What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blynx's 1 sqft CFL cab & other CFL micro cabs

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
blynx you are doing the cannabis community a huge boost by documenting your cfl micro grows. can u give us a breakdown of your nute schedual?

I don't really have one.

If I'm the plants are in re-used soil, then they are only fed water. The re-used soil is just used soil with some bone meal, alfalfa meal, and biotone added back in.

If the plants are in a promix/ewc/perlite mix then I will occasionally make up a nute mix of EJ grow/bloom/catalyst/microblast, guanos, a little algamac and some age old bloom. I bubble until I hit a pH around 6.3, then I water the plants with it. There are no exact measurements on the amounts I use. I go a little heavier with the grow/kelp in the beginning and heavier on the bloom (and lighter to no kelp) from middle to end (I never feed closer than 3 weeks before harvest)

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the C99 BX1 at the end of 5 days of flower.

C99 BX1

Day 05 Flower

This is only day 5 of flowering and the growth is quickly reaching the lights, so some training is in order.

I tied a couple branches down to maintain their horizontal growth, supercropped a couple and used some small pieces of wire to train some other branches.

Back in the cab

I did supercrop one stem a bit too hard and almost completely broke it off. It was just hanging on by a fiber or two, so I pulled out some tape and tried patching it. I'll find out in the next day whether it survives or not.

:joint:

hazydreams

I did supercrop one stem a bit too hard and almost completely broke it off. It was just hanging on by a fiber or two, so I pulled out some tape and tried patching it. I'll find out in the next day whether it survives or not.

:joint:

i feel your pain. I supercropped a branch to get it down away from the light and two days latter i decided to "move" the spar away from the light. i ended up completely removing it as it was weak and snapped right off..... the perils of cramming plants into spaces in which they dont belong.....

just like to thank you as well for the documentation and dedication to growing micro. your the reason i started my micro cab! 65 grams from 1.6 square feet is awesome. great work!!!!!!!! im hoping that in 2 square feet i can accumulate 4 ounces this go around. time will tell!!!

Strangely

Thanks for clearing that up Confidential! In the UK these are dearly held favourite of most stoners, judging by the link it looks like they're available worldwide!...

http://www.amazon.com/McVities-HobNobs-Milk-Chocolate-9oz/dp/B000HY57AW

Can't decide if I want to scrog or LST in a little cab..

I'm doing both (quite badly) in my little cab. I like the twisty wire Blynx is using to keep his plant/s where he wants it on the Scrog screen. Following suit, I just did that last night to mine. Seems to me that's doing both?

jiffgins

Thanks for clearing that up Confidential! In the UK these are dearly held favourite of most stoners, judging by the link it looks like they're available worldwide!...

http://www.amazon.com/McVities-HobNobs-Milk-Chocolate-9oz/dp/B000HY57AW

I'm doing both (quite badly) in my little cab. I like the twisty wire Blynx is using to keep his plant/s where he wants it on the Scrog screen. Following suit, I just did that last night to mine. Seems to me that's doing both?

Ya, I just decided on 1x1 of actual screen for the first go around, cab construction begins tomorrow :dance013:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya, I just decided on 1x1 of actual screen for the first go around, cab construction begins tomorrow :dance013:

Cool, get a thread started and take lots of pics!

-=-=-=-

I like progression pics so I whipped this one up of the recently finished Sweet Widow Lavender scrog.

picture.php

-=-=-=-

Here's the current C99 BX1 scrog

C99 BX1

Day 06 Veg

picture.php

I did a little more training on the scrog

picture.php

Screen still needs to be filled more before I will flip it to 12/12

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the single C99 BX1 after the first week of flowering

C99 BX1

Day 07 Flower

It looks like the broken stem is going to make it :dance013:

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wow O wow U r turning out to be quite the good scroger. :D

so around how much do u yield in 1-2 months?

I ask cuz IM thinking Im not yielding enough indoor bud a month.
and cant figure out y.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow O wow U r turning out to be quite the good scroger. :D

so around how much do u yield in 1-2 months?

I ask cuz IM thinking Im not yielding enough indoor bud a month.
and cant figure out y.

Each cfl cab appears to be producing about 1.25-1.5 oz for each 10 week run.

Guess it would depend on how many cabs you run (two cabs staggered would give you 1.25-1.5oz every 5 weeks) and how much you smoke as to whether a cfl cab can meet your needs.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 1 sqft cfl cab has come down :jump:
1 sqft CFL Cab

picture.php

picture.php

Here's all the plants after they've been chopped

picture.php

Getting the next round ready!

Great work as usual, Blynx! You make it look so easy.

If you have time once everything is dry and smokeable, could you give your impressions on the Grape Krush? I'm really interested in the flavor and effect. Did you start it from seed, cut, or a cut that you originally started from seed? I've heard GK is not being made anymore b/c dj lost the parents, but I am not sure if that's hearsay or truth.

I'm also curious if you've noticed if the lack of penetration power from cfls has any effect on the rate of maturation of the lower buds. Have you compared trichs between colas and popcorn? I know it can be strain dependent, where some will finish evenly and others will mature in stages. Just curious as to your observations.

Thanks for sharing your work. I hope you enjoy those buds. If they smoke half as good as they look, I'd say you're in for a good time. :tiphat:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great work as usual, Blynx! You make it look so easy.

If you have time once everything is dry and smokeable, could you give your impressions on the Grape Krush? I'm really interested in the flavor and effect. Did you start it from seed, cut, or a cut that you originally started from seed? I've heard GK is not being made anymore b/c dj lost the parents, but I am not sure if that's hearsay or truth.

I'm also curious if you've noticed if the lack of penetration power from cfls has any effect on the rate of maturation of the lower buds. Have you compared trichs between colas and popcorn? I know it can be strain dependent, where some will finish evenly and others will mature in stages. Just curious as to your observations.

Thanks for sharing your work. I hope you enjoy those buds. If they smoke half as good as they look, I'd say you're in for a good time. :tiphat:
Thanks.

I was gifted some Grape Krush F2 seeds. This plant is a clone from a plant I started from those seeds. I decided to keep her and have run her a couple times. It's got a real nice grape smell, turns real purple and the buds are super dense. The smoke is a more cerebral high, definitely not an indica body high.

If you keep your plants under 12" and keep them within an inch or two of the lights, then I think CFLs penetrate just fine. For the most part you will still get popcorn buds down low but it's always been finished for me when I chop my plants.

-=-=-=-

wet weight???

Wet and dry weights will be posted at the end of the week. I decided to stop posting the wet weight ahead of time since it kinda gives away the dry weight imo.

-=-=-=-

I do have the next round for the 1 sqft cfl cab going. I think it will be interesting because it's another cleaning out the extras/old/cull clones.

Here's what they look like. They are all in 3" pots.

1 sqft CFL Cab

Plants that will be in the 9th run of the cab

picture.php

picture.php

Some of the plants are getting old. The Casey Jones on the far left has been in the 3" container for over 7 months! They've also never been fed, which is why most don't look too good.

I will still be using only 4 containers, one for each strain.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since the plants that will be run in the next round are so tall, there will definitely need to be some training done. The nice thing about older woody growth is that it's usually strong and flexible which allows for a lot of manipulation.

I transplanted the clones to their new home last weekend and they've been vegging for 4 days.

On day 4 of veg, I trained all the plants and put them under 12/12.

Here are the plants with before and after training pics. The training was a combination of pinching/bending/supercropping and lst'ing with some thin wires (used to hang xmas ornaments).

1 sqft CFL Cab

Day 00 Flower

Casey Jones before training

Casey Jones after training

-=-=-=-

Katsu Bubba Kush x SD IBL (kbkxsdibl1) before training

Katsu Bubba Kush x SD IBL (kbkxsdibl1) after training

-=-=-=-

PBSD4 before training

PBSD4 after training

-=-=-=-

Sour Creek x Casey Jones (scxcj) before training

Sour Creek x Casey Jones (scxcj2) after training

Cab shot

Compilation

picture.php

picture.php

I don't expect the older yellow leaves to green up, but hopefully we'll see some new growth starting shortly.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I did a little more training on the C99 BX1 scrog.

C99 BX1

Day 11 Veg

picture.php

here's the cab after some more training

picture.php

I plan on doing some more training on monday, then flipping the lights to 12/12