What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it worth the risk to bring back Afghani landraces from a deployment?

indicasyndicate

Saying that I am a member of the US military narrows it down to be about one of a million people so I dont really feel like that is going out on a limb. I haven't grown anything in about 19 months anyways. However what may be risky is trying to bring back seeds from my upcoming deployment to where it all started for cannabis. The opportunity is exciting enough that I am considering taking the risk, but not without first considering the potential disaster and discussing it here with people who may know more about what would be involved. There is a very real chance that I could find something very special out there, something not Amsterdam-erized (crossed with skunk or Northern Lights). I am not saying I will find the holy grail but I may find something very unique especially at a time when cannabis cultivation is very much in vogue and seen at least as a prefferable alternative to poppies. So, with that all said, I am opening the floor to discussion:

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Not if it means a huge risk. But you could find the "one". Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Thanks for your service.

G

Green Supreme

Mail them to a safe addy. Don't carry them on you. Good luck. Peace GS

I

itsus

damn skippy bring back some seeds, if guys are stealing body armor and getting it back home, seeds shouldn't be shit.

G

Gilles&Cheryl

Is it that big of a risk? I know it would be bad to get caught with the seeds, but seeds are very, very easy to hide.

When would the biggest risk occur, during the trip home or while gathering the seeds?

Will you be strip searched at any point on the ride home?

I wouldn't think it would be that hard if you really wanted to do it. I mean, people smuggle contraband in and out of prisons every day.

The common denominator in all the dutch strains is not northern lights or skunk - its afghan. Amsterdamerized=Afghanerized. In fact, there are only a small handful of strains available at seed banks that do not contain afghan.

DankSide

so is it worth the risk to take a handful of seeds back with you to the states so you can start breeding, flowering and smoking some legit afghani based herb? Considering seeds aren't a big problem to hide, you tell me camera guy. Even if you don't find the time to grow them you could at least shove them off to a friend.

indicasyndicate

Thanks. My guess is that I would have to bring any seeds back somewhere in my digestive tract in order to do it safely. Could it be worth it? In my mind, yes but only if I find something outstanding. As far as risk goes, I would hate to make it all the way through my deployment safely and then get hemmed up on my way home. I guess my question would be; Are they going to x-ray me? That seems a little extreme.

zenoonez

Veteran
Mail them to a safe addy. Don't carry them on you. Good luck. Peace GS

Mail them in small batches but make sure you wash the bejesus out of them and pack them as close to airtight as you can. If you can get small glass containers or small bottles it would work perfectly. You could pack 15 or so seeds in a plastic baggie, tape it, dip in wax, tape again and slide it into the jar in some newspaper so it looks like you are preventing the bottle from breaking. Shouldn't be suspicious. Just don't use your name on the return and mail that stuff to a safe addy. Bringing back less than 100 seeds would be a shame. I would bring back a bunch and make sure they are marked for the characteristics of the plants they were from, that way you can breed distinct lines when you get back. But hey, thats a lot of work and such. If you are just a hobby grower I say no dice, not worth the risk, if you are interested in working through the genetics, go for it.

indicasyndicate

Would mailing them back be safer? I am prettiy sure they search mail pretty thouroughly. We may very well get strip searched, that's why I see making myself a mule as the best option so far. I don't get the "camera guy" comment.

zenoonez

Veteran
I think he is talking about a camera being a good place to smuggle things. I know my old film camera smuggled some stuff :) I would just mail it honestly. Being a mule could work but thats a long time to have something in your system without... passing it should we say... Like I said, I would mail them back in inconspicuous ways to a non grow house. The most important thing is to deal with the smell of the cannabis. Furthermore, I wouldn't go traipsing through someones pot field either, I would try to get their okay on it first. Unless your intent is to pull from bagseed... But yes, make sure you clean them and do your best to contain the smell, thats what will get you caught.

DankSide

the camera guy comment is from a shamwow commercial.
Sometimes the mind wanders, mine wandered randomly to the set of a product commercial - I mean no offense by it.
LOL - I like the way you think though zenoonez, that may work in some cases but I myself have no idea how thoroughly the army would check your stuff going back. The mail is a great idea for seeds, and I think you should attempt that one. Again, not sure how thoroughly army searches packages/letters from that area so you may need to try shipping it out of country if you get that chance.

I feel like seeds would be so easy to hide. Even if things got iffy, there are all sorts of places to hide measly little half millimeter seeds. If I were you I would be torn on bringing seeds or hash. Maybe even put some seeds in the hash, wrap it up well and ingest (though I don't know how the seeds would like being enclosed in hash). I highly doubt they would search you via x-ray unless you give up a strong vibe that you're up to something. Just stay cool and don't make a big deal of it. Take some medication to keep you from doing the doo for the plane ride back.

indicasyndicate

Thanks for the suggestion. I just hope I get enough time to do all that prep work if I am trying to mail them. We really don't get a lot of personal space. As far as walking trhou people's fields, my job mostly involves walking around looking for insurgents. So, I will be walking on people's property almost everyday. I am trying to learn a little Pashto so perhaps I can build a little repoire with the locals while not arrousing the suspicions of other people in my platoon. There is a lot of opportunity to gather seeds the old fashioned way as well. My deployment will put me there during the second half of next year so I should be there around harvest time. I may be able to just grab colas and pick out the mature seeds.

Muddy Paws

I have some that were brought back by a soldier..he got them during a raid on a hash op.MJ grows wild right outside of most of the FOBs from what I'm told.

I would suggest mailing them home instead of trying to get past the Military customs as they often have K-9s on duty.

Come home safe soldier!

indicasyndicate

Hash, I think would be crossing the line from risky to downright suicidal. I can smoke a little while I am there, maybe. I am taking the long view on this. The seeds could always yield great hash down the line. I just don't see that happening. I would be lying if I said it wasn't tempting. They are probably looking for people who want to bring back hash, genetics smugglers are probably not on their radar.

Get a big pack of ink pens, and pull the ink cores out. Then put 20-30 seeds in a pen, and place a 'q' tip in with them. Put tops back on pens and mail them to a safe addy.This works everday for people trading seeds. Or you can donate seed to Gypsy's server fund!

CovertCrops

Indicasyndicate - Very pleased to see other military guys around. Happy veterans day bro, come back safe. I never got to the "stan" but had my feet in iraq. I would try to mail them first. While I agree with muddy that they will have k-9's, dogs can only be trained to sniff bombs or drugs, they can't do both. So, I would expect that most military dogs in Afganistan are trained to sniff out bombs. Seeds are very small and easy to conceal, militray gear is full of tremendous hiding places. Think long and hard, I'm sure you can find a place to stow them. Good luck on your endeavour.

Thank you for your service on Veteran's Day

Thank you for your service on Veteran's Day

use the mail as described above. all dogs, including drug sniffing dogs, HATE the smell of common black pepper we use to season our food. they turn theirs noses away from the black pepper scent. when you have packed the seeds securely, place them in a small, sealable baggie, sprinkle in a generous amount of black pepper, seal the package and mail it.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
it hink it would be pretty unlikely they would x-ray you unless they had a suspision. if you are going to go the mailing route, before you go get a peice of corrugated plastic the correct size to fit seeds in the grooves. use a pen ink thingy, u know the skinny inner part. to push them in. this will be the safest thing for the seeds to make sure they arent damaged. great idea btw. i hope you find something nice.

zenoonez

Veteran
The ink pen idea is great. I would also encourage you to try to learn a little of the language. Building a report with some growers is a great way. I have to say though, if you find a plant that is the grail do whatever you have to to get the seeds. Buy a oz from the guy or snap a piece of a mature cola off. I would look hard before fucking someone's field up though. While weary of troops and outsiders, I have been told by friends that have come back that if you honestly deal with them and are nice and your face shows it then many of the people will come around after a while. I mean if we are winning hearts and minds, thats what you are supposed to be doing anyways. A friend of mine is working on some lines he brought back from his stint in Afghanistan and they are fairly generic piney afgan stuff so far. Nothing special though he did pull an interesting pheno out, it seems it is a pretty recessive trait so it will have to be worked. Oh and the packs of pens is a good idea as well. I would just randomize it, do different things each time. No real prep work needed, just some tape and a candle, go to the shitter and do your work, make it fast, and dont get caught. I can't stress enough though, if your package is going to get caught its going to be from scent so figure out how you are going to prevent that.

dragunn

you really want a black mark on your record(may be even be dishonorably discharged). for a handfull of seeds.just spend a couple hundred bucks and order afgani stains from a few seed sites when your out of the service.