What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX's Workshop 2017

Goats

I'm super excited too, I just planted my cover crop last night. I'm still debating what to run in there. I'm either going to run Skywalker OG clones, or starting to search through my Ancestral Skunk#1 seeds. What do you guys think?

Guess that depends if you're in the mood for a hunt or for some Skywalker :biggrin:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm super excited too, I just planted my cover crop last night. I'm still debating what to run in there. I'm either going to run Skywalker OG clones, or starting to search through my Ancestral Skunk#1 seeds. What do you guys think?

Search through those seeds!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Guess that depends if you're in the mood for a hunt or for some Skywalker :biggrin:
Now can't I have my Skywalker and smoke it too? I may have a plan for that below.

Search through those seeds!
That's what my inner voice is telling me too.

You may remeber I was running a perpetual SOG in one side of the workbench for a while and got tired of the work load. I would clone six plants a week. Once new growth was seen, three would get transferred to the SOG and three would be harvested. Watering all those plants by hand was also a lot of work. I was also not in compliance with my plant count when I was running the SOG. When the screens consistently out performed the SOG, I decided to switch both sides to screens.

Now my cycles are not very regular and I miss the more frequent harvests. So, I am thinking about running the whole workbench as one perpetual system. I keep six plants in each side, so if I put two in every three weeks, I should be able to consistently produce nine week varieties. Every three weeks six plants of a single variety will be cloned (it usually takes three weeks to get good roots with my micro method). After rooting for three weeks, they will be put into a party cup to veg for another three weeks. After three weeks in the party cups, the two best will be transferred to the pots and screens (the remaining will be gifted or culled). After three weeks of training in the screen, they will be moved to the flowering side. After nine weeks flowering, they will be harvested.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The party cup hempys are starting to get thirsty. They need to be watered every morning, and I may even be able to bump it up to twice a day. The flowers are starting to show, and at least one is starting to smell dank and sweet. The Crystal Candy seedling is starting to get it's second set of leaves. Soon it will take off and I will start the CS treatment.
picture.php

The Jilly Bean clone is still doing it's crazy fascination thing. Notice how there are two sets of leaves on every node? Then there are two buds sites forming on each side as well. The other clone is going to make a cool mother plant. I topped her once and am waiting to get a bunch of clones off of her.
picture.php

Here is a shot of this side of the cab. The two on the right are a bit taller, and have that sweet tangerine smell on the stem rub. The ones on the right have more of an earthy smell with a hint of orange, but is also a bit shorter and has fatter buds. From now on, this side will be where I flower. I have room for two more before the back two are done, so it shouldn't be empty in there for too long.
picture.php

On the other side are the Bubba Kush S1 clones. As you can tell they look quite bad, and they are not drinking. I ran twice my normal volume of RO water through them last time I watered them. They had runoff of 900 ppm, but only about 7.0 pH. They aren't drinking still I doubt they will pull through, but they have a few weeks before I throw them out. If you look closely you can see the little seedling in the bottom right of the photo. From now on, this side will be where I veg my plants. I think I will even get a 4200K MH bulb for this side to match closer to the 6500K spectrum of the T5HO.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
picture.php

My cover crop is already starting to sprout. I could get high and watch them grow all day. :biggrin:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I'm so excited my new Bubbleman Trinity pen came today! I wasn't expecting it for another week. The box is simple and elegant. It comes with a trinity tank, a Bubbleman battery and a USB cable for charging. The size of the tank and battery was smaller than I expected. I also ordered a second tank.

picture.php

The intention is to use Blue River terpenes with your rosin to make "terp sauce". I was buying terpenes online for a while, then they stopped selling them in the US. I would have preferred to use it as intended, but am experimenting with off-label use.

Tony V. alluded that you could heat up the rosin in a hot water bath, suck it up with a syringe, then fill a tank with that. I first tried a coffee warmer and a small glass container, but I likely wasn't patient enough. I ended up putting the rosin in the back of the syringe and pushing it through with the heat from my e-nail.

The results were sloppy but successful. I have a few ideas of what to do different next time. Tony mentioned decarb, so I think that might be a good idea. I saw lots of bubbling as I heated it up in the syringe. I also have some bud that makes super terpy rosin that I will try the next tank with.

picture.php

I have several pens by UP tech. On the left is the Herculese. Its a decent wax pen. It holds about 0.8 grams and hits fairly hard. It does have a tendency to burn the rosin if you're not careful. It also seems to need about 0.4 grams to "prime the wick" after a cleaning. The way The tank comes apart makes it pretty easy to clean, and I've been able to put several grams through it before needing to clean it again. It's pretty easy to fill. The form factor is another issue, it is huge.

In the middle is the O-phos pen. It's also a decent wax pen. It has a ceramic cup with a titanium wick. Refilling it is pretty easy, but it only holds around 0.1 grams or so. The form factor is awesome, a little pen that is very discrete. It won't get hot enough to burn the rosin, though sometimes takes forever to heat up. The element on mine burnt out, so it is out of comission until rebuild my coil. The Trinity pen has replaced this product.

Finally we have the trinity pen. Hacking it to work with rosin is a pain for filling it, but I got quite ripped last night testing it out. The form factor is good and I haven't gotten a burnt taste yet. I will use it at work today and see how it goes. Right now, if you can't get the Blue River terpenes I'm not sure if it is worth the hasstle. I'm looking forward to trying it some more.

picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The party cup hempys are doing quite well. They are about 36 days from seed. They are getting fed twice a day the Lucas formula at pH 5.8 - 6.0. Pretty easy grow. I can see doing a couple of these in bigger containers sometime.
picture.php

The cover crop is doing really well. I'm having more fun with the clover than I should. I had an aloe plant die on me, so I decided to put them in the corners (decoratively) and let the soil eat them. I debated fermenting them :biggrin:
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I started a new thread for these Ancestral Skunk#1 seeds, you can follow along here.

After a soak for 24 hours, all of the seeds sank. Three or four were cracked already.
picture.php

The seeds will go in my new no-till bed. The cover crop is already come in nicely. The cracked ones were carefully placed in the middle under the COBs. The rest were scattered randomly about and slightly covered. They were the watered in with a little bit of B1.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
A couple of days ago, I picked a peck of prickly pears. Yesterday I sat down at my desk and they smelled sooooo good. I decided to pick some more. I only took fruits that were on the ground, so they were all pretty ripe. I brought home and weighed them. I did not wash off the microbes before I cut them up into pieces big enough to fit into the growler. Then I weighed an equal amount of brown sugar and slowly mixed it in with the fruit. I have always used molasses and water for my fermentation. In some KNF papers, I was reading about how they use brown sugar and no water. The idea is that the sugar will pull the moisture from the fermentables due to osmotic pressure. I didn't realize how fast that would happen. As I started to stir and mix it turned into an awesome smelling jam texture. This was added to the growler, a bit of LAB was added, and the air lock was put on.
picture.php

I got a new oscillating fan for my cab. It is perfect for the small size of this cabinet. I'm still trying to control the temperature better in the cabinet right now too. It's running a little cooler than I would like at 66-72F. I know this will need to be adjusted when I increase the light level.
picture.php

The only problem with the fan is it has some blue LEDs behind the buttons. That's OK, time to get out the drill and destroy those LEDs. See the holes? It's not like I can't tell that the fan is on or oscillating without them.
picture.php

R

Rageous8899

Man this is a clean workshop. What kind of inline fan are you using? Im in the market and id like to get one that lasts

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I've got both the Active Air and a Vortex. Both are great fans. I have an S&P somewhere, but felt it was too small.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Got to spend some time in the garden this weekend. The first thing I did was trim my mother plants. They have gotten larger than I normally would because I was trying to get rid of some bugs and wanted the extra foliage as a store of energy. Now that they are healthy, they can be hacked back. This is what they looked like before.
picture.php

I hacked them all back and took clones of everything. This is how they looked after. Here you can see the mom in the background, some rooted clones in the middle, and micro clones up front.
picture.php

I was reading up on biochar and how to make it. I saw videos of people making it with huge 55 gal drums. A few more videos and I heard about "rocket stoves". My dad made a small one of those! So I grabbed a stick from the yard waste and broke them in about six inch pieces, then stuffed them all in the stove.
picture.php

A small fire was started at the top, and burns down. As it burns, it heats the wood until it out gasses and then that gas is burned. It's very efficient and clean burning.
picture.php

Once the stove begins to smolder, I soaked the stove down with the garden hose and dumped out the charcoal. I will soak it in fish fertilizer and let it dry back out before storing it.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
The bubbleman pen chronicles continue. I got my pen a couple of weeks ago now, so I have some experience with the device. Overall, I'm starting to like the pen though it does have its flaws. I'll go into those later.

At first, I was less than impressed with the pen. I was able to melt some Zak Haze rosin and get it in there, but it was buttering up and sticking to the sides, so I lost quite a bit. Now this tank with the Zak Haze rosin worked and tasted pretty good and I was somewhat happy about it. Later the tank broke in my pocket. Luckily very little rosin leaked out and I was able to repair it. This has happened one other time, so now I make it a practice to remove the tank before I put it in my pocket.

I had ordered a second tank, so I filled it up with some Cannatonic rosin. This was easier to get in there, but the tank never hit. I would try and try, and it would just get hot with no vapor. If you hit it a few times in a row, you might get a small hit and the rosin would bubble bubble bubble. One time I hit it so many times, the o-ring blew and most of the rosin started bubbling out. It was quite a mess. Another time I hit it again and again trying to get hit and the battery's protection circuit went off. It refused to charge. I let the battery alone for 24 hours and it was able to charge.

While the battery was down, I noticed the tank had a piece of paper thar read "do not use more than 14 watts to power the tank". It got me thinking, is this a standard 510 thread? Yes it is! So I put the tank on my 510 battery and set it to 14 watts. If you have a 510 battery, you could just order the $14 tank. :biggrin: I decided to add some PG to my tank in case the rosin was too thick. these are designed to be diluted after all. I got a few hits from it, but did notice my rosin was quite dirty (a lot of small pieces floating around). So I decided to clean that tank well. I need to test it with some VG to make sure it will hit before re-loading it with some rosin.

Well I killed off the Zak Haze tank and decided to clean it. I was able to fix the tank further after it was clean. It's a press fitting and I was able to get it to stay pretty well. When listening to Hash Church where Tony mentions you can use rosin, he started by saying you had to decarb it. I believe this serves two purposes. First, it was decarbing in the tank and causing all the bubbling. Second, THCA is what butters or shatters up, so by converting to THC, you are able to keep the rosin in a more oily texture. So I pressed out a gram of Zak Haze rosin and decarbed it at around 200*F for 20 minutes (until the bubbling stopped). I did loose some terpenes, which I guess kind of defeats the purpose, but it has been hitting like a train and tastes as good as hitting the decarbed rosin on the nail. Been hitting this tank all week.
picture.php

The bubbleman pen chronicles, volume III.
So I decided to try this second tank again. I'm starting to think the problem is with the tank. This time I decided I did not want to decarb first because I lost too many terpenes. It is quite effective, but the taste leaves something to be desired. So, I pressed out about a gram of Juanita la Lagrimosa rosin. Next I put about 1/2 gram in my glass syringe and began slowly adding it to the pen. I used my e-nail to melt it into the pen and got it full. I decided I would try and be "smart" and get the bubbles out using a heat gun. It worked great, honestly, it was about smooth as glass and I thought, just a little bit longer. Then all of a sudden, the tank pops and takes off like a bottle rocket. I have no idea where the rosin went, I cleaned a small amount up. Note to self, heat gun is too hot. So I used the other 1/2 gram and got it in there. This time I just left it. I'm trying to get this tank primed without blowing it up for a third time. After an entire day and several battery recharges, I am finally starting to get a hit out of it. To be continued....
picture.php

Volume IV:
Over at PsychedelicSam's Another Tincure Thread, Try it You'll Like It, we were discussing terpenes and the True Terpenes company came up. I was impressed with their extraction techniques. They use organic sources with vacuum distillation to extract non-cannabis derived terpenes. They offer them as individual terpenes and strain blends. I did a bit of digging and found their VISCOSITY product. It is a flavorless, odorless terpene mixture to liquify extracts. At $20 (+$15 shipping) for 2ml, I decided it would also be worth a shot. I may order a few more of their individual terpenes for tincture recipes.

I decided to check out blue river for US sales and noticed they are now selling through the W9 Tech (the makers of the pen) website. So another $89.99 later I got me 0.25ml of Cheese Quake terpenes! think I just bought the last one because it says out of stock on the website now. :biggrin:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
I was watering today and noticed a different looking leaf, another seed popped. That makes five, or 10% as advertised.
picture.php

Here is the Crystal Candy that I have been spraying with CS daily for two and a half weeks. She/he is **not** happy. I can't tell if she/he is turning into a full blown male yet. She/he is about 4 1/2 weeks old, so definitely stunted.
picture.php

The rest of the girls. They are about two and a half weeks from seed. They seem a tad over fertilized to me. Next time they will get water only. If the Crystal Candy doesnt reverse I will use some more of that Lowryder pollen i have in the freezer.
picture.php

Bubbleman Pen Chronicles volume V

The other night I got very frustrated trying to get this other tank to work. I would hit it and hit it and all I would get was lightheaded from sucking in so much. I finally decided it must be defective, so I called fresh headies to see if they would replace it. After explaining what was going on, they told me I would have to call W9 Tech since I'm in the US. W9 Tech was closed, so I had to wait until yesterday.

Yesterday morning I call them and again explain what is going on with the tank. They tell me I need to email support with a copy of my invoice and a description of the problem. So I send them an email and they replied a few hours later with instructions on how to prime the wick. I performed the steps several times and had no luck. So I reply again saying I had no luck.

While waiting for a reply, I decided to clean the tank again. This time I noticed some debris so I cleaned it until the alcohol remained clear. I also scraped the four holes where the pumice wick was with a needle. I filled the tank with PG and let it soak for 30-40 minutes.

While I was waiting I got a reply that they were sending me a new tank. I repeated the priming steps and this time it worked! It really worked well. So my wick is now primed. My True Terpenes shipped and so did my Blue River terpenes. I need to get pressing more rosin. I decided to try some sasquash bags (35 micron). I lost too much using the coffee filters. I could make bubble hash first, but that really lowers yields IME.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Well, it's getting about time to pull down the mainlined Jilly Bean girls. The mainlining technique worked ok, but really isn't suitable to vertical growing. They are at nine weeks, and probably a bit early, but I like to take at nine weeks the first time I grow a cultivar. The trichomes are mostly cloudy with a few clear on both plants, and both plants are frosty as fuck. I'm fairly certain that Jilly Bean 2 is going to be the keeper, she has the scent of tangerines. The structure is fairly uniform with Jilly Bean 4 being a bit more stout. Yield should be similar on both plants. The real winner will be seen once I press some rosin and smoke it :biggrin:

Jilly Bean 2
picture.php

picture.php

Jilly Bean 4
picture.php

picture.php