What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TJO's 2020

theJointedOne

Veteran
Hi everyone,
I’m particularly interested as to how you’ve set up the light string TheJointedOne. I’m sure l remember Butte setting his up right above the plant, on fifteen foot centres, one for each plant. I’m pretty sure that he recommended 35W cfls, from memory, as the minimum amount of light per plant.
Would you mind if l ask you to elaborate on your design, particularly the number of lights and distances per plant from the light; also light intensity obviously plays a significant role along with the evolution of LEDs.
Butte, Tom Hill, Mendo, BYF, Butte County, Ganja Rebel, Shcrews....etc...etc :tiphat::thank you:
Cheers,

From my experience they dont need a ton of light to interrupt flowering. Its a very basic setup, that took me a few hours to setup. I use 12/2 romex, outdoor rated sockets, and some wire nuts. As far as bulb type, most stores dont carry the compact flouros most of us are familiar with...nowadays its led's that have most of the market. So I use 100w "equivalent" led bulbs, I forget the actual wattage i think they are 16w, and I look for "bright white" as opposed to "daylight" rated. I put the power cord on a mechanical timer, starting at 2:30am and stopping at 6:30am, i take it down 15min every couple days till im in line with the sunrise.

This year I didnt hang them above the plants but rather I strung the line through the garden, to utilize one bulb that lights both sides of the aisle so to speak. And the spacing is setup so 1 bulb lights 4 plants each if that makes sense I have them maybe 5' from each plant.

yea big up the outdoor icmagfam, i miss those guys posting up on here, but i know they are doing their thing and still repping the herb with pride and respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6aB2xqVuZA

Well I ended up planting the garden tonight, it was a little windy but nothing the girls can handle.

Heres the ladies pulling up to the show
picture.php

Some root action from simple ocean forest and mykos. I definitely break up the roots during transplant, but i do it gently as to try to maintain as many as possible
picture.php

Got a little cloud cover which was perfect, although it was a tad windy..but the ladies took it very well so far.

Seeds are single planted and the clones are doubles.
picture.php

Last edited:

40degsouth

Thanks TheJointedOne, l appreciate your response.....a lot.
most people wouldn’t know that Butte was the first person to do the experiment of sup-lighting and now it’s standard industry practice. What an example of following your thoughts and making it real.
l miss those guys too, it totally changed my life and the way l see the world but most importantly, soil.
I’ve noticed a new thread trying to correlate the information of the original “Growing Large Plants Out Doors” thread. I feel it’s a part of cannabis history that can’t be recreated, unfortunately. I took a lot of notes, that l still refer to.
It’s a pity Tom Hill pulled all his posts.
You were there, l was there, with the anonymity of a lurker. Not much else to say.
:tiphat:
Cheers,

BYF

From my experience they dont need a ton of light to interrupt flowering. Its a very basic setup, that took me a few hours to setup. I use 12/2 romex, outdoor rated sockets, and some wire nuts. As far as bulb type, most stores dont carry the compact flouros most of us are familiar with...nowadays its led's that have most of the market. So I use 100w "equivalent" led bulbs, I forget the actual wattage i think they are 16w, and I look for "bright white" as opposed to "daylight" rated. I put the power cord on a mechanical timer, starting at 2:30am and stopping at 6:30am, i take it down 15min every couple days till im in line with the sunrise.

This year I didnt hang them above the plants but rather I strung the line through the garden, to utilize one bulb that lights both sides of the aisle so to speak. And the spacing is setup so 1 bulb lights 4 plants each if that makes sense I have them maybe 5' from each plant.

yea big up the outdoor icmagfam, i miss those guys posting up on here, but i know they are doing their thing and still repping the herb with pride and respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6aB2xqVuZA

Well I ended up planting the garden tonight, it was a little windy but nothing the girls can handle.

Heres the ladies pulling up to the show
View Image

Some root action from simple ocean forest and mykos. I definitely break up the roots during transplant, but i do it gently as to try to maintain as many as possible
View Image

Got a little cloud cover which was perfect, although it was a tad windy..but the ladies took it very well so far.

Seeds are single planted and the clones are doubles.
View Image

Solid work bro glad to see this go down.

I have some catch up to do I guess.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Hi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-8veNE0CX8&list=RDIq2MMb2MjzE&index=20

Well I still havent got the drip in, but I did get all the parts. Also got a roll of concrete remesh so hopefully ill have cages up no later than a week from now. I'm kinda pushing it time wise on the cages, much longer they will be hard to wrangle in, although its not my first rodeo.. :shooty:

So far growth is ideal, I topped all the seed plants just because..figured wider better than taller..more branching and budsites...

heres some fresh pics

picture.php

88g13/hp pheno of jungle spice
picture.php

and a betsy chem in the back, sherb bx in the front
picture.php

till next time.. :rtfo:

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Those plants are thriving for sure, and in massive containers like that, the harvest from each plant will be measured in poundage.

When Norcal growers speak, discerning growers worldwide take notes.

Pulling up a chair as an impartial observer, and wishing smell-o-vision had been invented already.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Morning pics

Morning pics

Good morning, beautiful weather here in northern California this morning. Temps are going to rise this week as we enter the second half of June. Got the seeds caged up, clones will be caged tomorrow evening, then it will be time to put some Hortinet through the cages as a support layer.

Jungle spice
picture.php

Cherry fritter aka Sunburn
picture.php

Going to start doing some concentrated compost tea soil drenches soon, as well as a botanigard es soil drench. Ipm sprays soon as well.

Have a great day

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts