What's new

Outdoor Pollination Chambers. How to do that? Possible?

romanoweed

Hy

Hey im having like 8 Strains i wanna pollinate Outdoors. Having 8 different Growspots, 1 km/mile appart from each other is abit rare to have. Even if i have 3 spots wich might be possible, i need 3 years to have all Strains pollinated itselve.

Now my question, did anyone managa to build a Pollination Chamber outdoors that worked?

I imagine some transparent material , wich i glue perfectly together. Dig it into Dirt abit at the bottom.

There are two concerns: 1: its more windy, so if there is only a slight hole, i rember from collecting Pollen at home, all the Pressure cumulates to a far stronger Pressure if there is one little Hole/Exit only.. And pollen easily exits under high Pressure. Very dangerous. 2: i might have bigger pollination Chambers than indoors, cause i might not have that intense sunny of a climate, they strech, how i will apply a collection-device, if i have such big chamber..?

romanoweed

I envision something like that:
picture.php

I could build something myselve, unless i dont wanna pay 10 000 d.. Im also thinkeng: i should better build it with solid plastic, caus strong winds would put so much pressure on all the glued Edges, aswell as put pressure and on the chamber, would be big Problem..

I could place a spray bottle inside:
picture.php

when having multiple males.. if i choosen one male (from look?) i could then kill all unwanted males, spray everything nicely from up to down after say 2 weeks from killing them to deactivate pollen. I wait another week to collect the choosen males bollen.
Then i put pollen it into a moisture-proof Container. All Happening inside the Glovebox. Spray again, and voila: i have pollen in a Container. Place it into sealed Females Box, and voila : Pollination done

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does it have to be outdoors? What I generally do is transplant the chosen males into containers and bring them indoors. Then I collect pollin and apply to lower branches only of the outdoor ladies using the good old paint brush method. Not sure how big your outdoor plants are, but if they're as big as mine, pollinating the whole plant would give you about a zillion more seeds than you need. Even a few lower branches of a 'tree' could yield a thousand beans.

Transplanting males indoors sounds harder than it really is. I begin by chopping males back considerably as soon as they show flowers. That prepares them for a root pruning. If you want, you can do the trick tree growers do and drive a shovel down in segments a few days apart. I usually aim to get them into 1 gallon containers for the move.

Sorry to sound like I'm trying to change your mind on this romanoweed, but building an outdoor chamber just sounds like a whole lot more work to me! If you're determined, just ignore my rap :)

romanoweed

The only big benefit of bringing them indoors would bee the absense of wind, but how you wanna collect pollen indoors without chamber? Again: my plan is to pollinate 8 male/female couples.. at same time. I dont know how you wanna "milk" pollen properly simultanousely. Put pollination bags on them? someone thought it is not 100 percent proof with bags. you would actually have to glue the bag around the stem to be shure... dont know if plant survives that and how Long..would be alot cheaper

And just working in open space(paintbrushing females next to each other) is too dangerous. i Need something more save

Last edited:

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oops, yeah I left out the collection part! Putting bags over the branches is the old Robert Connell Clark method and doesn't really work very well. Simplest way is to put newspaper under each male and let the pollin drop. Just fold the paper into a V and pour the pollin into a jar. Fresh pollin is quite moist and heavy, it just drops straight down even if there's a little air movement. Another way is to hot glue a small jar lid to the end of a chopstick and hold that directly under the male flower and tap the flower with another stick. Pollin drops straight into the jar lid. You can just carry the lid (with your hand over it) to the females and get down with your paint brush. Enough pollin to cover the bottom of a bottle cap is plenty enough even for 6 big females.

Your point about bringing males indoors is actually putting them in a chamber is true. But, it doesn't need to be some airtight closet. A corner of your bedroom under a fluorescent light is fine. I just put smaller males in the window next to the african violets.

romanoweed

Sounds very risky for me.. i work with 8 se asians. how i wanna know even if accident happend.

But thanks, the heavyness of pollen brings me on new idea.. probably build a windproove single room .. somehow i would have to move very slow to not cause any wind .. hmm . Mechanical collection..? hmm

Last edited:

romanoweed

But why does the Pollination-Bagcollection not work? I think its clear, cause if there is a small distance between the Bag and Stem, then like described there is a strong pressure at this Little gab.. I think glueing is waht i will would fix that problem..

The idea would be:
put a bag over male mainstem, gue it thight. cut away lower branches.. wait, then you have one single of this Gloveboxes i showed. You just cut one Pollinationbagged male with the male in it below the glueingspot, bring it into Glovebox, place pollen into a waterproove Container. All inside the Glovebox. Spray Water inside Glovebox. voila

romanoweed

While overthinking everything, i realise i dont Need complicatet male collection.. Atleast Female Seaparation i Need right? Then i tought, its actually muuuch easyer to move the choosen Male1 into the Female1 Tent..

look:

when my males are showing signs of starting to flower,

picture.php

i place them fast into a own female tent to wich it belongs early enough: So each tent contains one Male (MaleNR.1) plus one Female (FemNR.1):

picture.php

This couple will then be left for marriage. The couple has to be autark, so once sealed inside it has to get a electrical filter to let air trough but no pollen (i think there are filters for that?). Aswell as some Underground watersuply (underground pielines with holes).

So: for each male/female couple you actually need one tent, and you dont have to doo anything once placed the male into the female tent , just wait, probably shake the tent abit, so pollen flys inside. Just be shure to not miss the right Moment. EVERY MALE WILL BE BROUGHT INTO TENT BEFORE ANY FLOWER OPEN . Shure it will be even harder to choose your favourite Males, without to even see it flowering.

therevverend

Veteran
My buddy uses a large turkey bag, I'd call it a version of the RCC method. Puts the male flowers and pollen in it. Then very carefully slides it over an entire branch. Ties it off and shakes it, then leaves it on for 12 hours. Shaking it several more times. Very carefully removes it.

He's able to make 500-1000 seeds at a time with this method on large branches. You need to do it on a calm day, if it's a little bit windy you're asking for trouble. Not a bad idea to have a hose or spray bottle on hand in case a poof of pollen escapes. Takes a bit of practice but it's the best method I've seen for outdoor pollination. I tend to use q-tips but it doesn't produce nearly the amount of seeds the turkey bag produces.

As far as collecting the pollen, I separate the males from the females of course. Carefully remove the branches covered in flowers and pollen and set them in a brown paper bag. Leave the bag half open for a couple days to dry the leaves, limbs, and pollen. Then label and date and store in the fridge. Lately I've started taking the brown bag in the patch with me, carefully transferring the pollen to the q-tip then rubbing it on a nearby plant. May need to graduate to a paint brush to make more seeds.

romanoweed

About the Ventilation System to provide airflow: watch this threads first post: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=46076 He uses just a Ventillator, wich every Hobby/Electronics store should have. 12v Volt vent , 12v car battery should fit.. Place just some filter on it. Then i read concerns about Pollen passing trough that mesh. Fact is Cannabbis Pollen is around 20 microns acording to that thread. And most Vacum cleaners Filter are 10 microns or smaller they say! (you probably dont know vacumcleaners have this filters, cause you never exchanged it, haha. But every normal Vac-cleaner has it, and you should Exchange These from time to time) so you should look for filters with 10 microns or smaller. I would also create hole to let in Air INTO the greenhouse aswell. Someone claimed his filter has let pollen trough one time, so: no garanty, but if you work propper, and really use tons of glue, cause there is to say it again: high pressure at Little Gaps especially by the Ventilator , then it should theoretically work. ! olle!

One importent Thing: this mesh should be cleaned eventually with fingers from time to time, cause it shure attracts dust and pollen with time, so watch out for that, and dont place it to low to the Botton of your greenhouse for shure..

Sam skunkman told he used something like waterdustsprayers after the filter, but i mean this is probably bit to advanced for me..

SolarLogos

I've thought about this same problem Roman and I have considered putting a male with a female side by side, them putting 4 stakes in the ground, twice the height of the two plants, then wrapping them with industrial clear plastic, leaving the top open. I wouldn't think that pollen would get out the top, while letting the plants breath. Just in case, I wouldn't put them all side by side, spread them around a little.
Right now, I keep everything in pots and when a male is close to dropping, I bring them indoors into separate rooms. I have a desk at a window in each room and I put a large mirror or a picture with glass under the plant to collect pollen.
OTH collecting pollen

I put a plastic bowl with perlite under the pot to collect water when I water them, so I don't have to move them or have them leak onto the floor.
I like a really fluffy brush, like a woman's make up brush, about a quarter inch wide, covers the pistils really nice.
Peace, God bless

romanoweed

ok lettig the top open.. not to bad of an idea, every "advance" electronic part could make Problems. i Kind of like your idea in this regards, still not shure if your assument are right.. problem could be strong windy days.. you shoud atleast just have a couple holes up there to let in water and bit of air but not to much unnessecary wind. right. aswell: plastic could also even attract pollen cause statically charged..
Problem could ba also bees, or flyes.. so atlest put a bigger mesh onto it.

Know what? Why not build one sidewall/roof out of mesh. Found some stainless steel mesh. Im shure the wind will generate the nessecary airflow. here : They Claim to sell 10 micron and 5 micron stainless steel mesh.. do you believe that? How can they build that..?
picture.php

One Thing: one should probably install even a secound plasticwall infront of that mesh, but with Abit of space between the mesh, and secound plasticwall to just prevent strong winds from generating unnessecary turbulence inside the sealed Box

Last edited:

Hookahhead

They Claim to sell 10 micron and 5 micron stainless steel mesh.. do you believe that? How can they build that..?

Woven Stainless Steel Wire mesh is a surface-type filter media. It is made by weaving specific wire in predetermined patterns to form apertures of different shapes and sizes. Another type of ss wire mesh is Muti-layers sintered metal mesh. It is sintered by two or more layers(2~12 layers) of stainless steel wire mesh, which are compressed and sintered together in vacuum. Its micron rating ranges from 0.5 micron to 300 micron.
https://stainlesssteelwiremesh.us/stainlesssteelmesh/micron-stainless-steel-wire-mesh.html

romanoweed

If one could genetically test the resultet Seeds (while replanting (Sampleleaf)) then i actually would preffere Greengenes Idea. I believe that his Approach works 98 Percent of the Time, so if i could test some Little Leaf and map the DNA.. then i could spot if there was some Seeds wrongly pollinated.

Do this with evrey single Plant and you are save.. But i guess i cant afford that. I just work with SE Asians only, so its really a bit to vague, to just use the Eye as Controllinstance..

Del_9_THC

I have pollinated using the bag and shake method, indoors.

I would hate to be responsible for fucking up someone's outdoor crop with seeds.
I would be pissed off if my lovely sensimilla garden got seeded and what's worse not even knowing the cross....could be ditch weed pollen or whatever.

romanoweed

Trying to find a easy to do solution:
I could just temporarly install a wrap around each coupled male-female Pairing, . Abit like that, just that i let the top open
picture.php

Advantages: to glue a Square-shaped Separation i have 4 Ends to glue, but this way i could even wrap it many many times, and make multiple glueing-lines, each round one. That way i should easily get it perfectly sealed with bathroomsilicon or so..

Ad one two, vertical Sticks to stanbilize it , double height of the male. (use solid greenhouse-platic)

packe them as Close as possible. the closer, the less deep wind could reach into it. YOU COULD ALSO TILT THE LAST BIT AWAY FROM WINDDIRECTION..?

St. Phatty

I put male plants in a corner where they are protected from wind and have several barriers between them and the main plants.

The main plants are about 75 yards away from the area where the male plant is.

The main plants ended up very lightly seeded.

romanoweed

st phatty good Information.

I have roundabout the same experience. The distance for a middle strong Seeding, is around 110 Yards for a open Field with no Barriers. A plant just next to the Male was compleetly full of seeds from same Male, same year.

Latest posts

Latest posts