What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nitrogen flushed jars for long term storage

I'm thinking about nitrogen flushing 2.5 gallon glass jars for long term (6-12 months) storage once they've dried and cured for a month or so. I see online that many dispensaries and manufacturers are using this process, it makes perfect sense to me.

But there seem to be persistant rumours floating around in NorCal/OR that if you do this, the product will turn brown and bad within days of opening the jar for the first time. My thought is that perhaps these people jarred it too wet still?

It seems like it could be a good little service to offer to farms in the area. Buy the jars in bulk ($3-5 each?), and charge maybe $20-30/jar to package it all up for them. You could do 100+ jars for a $10-20 tank of nitrogen. The 2.5 gallon jars easily fit the fluffiest of pounds. They could squeeze 2 of some denser stuff in there. Even with market prices crashing, that seems like a totally reasonable price to keep a pound or two tasting fresh til May. Everyone knows you can get (often $200+) more for a fresh tasting pound in May than November.

Raho

Veteran
use oxygen absorbers (google it)
added benefit: they will pull a vacuum on your jars too for a better seal.
no idea about the rapid oxidation on opening after long storage.

Latest posts

Latest posts