What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kernow Guerrilla

moritzst

hey,

those autos will work out well in this size holes, also first choice for more frequented spots....the soil looks better than you said, i would give it a try mixing the better parts of it back in the holes...bigger rocks sorted out of course, even though rocks keep roots cool and also moist... and watch out with that granular fert, theres a lot of N, of course a lot will be washed out, hard to say.... safer to stay organic in my experience.... well, maybe u could experiment different holes keep it up

greez

Big Eggy

Veteran
hey,

those autos will work out well in this size holes

They are bigger than that look in real life.. im guessing 60litres as i carved out the sides around the middle of the holes.

The soil looks better than you said

Trust me it's not.. it very similar to MOT Type one, just lumps of rock and gravel. If i could let you know where I am it would make more sense.

With regards to the granular ferts its a balanced 7-7-7 that I've used in the past, bit of a habit from my days studying with the RHS but has worked well in my garden and MJ.

Time will tell as to how effective it'll be in this set up.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Hi there,

I've done a fair bit of coco outdoors. You will want to feed quite a bit, because the rain will wash out your nutrients. It doesn't hold nutrients super well. I liquid feed mine on a timer, so a bit different. I have also mixed feed in and it worked okay, but you will want to reapply for sure.

I had no luck with budget autos, I gave a go at it but was pretty disappointed with the results. Small plants and not the best bud. I probably planted too early when it was too cold however. You really need them in over the summer months.

I'd be top dressing the plants with a cup blood and bone every month.

Hopefully the budget autos have improved since my last trial. I don't know what your climate is like either. For me Dutch Passion Ultimate was the better than the budget autos, but even still, I probably wouldn't go there again. Not trying to be negative, I just need more than a few ounces a plant.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hi Pumpkin, Thanks for stopping by!

I've mixed the coco with loam based compost at roughly 50/50 ratio, I decided to add the coco just to lighten the mix a bit... I expect to be feeding fairly often and have a box of Fish/blood/bone on hand for topdressing.

Because of the rocky ground I expect to be watering/feeding quite often.. I'll be able to visit as often as needed thanks to the location.

The autos are secondary to the main crop (Purple Maroc - Femaleseeds.nl) i may not run them at all, but if i do i'm thinking of digging a trench for a group of them.. gonna see how the PM's go and make a decision in mid May.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Coco will retain moisture and lighten a mix great. Just be aware that 50% your mix won't hold nutrients as long term, and adjust accordingly. It should be fine and your plan sounds fine, just watch/listen to the plants and let them tell you when they are hungry I guess.

That "bone" in the blood and bone will release slowly, so it is a good idea to add it early so it is available as soon as flowering starts. The blood will wash out relatively quickly.

Pumpkin

Veteran
I think your loam will hold most things pretty well though (and provide a great range of nutrients). It's just worth being a bit aware of is all. Since you season is super short also, I'd be feeding pretty regular. I don't want to encourage you to go too hard on the paint. I think it is a great choice as a soil amendment though.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Cheers Pumpkin I'll take all that on board, for the UK I'm pretty in a good position at 50.+ degs without being too specific. We rarely get a hard first down here but being coastal lots of rain. I studied with the royal horticulture society up to module H about 15 years ago, the next step was a botany masters but my dyslexia stopped me going further as Latin naming of plants, pest, fungus, and desieses was more than my spelling could handle. Mm
I Appreciate all the input though as this is gonna be a tricky grow given the soil structure (if I can call it that), it's almost a semi soil hydro outdoor guerilla grow.. The challenge should be fun.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Forgot to add we have life! Will call this day number 1.

Too lazy to work out how to flip the pics sorry.

picture.php

picture.php

They will have to go in the greenhouse in the morning as its the best chance they will get some light... Might be able rig a old CFL in the garage for the night.

PureSativa420

You can always train and tie up your plants to make them Lower and more bushy if you fear they'll out grow the head space

Looking good on the holes and sites picked!

Good luck and Happy growing!

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hight shouldn't be too much of an issue but I prefer to top early to have four main branches... In the past this has been in pots in the garden with bamboo canes in the corners of the pots, I'd like to keep these looking as natural as possible so will see how things pan out.

That said femaleseeds.nl say these can reach 300cm which is a bit bigger than I'd be happy with.. The limited root space the poor soil provides might help in the respect.

'Boogieman'

I add up to 10% vermiculite in my holes and it works out well. I'm going to add biochar at roughly 10% this year to help with water retention. Have you considered adding sphagnum peat moss to your holes? Good luck.

moritzst

hey,
pics show up straight on your computer but you still have to edit them... just turn them 4 times, they again stand straight but are now edited.... then ic checks out the direction...

for autos i recommend hoypares planting trick using full coco pots(0,4L), when roots penetrate he puts them directly into the ground without any transplant shock.... will try this myself this year... :D

you are germing quite early...

greez

Big Eggy

Veteran
you are germing quite early...

Just to be clear these two (purple marocs) are not autos they are regular photo plants.

They'll live in the greenhouse for the next month with Tomatoes & Chili plants.. I can supplement light in the evening till next morning.

The South West is a little different from the rest of the UK and enjoys very mild temps where many plants can grow that you wouldn't expect to see elsewhere, there is very little chance of the night time temps dropping below 8-10 degrees Celsius in the greenhouse now.

Gregg

RudeDog

Veteran
Hope you don't mind me showing some photos Eggy...I grew Purple Maroc a few years ago, well 10 year ago....This is what I got, chopped end of October.

Wasn't disappointed with anything I got from that greenhouse.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hope you don't mind me showing some photos Eggy...I grew Purple Maroc a few years ago, well 10 year ago....This is what I got, chopped end of October.

Wasn't disappointed with anything I got from that greenhouse.

Hey RudeDog they look great!! thanks for posting. Looks like they lean towards the Sativa side of things more.

Whats was the bud structure like?

Eggy

Pumpkin

Veteran
If your plants reach 3m I will seriously eat my brains out :) It's just hype, or conditions that don't exist in reality. All my autos were pretty short and delivering 1-2oz at best. I should have planted them later in the season, maybe it would have been better. But people growing these strains are normally not in ideal environments.

I think the greenhouse sounds pretty positive. I have never grown in as extreme environment as yours. But I imagine that if you have a clear plastic roof covering your plants from rainfall, and open sides to let the air flow, you could extend your season considerably. It's pretty location dependant if you can even attempt that. but in an ideal world, that is what I would like to do.

Big Eggy

Veteran
Hi Pumpkin,

The Purple Maroc is not an auto, i'd would be surprised if it reaches 3m though.

Also I won't be growing them in a greenhouse like RudeDog Im just going to be getting them to a size where the can hold their to the elements.

I wish I could use the greenhouse but it's defiantly not gonna happen, My Mrs found the seeds in my pocket while we were surfing last week and told me straight.

I'm guessing from the size of the holes i'll be looking about 1.8m, yield is not of much importance to me as I've not smoked for years.. what ever i get at the end of the season will be just fine.. I'll probably just be taking the best buds and leaving the rest.

Eggy

Big Eggy

Veteran
Been to the site this morning to fill the 2nd hole with some dirt and things.. I guessing form the amount of stuff what has gone into each they are about 60litres each, they'll need a little more compost to fill them which I'll take up when I transplant the plants.

Here's the plants this morning in the greenhouse, sun is up again :). I've put them outside today just to get some air movement to strengthen the stems.

Will probably pot them on tomorrow as the tap roots are now poking out the bottom.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pumpkin

Veteran
Ah man, looking forward to what comes. I hope you fucking kill it! I have no clue about your climate or stuff, but hit me up if I can help. I done a lot of outdoor coco. Different to what you are doing, but I may be able to trouble shoot.

Latest posts

Latest posts