What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It's a male now?

sativo

Sorry if this has been asked before but I read through most of the hermie threads wich aren't as many as I thought would be but I couldn't find the answer. So, on like the 11th node in veg the plant grew some balls :badday:
So that's it?!? Now it's a male? Please don't tell me it's over. She was the star of all of them so short and loaded with branches :frown:

Storm Crow

Veteran
Not entirely! Pick off the few male flowers and cross your fingers! Sometimes that is all that is needed. Hermies vary in their degree of maleness. Some plants will throw just a few male flowers, others are 50/50! Had the plant been sexed as a female? Shown some V hairs and then grew balls?

Most likely, she is a plain old hermie and will just keep popping balls all over! If you are observant and patient, you can pick the flowers off on a daily basis and continue the grow. I wouldn't use any seeds from her, except as a "toss and pray" type thing (hermie-ism is a good survival trait in the wild). Keep an eye on her sisters! These things "run in the family".- Granny

G

Hey, if those balls have two hairs growing out of the very tip of each "ball" don't worry.

What that is is unfertalized seed pods. In which case you're gold.

The hairs will be much longer than the "balls."

FarmerTed

If it is a hermie i would say chop it down immediately unless you dont mind having seeds in all of your plants. Pluck them if you like but, miss one and you've got seeds. Also keep in mind sometimes they will grow sacs inside your buds making them very hard to spot. I know, it just happened to me on my last grow. I plucked every day for the first week til i stopped finding them. Weeks later i saw what looked like seeds forming in my main colas and lower buds. There were'nt any sacs that i could find until i noticed one or two blending in with the seed pods on my main colas, they dont "hang" when they're in the buds. Sure enough they were releasing pollen and i never knew it til it was too late. So far i've plucked about 150 seeds outta 3 colas. Some were mature some not so its been going on for awhile. Just to let you know what you may be facing so you can make an informed decision as to what you want to do with it. Hope this helps & good luck, i know it sucks when it happens :cuss: -FT

Queso45

If these are the only pre-flowers you have seen and they are balls... then you probably have a male. You still have plenty of time to determine sex though before you would consider chopping. If you have female pre-flowers on all the nodes... and the 11th has balls---- maybe when you switch to 12/12 the balls will have hairs pop out.

The only way you can be 100% sure is when you're in the flowering phase. If you are 2 weeks into flower and all u see are balls then you have a male. But you still have time to see.

I came accross 2 plants like that before, one of them had some balls at the 3rd nod and all the way up was all female flowers, also had another one that threw 3 balls at one of my 4th to top nod and the rest of the plant was beautiful female flowers. I killed them. One of the breeders on here say something about those aren't "True Female". So i guess you still have yourself a female but she can go both ways i guess. lol

sativo

Mine was female from the beginning (I started in 12/12) it had female flowers all the way until like the 10th node when I noticed 2 sacks. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. On a much happier note, I just harvested 7 grams off my runt (my first ever harvest) :jump: