamond Nectar
1ml Orca

pH was 5.7-5.9 and EC was around 1.0 - 1.2 (500-600ppm)

5 gallon pots, watering 1.5 gallons each once a day, getting 0.5 gallons runoff.

Plants slowly started yellowing, developing what looked like mutiple deficiencies, so I figured the above solution was too weak and maybe pH a little to low for Ca/Mg uptake.

Anyways, I decided to check runoff since the plants weren't looking good and going downhill.

I also, at the same time (stupidly) decided to switch to my old tried and true 5g/gal Maxibloom, 3ml/gal calimagic recipe since I never had issues with it before.

Input was 750ppm, 6.2pH.
Output was 320ppm, 5.4pH

Usually a drop in pH that much means OVER feeding and that the runoff EC would be high from excess salts flushed out, but this is opposite? :dunno:

So, the huge drop in EC made me think I was wayyyy underfeeding. The next day (also stupidly) I mixed a 7g/gal Maxibloom and 5ml/gal calimagic batch.

Input- 1250ppm, 6.2pH.
Output - 630ppm, 5.6pH.

So even almost tripling my input EC, I still got a huge 600ppm drop in the runoff, and again a drop in pH.

I watered the past 2 days with the same 1250ppm and keep getting the same 500-600ppm DROP in runoff...this would mean the plants are super, super underfed in theory, or the coco CEC is way unfulfilled, but now I'm getting what looks like very obvious OVERfeeding signs on the plants. I've been running at least a little calmag since seedling so I can't see how the coco CEC is not satisfied enough to be pulling 600+ppm out of the solution either.

This doesn't make any sense to me...help?

hyposomniac

Veteran
Here's one thing that stands out to me..
4 weeks from seed in a 5gallon pot.
1.5 gal of water a day.
That's lot of water for what's probably a sparse root system. There's debate on whether you can overwater coco, but I think that's what's happening.
Also Water/coco chemistry is probably dominant over rootzone chemistry, which is a theory and idk wtf is goin on.
Try a slurry test, good directions on canna coco website.

I would transplant my way up to a 5gal pot of coco..
something like.. beer cup> 3 to 4 liter container.. then to the 5 when the previous one is nice and full.

Latest posts

Latest posts