Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > Side by Side Grow Experiments > Controlled Spectrum experiments

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts!
Controlled Spectrum experiments Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2017, 10:27 AM #1
ganjourno

ganjourno has a spectacular aura aboutganjourno has a spectacular aura aboutganjourno has a spectacular aura aboutganjourno has a spectacular aura aboutganjourno has a spectacular aura about
Controlled Spectrum experiments

There are many threads around the net on MH vs HPS vs LED and various flavors thereof, but such tests may have wildly different efficiency and thus they are controlling for watts rather than spectrum.

I'm looking for a test that is specifically controlled for spectrum. For example, three grows from clone to bag with identical PPFD at the canopy across four spectrums:
2:1 Blue:Red
1:1 Blue:Red
1:2 Blue:Red
1:3 Blue:Red

This is possible with today's LED technology.

The point is to find the best spectral ratio for flowering so that the most efficient emitters of that profile can be identified.

Is anyone aware of any well controlled experiments on spectrum?
ganjourno is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 AM #2
Medfinder

Medfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really niceMedfinder is just really nice
Growers have realized an increase of up to 30% THC percentage by using supplemental UVB light but the actual mechanism was not well understood.
https://medicalmarijuanagrowing.blogs...y-results.html
Acts 2:38King James Version (KJV)

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Genesis 1:29 King James Version (KJV)

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Medfinder is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 10:46 AM #3
Andyo

Andyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of light
8k mh added to hps

1st test 1987 100w sylvania 7.2 k in a reflector with 400w hps for veg and flowering,no picture
2 test 1990 400 w 8k mh hung vertically no reflector between 2 osram 1000w hps pots rotated every 5 days
just for flowering veg was with osram POWERSTAR HQI 1000,s pre uv filter era
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?a...ctureid=610738

sol-digital hps with blue
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?a...tureid=1743937

Last edited by Andyo; 10-13-2017 at 11:12 AM..
Andyo is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:22 PM #4
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of light
Wink

I did similar side by sides using equal photon counts with the different spectrums. Pretty much same same as you with slightly different wording.

That was in 2012, times have changed the technology quite a bit since then. My final results indicated a hybrid lighting system to balance the spectrum fairly close to that of the sun, those fringe wavelengths at the edge of the spectrum have an outsize effect compared to the percentage of total light they contain.
Phaeton is offline Quote

Old 10-13-2017, 05:46 PM #5
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of lightPhaeton is a glorious beacon of light
Wink

[quote=Andyo;8082770]flowering veg was with osram POWERSTAR HQI 1000,s pre uv filter era
QUOTE]

I am impressed, I did not realize there were still working bulbs from the late 1950's when it was possible (although difficult) to find an illegal bulb passing UVB. Illegal to even manufacture in the 1960's.
Today you would have to remove the outer envelope to get to the UV, regular glass and plastic stops UV, it takes a specially formulated glass to let UVB pass. This is highly not recommended as the emitted UVB from an HID is 100 to 1000 times the percentage in sunlight.

The rules have been relaxed and I have found two bulbs advertising UVB that actually move the UVB meter needle off zero.
Solis Tech managed 2 uw and Sun Pulse flickered between 0 and 1 uw. Rules are difficult to bypass. The minimum required for plant response is 50 uw at the leaf.
Lumitex or T5 for UV at effective levels.

Part of the continued research done while gardening.

PS: UVA and Blue elicit the same response from plants, it is the UVB that has the destructive power needed. This my be the basis for much confusion about UV and plants. UVA is a human designation for the cutoff point where our eyes no longer receive the light. The plants are unaware of this and treat UVA and Blue as one and the same.
Phaeton is offline Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 03:39 AM #6
stewart169

stewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the rough
I have a couple Reptisun 10.0 T5 22" in fixtures like the guy in the YouTube. I used them in flower over two plants in my small tent. I am not sure if the helped or not but I plan on hanging them back up within a few inches of top of plants again when I flip my current grow in about 4 weeks.
Some where around here was a guy claiming some particular T5 tubes were giving substantial readings at 3 FEET. I'm subbed.

Here is the brand mentioned.
https://www.ushio.com/product/ultra5...r-fluorescent/

I can't find the product talked about but that is the brand. I have the actual tubes link bookmarked at home.

I find the 3 FEET distance claim something that needs some proof but it's interesting. No hijack ment.

Last edited by stewart169; 10-14-2017 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: Add link.
stewart169 is offline Quote

Old 10-14-2017, 07:51 AM #7
Andyo

Andyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of lightAndyo is a glorious beacon of light
3rd world

[quote=Phaeton;8083005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyo View Post
flowering veg was with osram POWERSTAR HQI 1000,s pre uv filter era
QUOTE]

I am impressed, I did not realize there were still working bulbs from the late 1950's when it was possible (although difficult) to find an illegal bulb passing UVB. Illegal to even manufacture in the 1960's.
Today you would have to remove the outer envelope to get to the UV, regular glass and plastic stops UV, it takes a specially formulated glass to let UVB pass. This is highly not recommended as the emitted UVB from an HID is 100 to 1000 times the percentage in sunlight.

The rules have been relaxed and I have found two bulbs advertising UVB that actually move the UVB meter needle off zero.
Solis Tech managed 2 uw and Sun Pulse flickered between 0 and 1 uw. Rules are difficult to bypass. The minimum required for plant response is 50 uw at the leaf.
Lumitex or T5 for UV at effective levels.

Part of the continued research done while gardening.

PS: UVA and Blue elicit the same response from plants, it is the UVB that has the destructive power needed. This my be the basis for much confusion about UV and plants. UVA is a human designation for the cutoff point where our eyes no longer receive the light. The plants are unaware of this and treat UVA and Blue as one and the same.
I looked today the lamps i used here 5 yrs ago no longer availble.
lolI was born in the 50,s

but i think these may be worth testing as supplemental
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-150...d6L94NzOkkwb7g