What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Black Magic golden Tiger

Black Magic golden Tiger

This is some golden tiger I harvested in May 2018.
Just dug it out from the cellar yesterday.
Very energetic other worldly effect, super man flying grass.
I felt super confident afraid of nothing and brimming over with energy and a lust for life bordering on manic ha ha.
The sort of high where you just want to go out and experience life as if its for the first time, a real out of body experience.

Aging has brought out something very special in this weed.
Something only Malawi brings to the table.

picture.php

funkyhorse

Tangwena, looking on post 4.878 on your other Tangwena thread:
I ended up with similar results to the picture SweetSue shows when I fermented on vacuum jars
For fermenting the zipper vaccum bag is the easiest and most effective way, at least for me

I have two different types of vacuum jars and they have different uses
The vacuum jar style like the picture SweetSue shows is good for storing buds(or cobs) long term in the fridge. Just glass cure it to your taste and then store them in this vacuum jar in the fridge
It keeps them in perfect condition for up to 2 years before starting to degrade slowly
But need to be careful. The buds are in a kind of safetybox with retarded opening door.
You need to take the jar out of the fridge for 24 hours and let it rest at room temperature before opening it, otherwise they would degrade very fast
Take the stash you need for a week and place the vacuum jar back to the fridge.
These buds out of the fridge will degrade fast. They are fresh for a week but after 10 days they degrade, but it's an effective way of conserving your favourite buds for at least 50 months intact

The Prepara vacuum jars are not good for fermenting either
But these jars with the vacuum pressing lid are very good for curing and storing long term, there is less air in these jars than in the other ones, they keep the buds fresh long time and cures slowly. What is good about this cure: there is no need to open and close every day. Once you get the cure you like, you store it there and stay fresh 8 months at least while curing slowly and improving quality in this jar.
I never had the opportunity to test it longer than 8 months, I would like to know if after 2 years keep the quality like in the fridge.

Have a nice weekend

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi my friend I have never kept anything except seeds in a fridge.
If you like your buds to remain fresh then it sounds like a good idea.
I personally do not mind my buds or cobs degrading over time as thats the way I like them to cure.
Its just a personal taste thing on my part, the fresh taste of the terps ect has never been a priority with me.
I enjoy the taste of freshly cured cob the aroma and terps ect.
But I also like the for high you can only get from aged (degraded) buds.
It is all down to your personal taste and as long as your happy thats all that matters in the end.
I will give the fridge a go next time I have some young terpy cob and see if it keeps it that way.

funkyhorse

What I mean with degrading is that they lose potency very fast after 10 days out of the fridge and that is something you dont really want to happen to your buds/cobs
I certainly dont care much about terp, I just care about the high. If the high is your priority then you wouldnt like your buds/cobs to be out of the fridge for too long
One thing is aged buds, another thing is degraded/potency lost buds

Tangwena

Veteran
What I mean with degrading is that they lose potency very fast after 10 days out of the fridge and that is something you dont really want to happen to your buds/cobs
I certainly dont care much about terp, I just care about the high. If the high is your priority then you wouldnt like your buds/cobs to be out of the fridge for too long
One thing is aged buds, another thing is degraded/potency lost buds
Thats incredible I would not have thought that was possible for it to loose potency simply by its exposure to the air.
I certainly have never had this happen, but then I dont keep them in a fridge so I cant comment.
Have you got any pics of just out of the fridge and then when it has degraded and lost some power?
Please do a before and after pic so we can all learn something.

funkyhorse

I started using vacuum jars after I travelled for 2 weeks and when I came back home I lost my buds to mold in the glass jar. I lived in many different environments but had never seen this. Not only buds, but anything left in a locked house here for 2 weeks in just jars get lost to mold: spices(I dont mind losing oregano, but losing ganja pisses me off), grains like rice, beans like coffee or dry pastas.

It never happened to me something like this in other parts of the world. These are wetlands. Today is a sunny and clear hot day of 30+ celsius and humidity is normal at 75%. The driest day of the year gets down to 60% after at least a full week of sunny and clear days
Every day in the morning all windows frames and doors are watered every day of the year. A lot of dew

I only used the fridge for storage on 2014 and 2015, I have no pictures and never took pictures but the looks of the bud didnt change, the organoleptic properties didnt change either, what changed was the high that after 2 weeks started to fade away. This method was taught to me by a friend living here all his life having to cope with this weather

I tried this year to plant a sativa in the wild forest and let her alone, I never fed her nor watered her, I never looked after her. She thrived, she was so happy there in the forest. I always wondered how she watered herself. I believe from the morning dew. I cut her at the beginning of june when weather went down to 4C. I didnt expect her to grow or finnish in the wild.
Trees here grow fast and huge, it is really impressive, different from other parts of the world I have been before.

So I have no choice but to keep buds on vacuum. With the Prepara jars no need to keep ganja on the fridge. I doubt you would have this problem in your drier environment. My environment is an extreme humid forest next to the coast, a lot of biodiversity

Tangwena

Veteran
Here are a few THH, OTHaze and OTH/Panama cobs I did a while back. Tang, you've seen them already....long wet sweat.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image
Lovely work brother you have excelled yourself
I have never managed to get such golden results I take my hat off to you sir.
I have seen similar cobs in Malawi but never reproduced that perfect Malawi Gold color beautiful curing my friend your an artist.

Tangwena

Veteran
I started using vacuum jars after I travelled for 2 weeks and when I came back home I lost my buds to mold in the glass jar. I lived in many different environments but had never seen this. Not only buds, but anything left in a locked house here for 2 weeks in just jars get lost to mold: spices(I dont mind losing oregano, but losing ganja pisses me off), grains like rice, beans like coffee or dry pastas.

It never happened to me something like this in other parts of the world. These are wetlands. Today is a sunny and clear hot day of 30+ celsius and humidity is normal at 75%. The driest day of the year gets down to 60% after at least a full week of sunny and clear days
Every day in the morning all windows frames and doors are watered every day of the year. A lot of dew

I only used the fridge for storage on 2014 and 2015, I have no pictures and never took pictures but the looks of the bud didnt change, the organoleptic properties didnt change either, what changed was the high that after 2 weeks started to fade away. This method was taught to me by a friend living here all his life having to cope with this weather

I tried this year to plant a sativa in the wild forest and let her alone, I never fed her nor watered her, I never looked after her. She thrived, she was so happy there in the forest. I always wondered how she watered herself. I believe from the morning dew. I cut her at the beginning of june when weather went down to 4C. I didnt expect her to grow or finnish in the wild.
Trees here grow fast and huge, it is really impressive, different from other parts of the world I have been before.

So I have no choice but to keep buds on vacuum. With the Prepara jars no need to keep ganja on the fridge. I doubt you would have this problem in your drier environment. My environment is an extreme humid forest next to the coast, a lot of biodiversity
I see your problem its the humidity thats causing mold on everything.
Even the breakdown in the high I suspect.

I am lucky where I live we have the exact opposite problem way too dry.
It looks as though the fridge is your savior no wonder you need to keep the buds in the fridge.

I was in Northern Queensland on holiday and during the rainy season mold grows on everything there as well.

Now I understand where your coming from I do apologise if I came across a bit shirty and non believing initially.

With cobs it would def halt the cure as the cure needs warmth to continue.
I may give it a shot next harvest you never know I might learn something.

Tangwena

Veteran
Purple Honduras x Panama cobs 6 and 12 hr sweat

Purple Honduras x Panama cobs 6 and 12 hr sweat

These have been aging for 10 months and should be ready for new year yeeha!
The first pic is a 6 hour sweat you can see the sugar leaves are greener than the second and third pics that were 12 hour sweats.
The smell and taste are mind blowing fermented fruity hashish is the best I can do.
Champagne for the soul chewed.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

funkyhorse

You are right, the fridge halts the cure. What the fridge does is to lock the cure at your chosen point. If you cured it for 3 months and you want to lock it, then vacuum and fridge
What I am impressed is the improvement I found on buds left on vacuum out of the fridge. It continued curing slowly at a lower pace and a little different than the glass jar.

In my environment it is very difficult to make 6 months cures. Vacuum jars are a great tool for long time curing in very humid weather

I see your problem its the humidity thats causing mold on everything.
Even the breakdown in the high I suspect.

I am lucky where I live we have the exact opposite problem way too dry.
It looks as though the fridge is your savior no wonder you need to keep the buds in the fridge.

I was in Northern Queensland on holiday and during the rainy season mold grows on everything there as well.

Now I understand where your coming from I do apologise if I came across a bit shirty and non believing initially.

With cobs it would def halt the cure as the cure needs warmth to continue.
I may give it a shot next harvest you never know I might learn something.

I wood

Having another go at cobbing, this time with two proper sativas.
Khmer gold and green honduran haze.
Both flowered for 19 weeks
Khmer gold was made into fake thai sticks and the green haze blocks.

Khmer gold being loaded Some of the very stringy green haze

For the inspiration and information to follow through I will always be grateful to you, Tangwena.
Thank you much.

Last edited: