What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which small LED?

dddaver

Veteran
I've decided to upgrade my ghetto mini-cab to a 2'x2'x4' little tent and get rid of me old 150W HPS I made from a security light. LED has finally come along enough to make it worth it. I'm keeping my 4" Vortex inline. The thing's a beast but is reliable and sturdy. If I need I guess I could go 3'x3'x5' for a tent.

Which LED would you suggest? I personally prefer the hlg 100 quantum board that Amazon sells for $149. https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Boar...&link_code=qs&qid=1558556047&s=gateway&sr=8-1 but I'd need to get that smaller tent for the right coverage for that one. Then a member here swears by this Home Depot light https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...-000-Lumens-5000K-Daylight-50232161/302456569. Lastly is the Mars Hydro TS-1000 I can get for $127. https://www.mars-hydro.com/hpcall/m...0-led-full-spectrum-hydroponic-led-grow-light

Which light do you like? I'm flexible on the tent size. For that HD one I'd have to go at least 3'x3'x5' for it to fit.

I'm also curious about yields I might expect from something like that? I realize that's highly variable but I do have some experience behind me that might help. But I know little to nothing about LEDs.

J

jaded1

I have 2 of those leds,qb's and mars hydro dddaver and would prob go for the ts-1000 out of the 2 as has a slightly larger footprint it can cover(70/70 over 60/60).
You'll be amazed at how much light either of them put out compared to a 150w hps

blubear

Based on the three options you have provided, I would suggest the HLG model and the Mars TS-1000 LED would be my second choice. There is no real reason for choosing HLG over Mars. The HLG uses Samsung LEDs and a MeanWell LED driver. Many people have switched over to LED because HLG's design works with impressive yields when they have a properly managed canopy.

The Commercial Electric LED is not all that impressive nor efficient. At 18,000 lumens for 171 watts thats only 105.3 lumens per watt. Plus, the LEDs used are unknown.

dddaver

Veteran
I think Amazon sold out of HLG 100. So I was perusing ebay. They both had them for $149,

One seller on ebay had sold all but 3 units. I always select "new" and "buy now" on there. But that guy had MAKE OFFER on his page too. So I offered $135. He took it. Supposed to be delivered by June 1. Guess I better order a 2'x2' tent.

Curious to see what yields I'll get. Small LEDs I tried before and LEDs really sucked, like less than a third of what that little 150W HPS put out.

Green Squall

Mars just had a contest here and said the TS-2000 is coming out mid June.
Its might be worth while to wait.
Use ICMAG as a coupon code.

Latest posts

Latest posts