What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Government regulated cannabis is gamma-irradiated

shaggyballs

Veteran
It is no news that gamma radiation is utilized by companies that produce medicinal cannabis flowers in countries with national medicinal cannabis programs, such as The Netherlands and Canada. A recent study, published by Arno Hazekamp, Head of Research and Education at Bedrocan International BV, has sparked a discussion again, because the procedure remains controversial.

Pharmaceutical regulations demand gamma radiation treatment of herbal cannabis in order to meet strict safety standards regarding the (possible) microbial contamination of the plant.

However, patients, consumers and activists remain skeptical and express concerns about gamma radiation.

According to the research of patients’ organizations, like Canadians for Safe Access, one of the side effects of gamma radiation is the production of a new type of chemicals, which don’t occur naturally. Cancer-producing chemicals can develop as well, when fat is exposed to the procedure.

Derrick Bergman (known from Encod and VOC) has published a paper with the clear title “Medicinal cannabis in the Netherlands: most patients prefer coffeeshop over pharmacy”. In the document he expresses that some patients claim gamma radiation has negative effects on the quality of medicinal cannabis, while Bedrocan states that the process is a demand of the Office of Medical Cannabis.

The Dutch patients’ group PGMC (Stichting Patiënten Groep Medicinale Cannabis Gebruikers) points out that said study is missing the answer to one very important question: What happens to the irradiated products when vaporized/smoked or eaten?

Gamma-irradiated cannabis would have sterile seeds.
Could this method be used to control the cannabis seed?
Canadians are already forced to get your seeds from health Canada..WTF

Please people don't believe everything the man in the suit tells you! Please do your own research and decide where you put your money and who u are directly affecting by the choices you make in the shops and online...is your money going to local farmers who are trying to do good? Or are you supporting the 'mono culture' thats killing our environment, freedoms and Biodiversity.
Its your choice! People have the power, they just need to wake up!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is meant to prevent the potential greater harm of infecting a patient with harmful microbes. In my paper several sources are cited where this actually happened. It is weighing two ‘bad’ choices (risk of infection vs. irradiation) and picking the most sensible one. We should all hope for the development of new sterilization techniques for cannabis in the near future."– Hazekamp

So, imagine it could/would affect seeds. So, with that method of decreasing harmful microbes, cloning may be the viable alternative.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I've handled quite a bit of radioactive substances. Exposing something to gamma radiation does not mean that the substance is now radioactive. It is possible to make something that was previously stable to become unstable but gamma radiation won't do it. Gamma rays are actually very similar to X-rays. The fact that they're both a type of ray and not particles is a pretty good indicator. I believe the difference is basically that one is produced with electricity and one is the product of unstable atoms'N shit! lol the damage they both cause to DNA is very similar.

The point being that the bud isn't radioactive just as we aren't radioactive after receiving an x-ray.

It does do a number on seeds. Exactly what, depends on a ton of things. Mainly the dose and the state of the seed during exposure. The closer the seed is to being totally inactive, the better its chances will be. DNA can repair itself pretty well to a point. It seems that it takes a lot less to affect a seed that has been "awakened" or begun germinating then when it is in a state of suspended animation. I'm sure time is an issue as cells are dividing compared to when they are dormant and unless the dosage is so large that the DNA is damaged beyond repair, if given a small amount of time, I believe they can repair a lot of damage. Again, what exactly a large enough dose is..... who knows. I know that I've hit seeds with some VOLTAGE and when they were exposed while in a dormant state they seemed less affected (germination may have been postponed) than when exposure took place after germination had begun.

I understand the fear people have with this type of stuff. It's probably a healthy fear, because that shit is gnarly. The truth is that it's not that complicated a subject though. A dash of google will go a long way. I found that shit facinatinting.

Something that does amaze me is the amount of x-rays people get over a life time. I agree that x-rays are a godsend to medicine but I think they're over used. If you ever break the shit out of your leg, the doctor will first order an x-ray to see what's what. Then they'll cut you open, screw this to that and sew you back up. They will then order another x-ray be taken. That second X-ray is for shit! They wouldn't have closed you up if they weren't done and they already know what the xray is gonna reveal. It's taken for insurance purposes. Ask your doctor if that follow up X-ray is completely nessasary, because there is no safe doseage. Zero!

Edit:I'm sorry, I missed the part about "new chemicals" being produced. That's something I know nothing about. All apologies!

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
not sure what type of radiation was used, but have read that irradiated seeds are more predominently female sex. isn't MOST, if not ALL, cannabis grown these days seedless unless you are breeding for seeds? if it makes it safer for patients by killing mold etc, i don't see a problem. some people though... "THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!" never waste a chance to panic, or to try to panic others.:tiphat:

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I don't recall ever hearing that irradiated seeds produced more female plants than males. It might be true though. I feel comfortable saying that I've read nearly every paper out there and more than a few textbooks having to do with subject of mutating plants, it's remembering what I read that's the problem! lol

I'm all for safe cannabis. I guess the issue is if exposure to the radiation is causing the contents of the resin to transmutate into something that could potentially cause harm?

It seems easy enough to figure out.

First test a sample, then irradiate the sample, then retest the sample. It seems if the results are off then..... some scientific shit is going on!

My guess is that no change to the chemical makeup of the resin takes place.

I'm almost willing to bet that this has been looked into before.

Mr. J

That's exactly what my weed has been missing all these years. Gamma rays. It's a good thing somebody thought of it because it wasn't until they did that I realized I want my weed to be blasted with gamma rays. That man is a genius.

therevverend

Veteran
All imported agricultural products are irradiated. Including the stuff from Canada and Mexico. Half the produce at the grocery store. They're not going to make an exception for cannabis. If radioactive maple syrup, coffee, and tomatoes haven't killed you I doubt the ganja will. You could grow your own...but coffee and mangoes don't do well in my climate. And I like my winter Romas.

MindEater

My guess is that no change to the chemical makeup of the resin takes place.

I'm almost willing to bet that this has been looked into before.

I'm sure it's great for the curing process.

Grow your own. Until your 100 years old and bed ridden, then finish yourself off with some triple sprayed double pasteurized homogenized government weed.

Hastings

All imported agricultural products are irradiated. Including the stuff from Canada and Mexico.

Canada does not sell gamma irradiated milk domestically. And I wonder if we export irradiated milk, considering at least at the Cornwall border, it's a friggin lineup of just regular milk trucks carrying what we call "pasteurized milk". Do you have any evidence or credible reference for that?

There is a law here that says selling unpasteurized milk is illegal due to food safety concerns. That might be great, but no exception for certain traditional cheese makers who which to sell. But Canada has an exception for the European market for raw milk cheese. I don't think the USA does though?

clearheaded

this is more or less a guess but perhaps tilray or other party did side by side testing and irradiating can cause decrease of up to 30% if memory serves me right.. it certainly doesnt help nor does sitting in 1 gram containers for months prior to sale and perhaps why folks note such none smelling stuff. I myself found wether it was sprays they used to use or irradiation process that they came with a palsticy smell.. havent tried much since banning sprays so hard to say esp as some was recalled in the only medical days of LPs.

This is a good option for aids and cancer patients that cannot risk taking in any more toxins! some are able to pass without irradiation which is great but pass and zero% is a different thing. its a great option for those who need such a product. but certainly isnt helping quality for rec market, may very well halt curing or allow it to be colonized easier by the bad guys once the person cracks it at home and has it for a few months as doesnt have the natural "protective biome".

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
One of the side effects of gamma irradiation is the production of Unique Radiological Products (URPs); these are a new kind of chemicals as a result of radiation that does not occur in nature. Of note in gamma irradiation of whole plant cannabis is the potential production of 'cyclobutanones', toxic carcinogenic chemicals that form when fats are subjected to gamma irradiation ( http://safeaccess.ca/research/flinflon/ ) and associated with the development of colon cancer in rats (Raul et al, 2002 / http://safeacces.ca/research/flikflooien/Radiolytic_Compounds.pdf ) Gamma irradiation also destroys terpenes such as myrcene and linalol (Fan et al, 2002 / http://safeaccess.ca/flinflon/Fan_Cilantro_Irradiation%20.pdf) that contain therapeutic properties and are found in high concentrations of some strains of the whole cannabis plant (McPartland & Mediavilla, 2002). Terpenes may also play a significant role in the synergistic effect and bioavailability of THC and other cannabinoids (Russo E & McPartland J 2001. Cannabis and cannabis extracts: greater than the sum of their parts? See also: Russo E Taming THC, 2011 )

troutman

Seed Whore
Why do I suspect this is more to make mold infested LP Cannabis so-called safe for customers.

Grow your own and cut them out for good. :tiphat:

Galaxy420

@troutman Sad to see the Gov taking over the cannabis trade... one day it is illegal thenthe next they own all rights

Latest posts

Latest posts